I might be pretty stupid

Rossymeister

Enlightened
Usually You Can Visually Tell The Difference (YMMV), The Output Will Drop Considerably As The Battery(s) Deplete.

When A Light Is Regulated, It Will Stay The Same Brightness Throughout The Life Of The Batteries.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finger lick test, lick your finger and place it between the rear contact and negative terminal. If there's a faint glow it's direct drive if not, regulated.

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
Complete the circut while adding ristance, the human body has much higher resistance to current flow than aluminum does so if the light emits a faint glow its direct drive

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Turn it on and hold it next to an AM radio that's tuned to an empty spot at the low end of the dial. If you hear a buzz or whine, it's regulated. If you hear nothing, it's direct drive.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
What light are you looking at?

The easiest is probably to put your finger across the back of the light with the tailcap unscrewed. The resistance of our body should prevent regulated lights form working but will let the LED/s light up very dimly in a direct drive light.

snipe_lee

Newly Enlightened
What Im wanting to do is run AAA lithiums in a few lights that run on 3AAA
batteries. I have several different dorcy lights as well as coleman cree and brinkmann 3watt. Just cheap lights but I hate to ruin them.

carrot

Flashaholic
Lithiums are the same voltage, or very close at least to the voltage of alkalines. Most LED's/circuits can handle the slightly higher output. (1.5v for AA)

jenskh

Enlightened
Lithiums are the same voltage, or very close at least to the voltage of alkalines. Most LED's/circuits can handle the slightly higher output. (1.5v for AA)