Malkoff M60W: Not a typo, it's the WARM version!!

shomie911

Enlightened
I'm pretty amazed by this. I remarked that I would have preferred a warm version of the M60 to Gene Malkoff and then he made one for me! Gene is one heck of a guy and I strongly recommend you buy one of his drop-ins. The quality is top notch. :thumbsup:

I think this was a one off so I'm not sure if Gene will be making any more, but if enough of you guys email him I'm sure he'd consider making more. (Maybe I shouldn't tell everyone to do that, I kinda like having something special. :laughing:)

Emitter *appears* to be a Q2 5A based on tint but the brightness is identical to the regular M60. :thinking: Color rendition is *very* close to incan. Red stands out *slightly* more with incan, but the rest of the spectrum is pretty much spot on.

The regular M60 is an amazing drop-in as well and I regard the color quality and tint to be better than a lot of the other LED flashlights I've owned. I am, however, addicted to the tint of incandescent flashlights, so the M60W is close to perfection in terms of LED tint and output.

Thus the M60W was born: (Hand-engraved and everything.)

img6159vu2.jpg

Both beamshot pics below on Daylight color balance.

EDIT: Keep in mind that I consider the regular M60 to look quite white, the M60W is just a lot warmer, without being yellow/orange in color.

Here's an underexposed comparison beamshot:

img6164mq6.jpg

Regular exposure (Pretty close to how bright they look in person and tint is exactly how it looks in person.):

img6163ea2.jpg

:twothumbs

Last edited:

shomie911

Enlightened
Color rendition is *very* close to incan. Red stands out *slightly* more with incan, but the rest of the spectrum is pretty much spot on.

Must have missed it when you were reading. :D

It works exceptionally well for an LED outdoors. I am EXTREMELY (notice the emphasis) pleased with this drop-in.

Gene needs to add it to the line-up. In my opinion it makes the already expcetional M60 even better.

Although I'm sure there will still be those that prefer the cooler tint (as everyones opinion and preferences are different.)

Patriot

Flashaholic
It really does look nice! The color representation in your pictures is very good too. It's neat that LED's are able to produce that color temperature now.

Thanks for showing us this. Now I've got something new on my list..:eek:oo:

shomie911

Enlightened
It really does look nice! The color representation in your pictures is very good too. It's neat that LED's are able to produce that color temperature now.

Thanks for showing us this. Now I've got something new on my list..:eek:oo:

The good thing is, while it is warmer than any normal LED I've had (excluding the wierd yellow-green tint of the Olight M20 :green:), that it still looks white in a room lit by sunlight, which means that it's pretty darn close *to* late afternoon sunlight (warmer than mid-day sunlight).

In other words people who are both put off by the blue tint of some LEDs and the yellow tint of incans will be happy with the pleasing warmness of the M60W.

LEDs are definitely catching up with incan. Incan flashlights still have a place in my line-up though, can't really beat the 100 CRI and amazing outdoor throw.

The M60W is the closest an LED has come to an incan for me though and I'm incan-biased. :D

Last edited:

shomie911

Enlightened
Only two replies?!

I thought this was going to cause quite a stir. :candle:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
My lord! He has done it again.I love my new fenix tk-20 for the tint now i know what i gotta get next.

shomie911

Enlightened
My lord! He has done it again.I love my new fenix tk-20 for the tint now i know what i gotta get next.

I've seen the TK20 and it's (EDIT: By "it's" I mean the M60W, just to prevent any confusion) not quite that warm. It's closer to a yellowish-vanilla as opposed to the full-on yellow of the TK20.

That said the light quality is just fantastic. It works great outdoors and indoors since the tint is intermediate between an LED (which works great indoors) and an Incan (which works great outdoors).

Last edited:

LumenMan

Enlightened
That M60W looks schweet ! That warm tint is very nice indeed. Gene is a true genius :thumbsup:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
My budget is tight enough as it is! Now you've done it... I need to do side work!
I'm amazed at the color rendition, but I'll be waiting to see outdoor beamshots.

DonS2346

Newly Enlightened
Oh rats, now I have to buy another one :sigh:

I was getting turned off of the leds just because of the color but now maybe there is hope.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well hell, there goes the rest of my paycheck.

Kinda makes me wonder what other custom jobs he can pull out of his wizard's hat. :naughty:

-Trevor

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks very nice as usual. Kudos to Gene for keeping up to the minute with the market. I have a good guess about what we'll see next. :devil: Hopefully Gene can make it work and get it out soon. (my personal guess no insider info)

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Only two replies?!

I thought this was going to cause quite a stir. :candle:

I is causing somewhat of a "stir". What I like is Gene's willingness to try something different, even if done on a case by case basis. He was willing to try out the M30, and that indeed is an awesome treat, for me and others. I think it is great that he is doing the M30, and now your M60W as a specility item. One benefit is that he can gauge interest that way, and keep up the R&D. R&D is something that he really wants to do.

Bill