Prepare for no power? Here are suggestions

FredM

Enlightened
OK so possibly you have a genny but even so if it isn;t big enough to run your whole house circuit you will be needing flashlights for nighttime lighting.

I am really glad I dumped my quality over quantity viewpoint over a year ago. While the L4 and E2DL were awesome, I needed at least 10 lights to make my house easier to live in.

I used one for the shower, one for the vanity, a few for the bedroom for each side of the bed and the door entrance, a few HID spotlights for "im tired and want to find the thing I am looking for NOW!" moments and also a HID for the kitchen.

Basically I didn't carry around a light except when I really needed to. I just positioned the lights where I needed them and then used them like a lightswitch. 40-50 lumens is OK for most stuff. I am also really glad I had most of my lights being tailstanders.

I think the best option for lights like this a LED modded mags with emphasis on runtime. Something like a 3C or 3D single emittor at 200-300 lumens. An hour or two of runtime is fine if you have enough batteries.

Illum

Flashaholic
the L4 isn't really suited for emergencies....your better off with something else that runs at least 2 hours and wont burn your hand causing you to drop it:eek:oo:

FredM

Enlightened
the L4 isn't really suited for emergencies....your better off with something else that runs at least 2 hours and wont burn your hand causing you to drop it:eek:oo:

Right the E2DL got more use than the L4 did. The e2DL will burn your hand if you leave it on to long though. Easily just as hot as the L4. The e2DL also has a low and can tailstand.

HOWEVER, the L4 is good for when you are need a regular hand held flashlight. Most of the time I used stationary lights instead of handheld.

Last edited:

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used my mag 4d led. Check out the runtime graph on the 4d led in this review.http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_mag-led.htm
43.20hours till 50%. I put it in between the sofa cushions and point it at the ceiling. It lit up the whole room with enough light to where I could see everything in the room(20x24 room).I think I bought it for $31 delivered off of amazon.com.

Another emergency light that I use is my coleman 8d lantern with cree led. Puts out alot of light for very little money.http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=4345-701&categoryid=1110

You could buy a couple of each of the above which takes care of your lighting needs for less than $125.

Closet_Flashaholic

Enlightened
Wally-world sells 3-led hockey-puck lights in packages of 6 for $9.99. Even includes 12 AA alky batteries and mounting hardware for all of them.

These lights really aren't all that bright (not enough to read by), but are ok for moving around without a flashlight.

I purchased two packages for 12 lights total and installed one in each room. Bedrooms, Bathrooms, kitchen, living room, etc. I also have eneloops that will go into them once the OEM batteries give out.

If you go this route, just make sure to mount them low enough for children to be able to press.

I find that carrying a light around when just navigating a dark house to be cumbersome. Not to mention that it only leaves one hand free for carrying things. (And yes, before someone says anything, I do have and use a Zebralight headband myself for such occasions )..

Last edited: