Always, always carry a torch ... Channel Tunnel fire

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Daily Mail UK Report.

'The train came to a grinding halt, we were all thrown forwards, the lights went out, and there was total mayhem - people started to panic.

'People immediately flocked towards the emergency exit, but it was either locked or jammed, because it was impossible to open it. By this time, people were really starting to panic, and smoke was pouring into the carriage.

'In the end, one of the men on board - I think he was English - found a hammer from somewhere and we were able to smash one of the windows and climb out.

'We groped around in the pitch dark, looking for the emergency exit. It was like a bad dream.

I always carry at least one torch, especially whenever I am going inside any building, or may be out after dark anywhere.
I am surprised no-one used their mobile phone for illumination, at least not reported.

Last edited:

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
These things can and do happen, its lucky nobody was killed but carrying a flashlight would have been a good idea for some of the passengers.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
32 lorry driver passengers and not a keychain light amongst them !

spykelight

Newly Enlightened
Obviously, I was not on that train. People just don't see how a litle preparation can be that handy.:ohgeez:

Marduke

Flashaholic
That's the type of circumstances I would think twice about pulling out a light for fear of a mob mentality setting in. I think your chances are just as likely to be attacked as they are for you to "become the leader" because you are "obviously prepared for this sort of thing"

superflytnt

Enlightened
Bummer! I hope everyone is OK. I always think of things like this when morons ask me "why do you always carry a flashlight?"

Any vehicle that uses a tunnel should have good emergency lighting and the operators should have good torches IMO.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always carry an Arc AAA-P with my keys and my nokia 1200 has a flashlight function but I have to admit that there have been occasions where I forgot I was carrying them and ended up fumbling around in the dark :ohgeez:

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Daily Mail UK Report.

I always carry at least one torch, especially whenever I am going inside any building, or may be out after dark anywhere.
I am surprised no-one used their mobile phone for illumination, at least not reported.

Yep, I agree with you. U.S people are more sensitive than european about the fact that you could always need a torch in bad situations like Channel tunnel fire or lot of many other incidents which can happens !!

If you haven't one yet, get one soon :wave:

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
It may have been really dark, but apparently they were able to get to the door to panic in front of it. One of them managed to find a hammer and beat out a window.

No matter how well lit, I'd bet trapped in the car smelling smoke, the panic level would have been about the same for most of them. The best survival tool on the car would be the same if they all had 3 lights each - the brain on the one guy who stayed calm and did something useful. A light combined with a level head would have been a powerful combination. A light and mass panic just lets you see the panic better...if you can even think enough to turn it on.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
i've always got the 'i am so paranoid' look when people see my flashlight on my belt holster... :sigh:

for some the light they probably have is for cancer sticks. :ohgeez:

Dantor

Enlightened
Shame on them,if it were 32 CPF members there would be enough lights to light up the whole tunnel. :grin2:
This is one reason I EDC lights and other survival items.

yeah we'd be like; "Mines Brighter!, I have more flood, more throw...!"

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect in the panic and confusion some may have forgot that they had a small keychain button light.

It is true once you start carrying, it is hard to imagine not having it. That is why a keychain light is always a good backup even if you regularly carry something larger. You would kill yourself if you needed a light and didn't have it on you.

I'm glad everyone is OK!