Poll: Would you buy a Nitecore PD with a Cree XP-E?

Would you by a Nitecore PD with a Cree XP-E?

• Yes

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking at the Golden Dragon Nitecores, and it occoured to me that the XP-E might be a nice alternative as well. I was wondering: Does anyone else share my opinion?

bluecrow76

Enlightened
It looks like the main difference between the XP-E and the XR-E is the viewing angle. The XP-E viewing angle is 115 degrees as opposed to 90 degrees for the XR-E. The Seoul SSC P4 is 120 degrees, so it looks like we're talking about a Cree with more flood. I'd be game to check one out! :twothumbs

Are any other lights using them yet? :shrug:

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
If I were looking for more spill i would drop a glass of milk, seriously though if you want more spill change reflectors not emiters, This is the first time ive heard of XP-E's and wouldnt trust them untill they have been on the market for a while (in flashlight use)

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
The main difference is that the XP-E has a much smaller package. More like Rebel size. Unfortunately its only rated up to 500ma and not available in the highest BINs.

Marduke

Flashaholic
If I were looking for more spill i would drop a glass of milk, seriously though if you want more spill change reflectors not emiters, This is the first time ive heard of XP-E's and wouldnt trust them untill they have been on the market for a while (in flashlight use)

The type of emitter determines the reflector you need. A XR-E needs a very deep reflector, and is know for "Cree rings". The XP-E doesn't have the metal ring to impinge on the viewing angle, so it should have the same smooth beam pattern of the rebel, and work in much shallower reflectors.

A number of CPF'ers have had them a while for testing. I am hoping to see a revised LOD with a XP-E Q2-5A and textured reflector.

Axion

Enlightened
Cree brightness without the cree ring, is that what I'm reading? Well at least the nice thing with Dereelights is we'll be able to buy upgraded pills. Hopefully nitcore gets on board with that for the EX10/D10.

For the record, that's a yes. If the XP-E has equivalent efficiency with a better beam I would definitely get one.

Last edited:

cerbie

Enlightened
i voted yes, more spill is what i look for in most of my lights, and almost none of my lights spill is enough.:thumbsdow
Try checking https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/204595
This is not a problem with the LED package. A shallow reflector, defocused by design, could give a wide floody spot that didn't throw well, and allow out the whole 70+ degrees of useful light from the XR-E. A TIR lens could do the same thing (and some do). But, with current offerings, taking the reflector out eliminates too much light to make it worthwhile, since the stock reflectors tend to be so deep. I would love an EDC with lust a 40-70 degree cone of light.

With folks willing to pay $400+ for torches with no optics at all, I think it wouldn't be a hard sell for smaller makers (Fenix, Nitecore, etc.). As always, Fraen optic support would get me on board :).

Last edited: