Australian Dollar at a two year low

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm. The US dollar has gained value. Last week one euro was 1.45 USD, now it's 1.35. I'm happy for the USAnians, but this makes my DX shopping more expensive, grumble grumble.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the low Aussie dollar affects those that are travelling or are staying OS for what ever reason, feel sorry for those.......damn, that includes me!.....:ohgeez:........have to be even more choozy in what I buy.....:(

Last edited:

werdnawee

Newly Enlightened
Yes, as we are mostly flashlight importers (I also import Nintendo Game & Watches, Vintage Star Wars and Transformers toys), this Aussie dollar drop is tough.

It was almost 1 AUD to 1 USD two months ago.

Lets hope it can get back to similar levels soon.

AvPD

Enlightened
Now at a four-year low having dropped briefly below 70c.... the good news is that we're not headed back to the days of 50c as the US economy is headed for recession in the long-term (good luck GWB's successor) so that should slowly bring the rate back up.

I've been succumbing to flashaholism a little now that I've been browsing CPF after waiting for the release of the Cree MC-E.
If I could've predicted the future I would have bought a lot of stuff (P7 torch, Zebralight, Fenix E01 etc.) but I did take advantage of the exchange rate overall, I spent several hundred at DX and KD, and eBay even.

Haz

Enlightened
The spending spree i was having before has now slowed down to a trickle since the rapid slide of the aussie against the greenback. I was waiting for the aussie to reach parity against the greenback, but that never occurred. I was interested in 2 lights, the Ra Clicky and Arc6, but now the prices of them is costing significantly more!

Arc6 is $300
cheapest shipping option $22.50
Paypal exchange rate 0.7026%
= $459

nitesky

Newly Enlightened
I have been wondering what hobbies have been suffering lately. Who has been putting off that light they want?

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been wondering what hobbies have been suffering lately. Who has been putting off that light they want?
I'm eyeing one, but the US/CDN exchange rate is starting to spread (currently at 11%) so I may not buy anything.

EDIT: Due to the current exchange rate, it's actually cheaper to buy the light from the Canadian vendor than from the US vendor (even with discount code).

Last edited:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now at a four-year low having dropped briefly below 70c.... the good news is that we're not headed back to the days of 50c as the US economy is headed for recession in the long-term (good luck GWB's successor) so that should slowly bring the rate back up.
It seems the world is quickly following the "US recession" you have predicted.

The last trade put the AUD at .671 against the USD.

Glen C

Enlightened
Norm you couldn't have imagined it would get lower when you wrote that 2 days ago and it has. I hope that once the rate cut is absorbed we might see a little bounceback, from .97 to .67 in 8 weeks is unbelievable volatility.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Norm you couldn't have imagined it would get lower when you wrote that 2 days ago and it has. I hope that once the rate cut is absorbed we might see a little bounceback, from .97 to .67 in 8 weeks is unbelievable volatility.

ok Glen, do you have stuff still at the old AU prices??.....no point buying anything with US$ for a little while......

Haz

Enlightened

I buy alot of gadgets from Deal Extreme, which quotes in USD, this has been suffering, no more goodies coming in the mail recently.
I will be putting off the lights that i want to get from the US. I'm looking now more closely from Australian online vendors. Most are very competitive now, so the prices are almost par. With the exchange rates heading south, Australian online vendors are looking much more attractive than buying from the US.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Market closed today with the AUD at .666 against the USD, with the AUD dropping nearly 2% in one day.

This isn't good for any of us, the world markets are getting scarier every day and it's only going to get worse.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Met with stockbroker today. He's basically walking in circles and mumbling to himself! The world financial situation is total disarray. Just hunker down and hope for the best.... And hope some politicians wind up in jail.

You Aussies have some relief in sight tho - we'll be there on vacation in December and I'm sure my wife will provide a boost to your economy.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Met with stockbroker today. He's basically walking in circles and mumbling to himself! The world financial situation is total disarray. Just hunker down and hope for the best.... And hope some politicians wind up in jail.

You Aussies have some relief in sight tho - we'll be there on vacation in December and I'm sure my wife will provide a boost to your economy.

Well that sounds great.......just don't bring any of your politicians or money gamblers with you.....they may want to stay.....but then again, they may want to check out our crocodiles, a change on the menu may be welcome :)

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's safe for politicians and other theives to swim with crocs, gators and sharks. Professional courtesy, ya know.