Some Advice please, Thanks

tommylouis

Newly Enlightened
I'm in the building science industry teaching HVAC contractors.

I need a light that is small enough to carry full time vs the 2mil CP spot that I currently use.

I am looking for Bright and distance typically less than 300 Feet so I can look around in an attic or crawlspace.

I have been looking at DealExtreme model 16502 Sales offer link removed - Empath

I am hoping to get Bright and some type of life. I travel on the road typically a week at a time and I need to carry a Charger and extra batteries with me.

I also use the light to light up a chemical smoke that I use as well.

Could someone please tell me what is the best light to use for this would be I am hoping that it will be less than $100. for the light.

as well as what is the best charger and Batteries to use.

One last request as a backup light what would be the best 1 - 3 AA battery Flashlight to use as well?

Thanks everyone for your help I'm hoping I get a speedy reply today.

Last edited by a moderator:

optodoofus

Newly Enlightened
Well, you left out a lot of key info. For example, a lot depends on your battery preferences. And how bright is bright? Do you need multiple modes? How much runtime do you need?

My first suggestion would be to invest in a high quality flashlight. If you are looking for reliability, I would steer away from the flashlights at KD and DX. While some models from those sites can be well-built (certain Romisens come to mind), others are not so great and you get what you pay for. You do not want to be in an attic when your flashlight decides to give up the ghost.

Secondly, decide what type of battery you want to use and use that as a starting point. Personally, I stay away from Li-ion batteries and stick with either primaries (which can get expensive) or NiMH rechargeables. I have found Eneloop rechargeable AAs to be an excellent battery choice. They hold charge well and are very robust (plus there is little to no chance of them blowing up on you).

Once you pick a battery type, advise on whether you need a simple on-off, or something with multiple modes. Sometimes bright flashlights can be hard to use for up close work unless they have lower modes. You do not need a 200+ lumen retina scorcher to look under the couch. But if you are using them at a distance, single modes are simple and effective.

If you post the battery type and a little more info on what you need, I am sure many people will send in suggestions on their favorite light. With the limited info you provided, I cannot tell for certain whether my suggestion will really be useful to you. I am partial to Fenix lights, and you can get a lot of info from www.fenix-store.com (they have a CPF discount code; CPF8, I think. If I'm wrong, I am sure someone will correct me.) You could pick up an L2D (or LD20) if you want multiple modes, or the E20 or TK20 if a single mode is all you want. For a backup light, consider a Romisen RC-G2 from www.shiningbeam.com. All these lights run great on Eneloop AAs.

GOod luck.

optodoofus

cheetokhan

Enlightened
300 Feet so I can look around in an attic or crawlspace.

That's one big@ss attic! My attic is only about 30' at the longest point.
If you really wanna go 300', the two lights I own that could do it are the Raidfire Spear and the Lumapower Lumahunter MRV Digital.
There are plenty more choices out there, but that's the two I own that can work well at 300'.

Dadof6

Enlightened
It sounds like a Surefire L2 would be beneficial for you. Nice flood to light up the space, longer time. You might even think of using a 1750 rechargeable in it. You can also probably find such a light in the buy sell trade forum at cfmarketplace.com.

tommylouis

Newly Enlightened
well I wasn't thinking clearly I Think the typical attic is well under 100' and i'm looking to see if there were rodents in the insulation or lack of insulation cavaties into the home etc. so spot would be best over flood

HKJ

Flashaholic
Two different solutions:

A Fenix TK20 and AA NiMH batteries.

A Dereelight CL1H with 3SD (A Fenix TK11 can also be used) and 18650 LiIon batteries.

The TK20 has the advantage of standard batteries, but the other solution gives more light.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
A P60 accepting light(like the Surefire 6P, C2 etc, or some of the Solarforce lights, or the Dereelight CL1H and so on) with a good LED drop-in might work.

If you won't be abusing the light much, the Aurora WF-600 with 18650 batteries(protected) from DX might work better. More spot and narrower beam. Should light thing up really well at 100 ft.

The Fenix TK20 is a pretty good choice for AA powered lights. The TK11 will throw further because of the white LED and the increase in current to the LED.

:welcome:

tommylouis

Newly Enlightened
Well I know a lot more than I did but now I'm a bit confused.

I live in the Atl Area so I can go to see a light directly at Fenix

They told me about a Fenix TK20, PD30 and I saw on their site a Eagle Tac P10A2 & a T10C2 as well as the suggestions I have to my initial question.

My bottom line, most of my use will be in a attic or crawl space of Less thank 100 Feet. actually most of the time 5 Feet - 70 feet. and very limited use lighting up chemical smoke at 1-4 feet.

I would say this use is primarly a spot and not a flood.

typically my need for the distance use is less than 1 hour so I could changes batteries without much problem.

From what I read if I get a AA light I should use Eneloop batteries.

any final advice, I need to buy this week, I initally was going to buy from DealExtreem but I can buy from Fenix or anywhere else I'm advised.

Thanks again for everyones imput.

Tommy

tommylouis

Newly Enlightened
I almost forgot Fenix suggested that I use CR123 Lights too.

If I do that what is the best battery to get?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Depending on the light, you might be able to use RCR123s. If you want to use RCR123s, then look at AW's batteries, also available at Fenix Store/4Sevens.

8% off coupon at Fenix Store/4sevens is "CPF8".

I think the TK20 might be good for your task. The warmer LED will help cut through smoke a bit better.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live in the Atl Area so I can go to see a light directly at Fenix.
Well, there you go. The absolute best way to find the light/s that will suit you is to go directly to the store and get some hands on experience! They have a wonderful reputation here on CPF for superior customer service.

Personally, I like to keep things simple, so I'd recommend something like the Fenix LD20 2xAA light:
https://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_65&products_id=362
It has a well defined hot spot for good throw, but also a very useable side spill, as well as 4 light levels so that you can use the turbo mode for looking at a distance, but quickly and easily change to a lower level for any closeup work you might need to do.

Then get something like this 4xAA Eneloop battery/charger combo:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IV0REA/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Which should leave you just enough of that $100 to get a great little backup light for your keychain:
https://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=435

I'm a big fan of AA and AAA lights because the batteries are inexpensive and readily available if you find yourself in a situation where you need to purchase some quickly.

Good luck and enjoy your visit to the Fenix Store...... I wish I could go with you!

^^Nova^^

Enlightened
The TK20 has a decent spot, sounds like it could be what you are after. It also has Hi ans Med modes with a simple quarter turn of the head. Also AA batteries can be a bonus if you are only after one light.

If you hang around here too long you will end up with 5 or 6 lights for different purposes, with different batteries and still be looking for more.:D

Cheers,
Nova

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TK20 has a decent spot, sounds like it could be what you are after. It also has Hi ans Med modes with a simple quarter turn of the head. Also AA batteries can be a bonus if you are only after one light.

If you hang around here too long you will end up with 5 or 6 lights for different purposes, with different batteries and still be looking for more.:D

Cheers,
Nova

haha, think it would be 5 or 6 lights for the same purpose and i still need/want more