New flashaholic friend helps me pick up a surprising thrower

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
So last night I am doing a little megamart grocery shopping and decide on a whim to visit the light section. I'm pretty certain there is nothing there that I haven't seen before, but you never know. When I get there I spot someone who has the air of knowing what he is looking for. I pipe up with a generic "Anything good?" and before long discover a rampant Flashaholic who occasionally browses here but isn't a member. By the end of the conversation he keeps nodding toward the Rayovac Sportsman extreme 3C telling me that I should pick one up. I try to bow out since finances are kind of tight at the moment, but he actually ends up helping me out and paying for over half the light and batteries for me just to see that I get one. Remember, this person was a total stranger 20 minutes before.

Long story short, I get home and pry this thing out of it's blisterpack, drop in some batteries and head outside. HOLY GRANNIES PUMPKIN PIE! This thing throws like I haven't seen before! I now have quite a decent little light here that will likely be a very long runner with all that juice to back it up. Looks quite well heatsinked and fairly water resistant as well. A hearty "Thanks" goes out to the Supermarket Flashaholic as well. Gotta love people who just want to help enlighten the world.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that was nice of him.

I've seen that light mentioned here before and found a local place that carries it but have yet to pick one up because it uses C cells.

Any guesstimate on the throw distance?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
IIRC there was a long thread around here about the Rayovac 3C light. I remember that it had OK build quality but good output(Cree XR-E LED).

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like mine, I keep it in the car. It's no Dereelight DBS, but it has good through for the money. I put a Cree Q5 in mine and gained some output, probalby had a Cree P4 in it originally.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I've spread the love of this light a little more and shown it to a friend not currently into flashlights. His response was a hurried run to Meijer to pick one up while it was still on sale. He ended up with one that doesn't have quite as tight of a beam as mine does, but nice none the less. There are a couple of other minor differences in the manufacturing but still very nice.

I don't have a terribly good estimate of throw distance for mine since I both a.) don't estimate distance well, and 2.) don't know what you would consider the max distance I could claim. Suffice it to say however that it feels like a lightsaber in my hand and shows up at incredibly surprising distances. Even with a likely resistored only light, I am happy with it. It's definitly a showoff light. If I get adventerous I might try to upgrade the emitter eventually. Wonder what the MC-E would look like in this lens (no reflector)...