Flashlight cleaning day!

foxtrot29

Enlightened
Ever have these? Break out all the lights, cleaning, re-lube, deoxit, etc?

I tend to do one or two at a time. And I probably do it more often than I should, but I figure more is better than less....

And I'll take this opportunity to proclaim my love of deoxit -- that stuff is pure flashlight gold. Just finished cleaning up a Surefire E2D, with the E0-E2R bulb from lumens factory. Re-lubed all threads and dabbed all contact points with deoxit gold. Runs better than new!

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
you are a brave soul to admit this......so i will take this opportunity to completely agree. haha once a month i take all my flashlights out and clean them all then re-lube and deoxit them. :twothumbs

scottaw

Enlightened
My EDC gets it monthly or so, all the rest get it when I think about it.....guess i'm thinking about it and just gave myself a project for tomorrow.

NotSoBrightBob

Newly Enlightened
Hey Foxtrot,

I'm not a new collector of lights but never done this maintenance you speak of. Do you happen to have any pictures of the process like where you put the Deoxit miracle stuff.

Thanks

Bob

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Had a big clean-up a couple months ago when I got my first Deoxit and Pro-Gold. Bet I spent two hours. Probably time to hit some again.

Geoff

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Well I just lubed all of my Surefires today and most got double O-ringed.

All my G/C/P/Leef bodies have 2 o-rings on each end now. I put all the blame on the thread about them not being waterproof. I knew they weren't waterproof way before that but after that thread I started wondering why I didn't at least try to make them more resistant.
Honestly though none have leaked on me but that's probably because I don't take them underwater. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

riceboy72

Newly Enlightened
I finally did my first cleaning day about a month ago, after I finally got some Nyogel and read up on the proper way to clean and lube lights. I told myself I was only going to do one light, but one turned into two and ... well, you know how that goes.

A little bit of cleaning goes a long, long way!

cl0123

Enlightened
This weekend, maybe? I have not set up any routine yet as I'm still new into the hobby. I can see using a clean cotton towel (or a t-shirt) to wipe clean the threads and then re-apply some silicon grease. Is there anything else that should be done?

Well I just lubed all of my Surefires today and most got double O-ringed.

All my G/C/P/Leef bodies have 2 o-rings on each end now.
Really? Honestly, I did think about doing some sort of dunking tests but not very sure now. Where does one get the extra o-rings? Hopefully, they are not proprietory-sized or anything. Is there anyone on the CPFMarketPlace that carries all the sizes?

With Aloha,

Clarence

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Just last week (Actually over 2 weeks ago, where does the time go!) I happened upon a thread in the Marketplace that had grab bags of different sizes of O-rings.

I got that for maybe 2 bucks and tried them all on and settled on rings that seemed to provide a good fit to the body and still let the sections screw together. You can now certainly tell there is more resistance to twisting the bezel and the tailcap! My water resistance faith in them is improved.
:twothumbs

EDIT: The price was 1.25 and he's all sold out. Crap, I was going to buy 4 more packs!

Last edited:

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
eh, how do you guys clean threads with little room? i have difficulty cleaning the bulb module of E1L... :sigh:

even cotton buds cannot squeeze into the gap where the threads are. i had to lub & relub the thread screw & unscrew several times to "coax" the dirt out... :shakehead

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Old lights get lubed every once and a while "like 4 months" EDC: AAA Minimag and Taskforce: more then once every two weeks. The Minimag stays clean "just remove lint and re-oil" While the task forces's horrible threads:green::barf: are constantly grinding away rough aluminum. I wash them down and use paper towels. I always end up with a tone of black stuff and shinny metallic flakes. However I've used it so much now that the threads once oiled are now incredibly smooth:D. Much better then any other light I've used. Probably because I unscrew the tail cap to recharge the 18650 every other day or more often:ohgeez:, "when ever I run it for more then 15 minuets:naughty::whistle:".