Inova T4 w/rattle (anyone ever disassembled one?)

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
My T4 has a slight rattle that I'm not sure where it's coming from. It's definitely not the battery in the tube, sounds like it's maybe in the head somewhere or possibly the switch. For the life of me I can't figure out how to get inside the head. It looks like there's a seam where head meets the body, but it certainly won't unthread with just elbow grease. Has anyone ever unscrewed their T4 to access inside the optic?

Last edited:

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I finally figured out that the bezel unscrews after a lot of force is applied. So upon removing the o-rings and the lens, it seems the convex optic itself is what's rattling. I can't determine whether this is normal or not, but I went ahead and reassembled the light anyway after cleaning the threads and applying nyogel. Still rattles, we'll see if it ends up failing on me one day.

Novaflash

Newly Enlightened
I have an Inova T5 that does the same thing and it is the optic. I bought the light in 2006 if that means anything. I have not found a fix other than squeezing a small piece of rubber shim in between the optic and the head to stop the rattle. That has stopped the rattle for now.

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's strange. I've never heard of that happening. What year model is it?
Mine is this model. I'm not sure what year it is, I picked it up as a trade from Marketplace. I love it in every way, seems very solid, and I don't think the rattle affects operation at all, just annoying a bit is all. The optic just has play from side to side and is noticeable when shaking the light. If I could figure out a way to remove it, I'd stick an o-ring behind it as a shim, but that dang head is so complex I can't figure how to get it out.

ledaholic

Enlightened
Yes, the head unscrews if you put it in a vise and heat the cr@p out of it. They use some of the best thread locker I have seen. I upgraded mine with a P4 a while back, easy to do once you get the head off.

1 what

Enlightened
Been there done that...If you decide to remove the head from the body be very careful not to damage/scar the body or the head with your tools. I've damaged a T5. Once you get into where the LED is you'll find that you can't easily adjust the lens mounting anyway. It's much easier to stabilize it from the top. I'd consider 3 small drops of adhesive (120 degrees apart)......(ok, if it was me I'd use 2 pack epoxy). Good luck!

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did your lens just pop out, or is there a trick here. I have a T3 and got the bezel off, but can't seem to get the lens out.

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once I unscrewed the bezel and had the lens exposed, I just tapped it a few times with a fingernail and it popped out, followed by the o-ring. The optic seems to be held in though from the underside and is restricted from removal by a ridge inside the head. The only way I can foresee getting access to it is by unscrewing the head from body, I plan on picking up some strapwrenches from Sears tonight.

Chryslerguy

Newly Enlightened
Yes, the head unscrews if you put it in a vise and heat the cr@p out of it. They use some of the best thread locker I have seen. I upgraded mine with a P4 a while back, easy to do once you get the head off.

Well, I see this thread is almost 2 years old...

I've had an Inova T4 for five years as my main light. It seemed insanely bright when I bought it, but no longer impresses me. I was recently thinking of upgrading it but couldn't get the head off. :confused:

How much heat does it take? I already scratched the knurling because it wouldn't budge. Is it worth doing?