Need help...burned on eBay auction

Kolohe

Newly Enlightened
I need some help guys. I won an auction on eBay three weeks ago. I paypaled the guy but he still hasen't shipped the goods. It's not a large amount I'm out...$26, but it's still my money. I'm going to contact eBay and Paypal tomorrow, but I thought I'd try here first. Any advice? TIA

Kolohe

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
three weeks?
i think you still have time to report fraud. However, the bad thing about auction (esp Ebay) is that the ebay side very seldom do investigation regarding the fraud case. i would say that you practically lose that money. But try it anyway. It won't hurt to report it.

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
File a complaint for non-receipt with PayPal. I've done it twice in the last year and they freeze the seller's account for the amount you paid.

You only have 30 days from the date of your PayPal payment so do it quick.

Marty

Chris T

Newly Enlightened
I can relate. I got burned by a Power Seller. The guy just threw away his good name buy selling totally bogus playing cards that were supposed to be the Iraqi most wanted ones. I paid for 5 decks and got printed images on generic card stock. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

So far I have contacted Ebay and Paypal. I also contacted the university his email account is provided by and informed them of his use of their system for wire fraud. I know Ebay has suspended him and that about 40 other folks are in the same boat based on his feedback.

I also called his home, dorm room, and a number provided by his room mate. (My Verizon free long distance plan is a wonderful thing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

I finally got a "message read" receipt from an email sent to his school address so I followed that up with a promise to file fraud charges with the USPS if he does not respond by Friday. Hopefully common sense will prevail.

Here is a quick tip: Check the seller's email address on Paypal. I don't think they allow Yahoo or Hotmail addresses so you may have more luck there. I did!

Chris

Kolohe

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys for your help. I already have the guy's university e-mail address and his address. Filing a complaint with Paypal right now. If that doesn't work, will try to contact the US postal service regarding mail fraud.

Mahalo
Kolohe

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I had the same problem on a $90 knife. I used PayPal for payment.. Seller never would reply to e-mail. I filed a complaint with Paypal (he was a verified member) and 2 days later an e-mail came apologizing for the three week delay and promising 2 day delivery. Item came and just as described.

zackhugh

Enlightened
I've recently run into a problem on eBay after many, many good transactions. Unfortunately, I was too nice and let the seller slide past the 30-day PayPal deadline (I was aware of the 30-day deadline). The amount is relatively small, about $50, and the seller continues to apologize for delays (3 times already). Yet after five weeks I have no item or refund. I have two questions for anyone who has had this problem:

1. If I dispute this with my credit card company, will I run into a problem with PayPal? I really don't want the hassle if PayPal is going to make a big stink out of this.

2. Is it under the jurisdiction of the Postal Inspectors or the Federal Trade Commission to file a complaint? I didn't actually mail anything or use a postal money order, and the USPS web site is a little unclear.

Even if I don't get my money back I don't want this a$$ to get away with it without some consequences. I just don't understand sellers who auction things that they don't actually have in their possession. I try to be responsible when buying and selling.

Chris T

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
zackhugh said:

1. If I dispute this with my credit card company, will I run into a problem with PayPal? I really don't want the hassle if PayPal is going to make a big stink out of this.

2. Is it under the jurisdiction of the Postal Inspectors or the Federal Trade Commission to file a complaint? I didn't actually mail anything or use a postal money order, and the USPS web site is a little unclear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Steve:

I'm not sure how Paypal will react but Ebay (now the owner of Paypal) recommends this as a course of action. I don't think it can hurt.

Second, The FBI and USPS can investigate both complaints of wire and mail fraud. Both of these laws are consumer friendly but I'm not sure how much time will be sent on a $50.00 claim.

As a last ditch effort you may want to email and /or send a registerd letter to the seller stating that you will file a complaint on X date and that it will most likely cause them more than $50.00 in hassles.

Chris