What "Large" LS Lamp to get??

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
What \"Large\" LS Lamp to get??

I cant decided on what "Large" LS to get... Ive been looking at the Blaster VI/II, Inretech's Trilight and Super6, Inova X5T's and Lightwave 4000's. Im looking for a "hiking" type LED light with a medium flood beam with a bit of throw. I already have an ARC LS and an assortment of SF incans. What am i looking for???

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What

I think if you narrow down what it is you are trying to do or what you are going after , you might get some responses, this is much like saying your going to get a new car and your are considering a Porsche carerra, chevy corvette, a Volkswagen Passat and a kia subcompact, nobody would have a clue where to begin, or at lest that was my take of your post when I first read it.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you're talking large, you might want to consider Inretech's Helios...

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Inretech Super6 doesn't really fit into that list of lights, it's a really different animal. Not much throw, on a totally dark night, about 30 ft.
It would be excellent for a "hiking" light, but I can't comment on the others in the list, as I don't have any of them.

I do have a 5W Megaclops, and there is plenty of throw with it, and a wide corona.

Re: IRT Super 6
Re: Super6 comments

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast

A lot of people have positive comments about the ARC AAA, but that light is ONLY useful in COMPLETE darkness. If there's the slightest bit of ambient light, it's barely visible. Is the X5T and Lightwave 4000 like that? What I really want is a flood type beam LED light (20-30ft throw), about the side of a 2D cell or smaller, that can be seen when there's a little ambient light. I have other incan's for long throw. The LW 4000 really apeals to me because of the LONG run time, but how's the output??? how does it compare to a single LS? Does the Blaster VI provide a good amount of side spill, or is it a pencil type beam? Maybe the super6 is what I want?? Is the output equal to 6 arc ls's?

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast

It depends on your application, some people need a tightly focused light and others like just having a LOT of light in a wide angle

SUPER6 (6x1w->3D) and MEGA6 (6x5w->6D) : wide angle
TRILIGHT (3x1w->3D) and HELIOS (3x5w->6D) : Focused beam

I would suggest that a person wanting the "best of both" should look into the HELIOS, with the lenses on; it gives a very nice tight high power beam; and if you remove the lenses; you get a nice flood

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
MTFD17 said:
Maybe the super6 is what I want?? Is the output equal to 6 arc ls's?

[/ QUOTE ]

The output is that of 6 luxeons, but it is uncolimated. The good thing about the Super6, is that one person can light the way for many, because the light goes everywhere.
You might also check out Inretech's 20 LED adaptor, in white.
It may fit in a 3 C cell Mag, which would make it about ½" longer than a 2 D cell Mag. Inretech can answer that question. I know for sure that the Super6 fits a C cell Mag, as well as the D Cell Mag.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

MTFD, you can always put something like the Helios (which requires 6Ds) in a 2D flashlight and run it off of 6AAs...

Quite small, convenient, and bright for a 2D sized light...

fc4744ea.jpg

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast

The helios is a little over my budget, i was looking for something in the ~$120 range which is why i was considering the super6.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ahh... Okay. Then I'd definately recommend a Trilight. You can put the collimator on, and then get a somewhat focused beam with a wide hotspot. Or you can take the collimators off and then get a wide flood beam.

a "hiking" type LED light with a medium flood beam with a bit of throw... This suggests to me the Trilight's your probably answer... As overflowing of a flood the Super6 is, it's not a good beam throwing light...

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Also, I've been seeing these 16 LED Mag drop-ins on ebay w/free shipping. Fits 3-4 C or D cell Mags. This seller seems to have lots of them. They are $30 ($30 buy it now price/$29.99 auction minimum price) for 16 LEDs as opposed to $50 for the 20 LED drop-in.
16 White LED Retrofit Bulb 4 Your Flashlight
If it's gone when you go to look at it, click: View seller's other items , there are 5 more of them.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm... That module looks interesting... Wondering if Craig's tried them before...

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
shankus said:
Also, I've been seeing these 16 LED Mag drop-ins on ebay w/free shipping. Fits 3-4 C or D cell Mags. This seller seems to have lots of them. They are $30 for 16 LEDs as opposed to $50 for the 20 LED drop-in.
16 White LED Retrofit Bulb 4 Your Flashlight
If it's gone when you go to look at it, click: View seller's other items , there are 5 more of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

16 White LED Retrofit Bulb For Mag-Lite Flashlight

Seek and ye shall find, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Pat

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would take the plunge for one, except I already have an Expedition 1900... Oh well...

EDIT:
Ahh, I see it's already been tested... At only 3200mcds, it's not much. I think I'll stick to the LSs...