Best way to line a C2 + extender for two AA usage?

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all, I hopefully will be having an M30 coming soon and plan to run it in a C2 plus extender in order to use two AAs, so...

Can anyone recommended their preferred way to line the tube so the AAs are a good fit and lined up?

Searched but could not find too many suggestions other than cardboard or hosing - any advice or links to previous threads would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Dude

I'll just send a home-made jobbie with the M30! No problem.
It's just thin notebook cardboard wrapped in Transpore medical tape.

Sure there is probably something cooler out there so bring on the ideas guys!

Last edited:

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
YOU ARE THE MAN :twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs

Thank you sarge.

I'm still floored by the seemingly endless configurations to run the thing!

KowShak

Enlightened
I'm planning on using 15mm copper tube for a similar sort of mod that I've got in the pipeline. I was thinking that if I slit it lengthways I can either open it out slightly to make it stay in the torch or squeeze it a bit so that it acts like a battery magazine. I might add that I haven't tried a piece for fit because the light I've ordered hasn't arrived yet.

The cardboard / tape idea sounds interesting (and cheap) but how do you make sure that it doesn't get stuck and wedge the batteries in?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
He will be using my sleeve in a 2 cell light with an extender so god forbid something gets stuck all he has to do is twist off the extender and reveal 1 CR123's worth of sleeve to hold onto and pull.

I never had to do it that way and I use it in a C3 but like I said, if it did happen, there is a simple way around it.

Be really careful with your highly conductive sleeve! Be wary of what it touches.

I am going to experiment with an ALL Duct Tape sleeve next.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Oh we just don't like that option.
:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

I got what I needed for this at Starbucks.

Seriously. Their brown corrugated cardboard cup sleeves make a nice snug fit for AA's, they roll easily, don't crinkle, and don't slide out when you 'knock' the batteries out. :)

Plus, when your alkalines leak, there is a chance that they might absorb most of the mess so that your C2 might not get trashed.:whistle:

KowShak

Enlightened
Be really careful with your highly conductive sleeve! Be wary of what it touches.

I am going to experiment with an ALL Duct Tape sleeve next.

The driver board I'm planning on using has some of the components on the back of it, so it would be best if a conductive copper tube didn't go touching and shorting it. I decided it either has to stick to the batteries or stick to the body to keep it out of trouble. Maybe it could be painted or perhaps I'll borrow your duct tape idea and insulate it a bit. I like the idea of something stiff like copper tube that can be fitted and forgotton about but can still be removed if needed.

I've used rubber hose for sleeving before although not in a toch. With a diagonal / spiral cut it can be made to expand and cling to what you wrap it around, I don't think I'd be able to find a hose with a thin enough wall for this job though.

Last edited:

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mean to spoil the party, but why not use a 17670?

Call me paranoid, but, I don't think LiIon rechargeables are worth the risk. I stick to Lifep04s for rechargeable options and am happy enough with the output... :rolleyes:

Also, from an emergency/preparedness standpoint, it is great to have the flexibility of AAs.