Which is Brighter; Malkoff M60 vs BOG "Super Premium" ?

cleetus03

Newly Enlightened
Newbie here! I have searched endlessly on CPF for this answer, but have yet to find a solid clear cut answer for which unit is brighter. I have found conflicting opinions from owners of each drop in. So can this debate be answered once & for all with factual & credible answers not opinions?
P.S. the question is which unit, the Malkoff M60 or BOG "super premium" is overall brighter. That's it, Not which unit is better because __(insert opinion here)_______

ginaz

Enlightened
i believe that the differences lie more in beam profile than they do in overall output. the optic on the malkoff is not optimized for maximum throw and it gives a nice, tapered spill whereas other dropins tend to a bright central spot with a ring or two and that's it.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
To compare a Malkoff M60 with any of the other "standard design" P60LED dropins is not necessarily comparing apples to apples if only because the M60 uses an optic versus a reflector that most others brands use. The beam profile is different. From my experience between them, I find the reflectored P60LED Cree dropins give a more defined hotspot with good spill whereas the M60 gives a good hotspot, but really good spill. You should just go by the flashaholic creed of "buy them all" and buy both a BOG and M60...P60 compatible flashlights a relatively cheap and have much variety, so it shouldn't be too much. I myself have a few M60s and other P60LED dropins and love them all! :thumbsup:

cleetus03

Newly Enlightened
I'll give a example of setting in which the answer can be applied. Lets say your standing on the 50 yd line in a superdome that is pitch black were talking not a speck of light around pure darkness. Which drop in will provide the overall best throw & spill combination?

fireboltr

Enlightened
I'll give a example of setting in which the answer can be applied. Lets say your standing on the 50 yd line in a superdome that is pitch black were talking not a speck of light around pure darkness. Which drop in will provide the overall best throw & spill combination?

Already answered in this thread. Best overall combination beam profile is the Malkoff.........Good throw with a great spill that tapers off nice, reflectored P60 drop ins seem to emphasize the throw/hotspot without a bunch of spill.

Geez its funny how this is going from who's the brightest to who's the most usefull......

Bullet Bob

Enlightened
OK, I have both and can't comment right now as to which one has more spill vs.throw as I did not really compare that but just threw them in and compared output which was the same. Couldn't tell any differance. Got the R2 from Mike at Pacific Tactical Products and that unit is brighter than either of them. If I get a chance to compare the beams on the other two I'll give you a report.

cleetus03

Newly Enlightened
I apologize for this post as I realize it's a matter of opinion defining "brightness". Therefore I have settled for the answer that each unit has a brighter output in differing regards.

I find the BOG consensus is that it throws farther then the M60 and produces a blueish beam.
The M60 on the other hand throws shorter then the BOG but creates a significant wider spill in terms of brightness. The M60 also seems to produce a much warmer beam then the blueish BOG.

If all agree on this notion then my question has been successfully answered. I appreciate the help and was not trying to stir another chaotic "light vs light" bash off thread.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can understand what you were trying to get at cleetus03.

But, as others have said, it comes down to what you like. What I can tell you is that the BOG's that I have (4 of the super premium, and 4 "other" BOG's) sit, unused in my flashlight box (waiting to be sold or given away), while ALL of my Malkoff's (4 M60's, 5 M60L's, and 8 M60LL's) are in lights, and being used.

Take from that what you will.

My .02 FWIW YMMV

Gunner12

Flashaholic
From what I hear, the Malkoff is a great choice for a drop-in because of its optic which provides a good hotspot with a wide spill. The BOG has a bit more throw but if you really want throw, you might want to look at other lights.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I hear, the Malkoff is a great choice for a drop-in because of its optic which provides a good hotspot with a wide spill. The BOG has a bit more throw but if you really want throw, you might want to look at other lights.

Yup, you can't go wrong with the Malkoff M60...it's got arguably the most useful beam of any P60LED dropin on the market.

DimmerD

Enlightened
I think the BOG throws further than the M60 too, the BOG is a little whiter than the warmer M60. (we are comparing optic to reflector so it's apples to oranges) It appears the M60 is a bit more sturdy than the BOG as it is all one piece, the BOG can be adjusted a little by unscrewing the base, the M60 cannot. The M60 is in my wifes 6P, the BOG is in my 9P. Considering the fact that the M60 was free as Gene made an honest mistake sending me that instead of the Mag 3 dropin I can't complain 1 bit. A friend liked the setup so much I bought him a 6P and an M60 for him for Christmas, hope he doesn't visit these boards!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
You really need one of each to appreciate the differences they will show you in personal use. After you make your final choice unload the other on the Marketplace. It'll get snapped up before long.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
LMAO! I doubt that! And I didn't even include my Mag drop-in's, a couple each of the C & D cells.

As far as I'm concerned (IMHO), there is NOTHING better out there right now!

My .02 FWIW YMMV