Fenix LD01 - LOD-Q4 replacement

Marduke

Flashaholic
Just found info on the fabled replacement to the LOD-Q4. 4sevens hinted at this upgrade back in September, and said it would include a higher PWM frequency, but nothing else was really known.

The other important upgrade is to a full Q5 LED. Unfortunately I do not read Chinese well enough to get the nuances of other changes.

Original thread:
http://www.shoudian.com/viewthread.php?tid=63026&page=1

Partially translated:
http://translate.google.com/transla...id=63026&page=1&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=zh-CN&tl=en

racerford

Newly Enlightened
I don't read Chinese, but it appears to 80 lumens on the highest level, 14.8 grams without a battery, 14mmx75mm. 8.5 hrs at 10 lumens, 3.5 at 27 lumens, and 1 hr @ 80 lumens. And as you mention a higher frequency PWM.

All things that I am sure evryone has deduced from the pictures. Perhaps one of our members that can read Chinese, can tell us more.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Great find, too bad they didn't care that everyone wanted a lower low. :sigh:

I guess the only wishes fulfilled with this iteration will be a bit more light (which I think everyone was already pretty much okay with) and no more PWM problem, which will make some happy and others won't care about.

I'm going to pass on it, at least for the time being. Until they can get it right with the lower setting and at least a little knurling. :thumbsdow

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice find, I've been chomping at the bit to update my L0D SE Q2 with more oomph and less PWM. :party:

Hopefully there is a natural version, which looks better over time on a keychain. All the other new Fenix lights are black only :sigh:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice. If they've got an olive/natural version, I'll grab one. Not so sure keen on black.

Illum

Flashaholic
well, by the chinese specs the only thing that changed is

3 modes: medium, low, high instead of 5 modes
Q5 instead of Q4
I'm assuming 6061-T6?

I'm favoring that over sized clip though:grin2:

I'm also hoping that
"[FONT=微軟雅黑]出售價格:¥298元、與原LOD Q4的價格相同。[/FONT]"

goes the same here [Sale price is equivalent to the L0D-Q4]:crackup:

I wonder what cell they use to make the runtime tests, and why isn't there a runtime chart like many of fenix lights preliminary advertising:green:

I don't read Chinese, but it appears to 80 lumens on the highest level, 14.8 grams without a battery, 14mmx75mm. 8.5 hrs at 10 lumens, 3.5 at 27 lumens, and 1 hr @ 80 lumens. And as you mention a higher frequency PWM.

All things that I am sure evryone has deduced from the pictures. Perhaps one of our members that can read Chinese, can tell us more.

translation:
Model Specs:

• uses CREE Q5 LED, Life approx 500000 hours
  • Output intensity: 1st stage 27 lumens (3.5 hours) 2nd stage 10 lumens (8.5 hours) 3rd stage 80 lumens (1 hour)
  • Voltage Capable: 4.2V... uses AAA size (economic alkaline, NiMH, Lithium)
  • Model Specs: 75mm (length) x 14mm (diameter)
  • Shell Material: T6 aircraft aluminum allow
  • Shell Treatment: Mil-Spec type III hard anodizing
  • Model weight: 14.8 grams (not including battery)
  • Water resistance: IPX-8 standard
  • Window: Ultra clear optics grade glass
  • Switch design: twist on/off operation for on/off
  • Can tailstand for ceiling bounce operation

• Difference between LD01 and L0D is the altered stage levels
  • Original Q4 now upgraded to Q5
  • Boost circuit has advanced PWM technology, allowing less flicker on low mode
  • 3 stage operation, fulfilling most application requirements
  • LD01 can use 3.7V 10450 cell, we do not recommend use of saidcell on highest level due to lack of approperiate thermal dissipation area on light
  • There may be safety concerns with heat output.

• Operation
  • tighten to operate, unscrew 1/3 turn then retighten to activate stage. the first retightening returns common output, unscrew then retighten within 1.5seconds it activates the next mode
  • common mode => low mode => high mode => recycle.

• LD01
  • CREE Q5 LED, highest output at 80 Lumens

• <all following specs here see model specs>

I'm sure thats the bulk of the translations, everything else should be relatively self explanatory

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
Looks like a decent tho disappointing upgrade. I has hoping for more knurling as well as a lower low.

Still, if they come in natural/olive I'll pick one up. Black? No thanks. I don't need another beat up black Fenix on my keychain...

:green:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Improved reflector- The picture shows it goes to the edge of the bezel, like the other newly updated Fenixes.

4sevens, if you're listening, will there be a non-black version? :poke: Thanks! :grin2:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Racerford already posted the new specs but I thought I'd go ahead and post them side by side with the old ones for ease of comparison.

Kept thinking the new one looked a little longer, and it is by 3mm.

L0D: 13mmx72mm 13.8gr
LD01: 14mmx75mm 14.8gr

L0D lumens: 25, 9, 75
LD01 lumens: 27, 10, 80

This shows that all they did when they opened up the head was to raise the frequency of the pwm and ignored our requests for a lower setting.

For those who loved this light and just wanted a little more light and higher pwm, I'm happy. For those of us hoping they would have lowered the dimmest setting, oh well... :sick:

Illum

Flashaholic
I think fenix already improved on it.

there were many people requesting:
The removal of strobe and SOS, they did that here.
Why the Q4 not Q5, they changed that here
The allowance in the use of lithium secondary specifically 10440 standard, they got that taken care of
Complaints of low having too distinct flicker...I'm hoping the "new" PWM does compensate for it:ohgeez:

Its a good start, cheers 4sevens

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm interested in the reflector, how does it going all the way to the edges effect it? I was really hoping for them to do something to make it a little less ringy, that's probably my biggest issue with it. I am glad they improved the pwm, 10440 support and got rid of the sos and strobe, they actually seem to have done a decent job of hitting a lot of ppls requests. Of course I like the q5 too although it makes very little difference.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with ITN. I like the improvements. I'm glad there are no more silly blinky modes. I lost my L0D and was going to get another, but now, I think I'll wait for the new version to come available.

jake25

Enlightened
If it accepts 4.2V does that mean theres a buck circuit bringing it back down to 80Lumen or are we goin get our pocket rocket @ 150+ lumen?:poke:

Flic

Enlightened
Still, if they come in natural/olive I'll pick one up. Black? No thanks. I don't need another beat up black Fenix on my keychain...

I agree with you my friend, and EngrPaul. I FAR prefer the natural, olive and silver finishes on my Fenixes, especially for keychain lights.

Fenix has been quoted as saying they had problems with mis-matched anodizing in colours other than black. I thought that was why they started doing anodizing in-house (hence the multi-colour E01s). Well none of the LD and PD series have been offered in anything other than black so far. I really hope they start offering colours again... particularly for the LD01. I doubt I'd buy a black one.

EssLight

Newly Enlightened
So, we have incremental improvements.

But I would prefer a lower low, and low-med-high for mode order, and full 10440 support. Oh well, no reason for me to upgrade at this point.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it appears to meet one of the criteria I've been looking for in a new light.

low, medium, and high settings with no SOS or strobe.

Jedi Knife

Enlightened
Looks like a decent tho disappointing upgrade. I has hoping for more knurling as well as a lower low.

Well said, gunga. I'm sick of this beat up Fenix turd on my keychain too. I can't believe they are going with the same scratch magnet design. Talk about a waste of effort. Wow what a loser of a so-called "upgrade".