Arc LS Problem

spgrk

Newly Enlightened
I have an Arc LSL-S #203 which fell on the floor from about waist height and now has developed two problems. Firstly, the beam has become an uneven flood. Secondly, it won't turn on with a new CR123 but it will turn on with 2AA and with an almost flat CR123. I assume that the beam pattern defect is because the emitter/optic have been knocked out of alignment (although this isn't really obvious looking at them), but what could be causing the odd behaviour with the different batteries? I was going to put the light up for sale on B/S/T but people are going to ask me what's wrong with it.

Rob187

Enlightened
Sorry to hear about an Arc playing up. That is kind of weird. Have you tried different batteries to confirm it isn't some freaky battery thing?

You might consider sending it to Arc for a repair/credit towards new light?

spgrk

Newly Enlightened
I've tried several different batteries with three different bodies. I've just had a closer look at it and it looks like a copper strip under the retaining ring, seems to be out of place:

8ywb5h.jpg

This is odd because the impact on the bezel caused only the tiniest of dents, requiring a magnifying glass to see it. The Arc should have coped with such an accident, you would think. I'm not really in a position to attempt repair myself. Does Arc have a return policy for these even though the "original" Arc is defunct?

hairydogs

Newly Enlightened
I've tried several different batteries with three different bodies. I've just had a closer look at it and it looks like a copper strip under the retaining ring, seems to be out of place:

8ywb5h.jpg

This is odd because the impact on the bezel caused only the tiniest of dents, requiring a magnifying glass to see it. The Arc should have coped with such an accident, you would think. I'm not really in a position to attempt repair myself. Does Arc have a return policy for these even though the "original" Arc is defunct?

I also dropped mine from waist level and hit the floor tail first. Now the switch is working intermittently. Any way I can send it back to Arc for repair? Or that a replacement tail switch is available.

I think the model is LSH-P.

thanks in advance.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spgrk, I think you are right that the LED has shifted and it probably broke the dome. The disc that holds everything looks shifted and the copper wave washer looks moved. Usually, locking compound keeps the wave washer and disc in place. Seeing the washer isn't in itself necessarily bad, but this looks like evidence of movement damage.

The battery problem is harder to figure. The voltage from one fresh CR123 is so close to two AA that I doubt it is a regulator problem (damaged circuit), and more likely a mechanical problem.

I have no idea what the new Arc can do for you, but plenty of modders could almost certainly fix it, even replacing the LED with a Seoul for 2X the brightness. Take a look at my Arc disassembly page and maybe rethink looking for yourself.

PM me for a PDF photoguide to Arc LS disassembly.

Hairydogs, if you have the rubber clickie, those are Kroll switches and are available at many dealers like the Sandwich Shoppe, Lighthound, etc. for about $5. Often just a little cleaning and Deoxit will repair them.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Take it apart and put it back together, following instruction in that link. I think that things just sort of shifted. Maybe retainer ring was a little loose.

Bill

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
If there's anything damaged on the board I can repair it. I have components for it on hand. I can also uprade it for you too if you are interested. I have plenty or Arc mods listed in my archive to give you an idea. Email me if your interested.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although the LS is no longer being made and we have no spare parts, we are offering a store credit of $160 (exluding LS seconds) for units returned. This offer has been ongoing for over 3 years now. I know, the CPF is hard to find anything on. Just send us an email.

peter

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just so everyone knows, I've purchased this used light from spgrk. I have always wanted the Arc LS and now I have one on the way.:party:

I would take you up one the offer Peter if the Arc LS was not a light I have wanted so badly. I am sure by looking around here you know that they are very modable. So either way this light will be resurected in some form or another. :) I just love the old school Arc lights.:thumbsup: