Runtime on SF G2 LED

insanefred

Enlightened
Can anyone direct me to a good review of this light? That includes a run time plot.

GPB

Enlightened
if you go to surefire's website you can view their 2008 product manual as a pdf document. In that there is a graph of run time vs output.

pfccypret

Newly Enlightened
Edited:

I have the 6P LED. I believe it uses the same drop in. The battery life is 2-3 hours of maximum brightness, then another 7-8 of much dimmer (but still fairly usable) light.

Last edited:

insanefred

Enlightened
if you go to surefire's website you can view their 2008 product manual as a pdf document. In that there is a graph of run time vs output.
Do you have a link?
I can't seem to find it on their website anywhere.

insanefred

Enlightened
Welcome to the world of shifty advertising.

But is it true? Can anyone else confirm this?
With Surefire so highly regarded, I just have hard time believing it! (I know they have some gems).
But with the G2L in question.

Marduke

Flashaholic
But is it true? Can anyone else confirm this?
With Surefire so highly regarded, I just have hard time believing it! (I know they have some gems).
But with the G2L in question.

Yes, it's true. You can see the runtime graph for the G2 Nitrolon LED and 6P LED in the linked thread.

If you look at their advertising, they don't say "80 lumens for 12 hours" they say "80 lumens" and elsewhere say "12 hours of useful life".

GPB

Enlightened
I think what you may be witnessing is a heat limitation rather than a battery limitation. If you use your light in short bursts or have a G2L with a metal head your results will probably be closer to those for the 6PL in the graph ( the purple line ) That graph is very similar to the graph posted on the Surefire Website.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The newer G2Ls have a metal head to help with the heat(not sure if all G2Ls have this).

It says 12 hours usable, not 12 hours regulated. From what I read, usable for Surefire is defined as 1 lumen minimal.

DanTSX

Newly Enlightened
Last two sets in my G2L have not lasted long at all. First set lasted full brightness a while, but it seems like this last set lasted a 25 minute walk on the beach and that was it. Maybe I have some stinker batteries? All SF brand CR123s:shrug:

I'm about to drop an old P60 incan bulb in my G2L:green:

Time for another Dx drop in or bite the malkoff bullet?

Still my fav light, but getting dissapointed in last two sets.