Canadian Supplier for CREE MR-E

sshannon

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I am trying to find a Canadian supplier for CREE XR-E led's, mounted to a star? Does anyone know of any?

I bought my last bunch through www.luxeoncanada.com but they don't seem to be doing component sales any longer.

I came across a few threads on Canadian flashlight sources, but can't find one on LED sources?

I am concerned about duty/border issues if I order through a US based retailer like ledsupply.com.

Digikey.ca has Cree XR-E emitters and star pcb's sold seperately, but I am a bit worried about trying to solder them together myself.

Any help, or point to an existing thread would be greatly appreciated. I have scoured the net for hours and can't come up with anything. Hoping there is a Canadian CPF'er out there that might know of a source.

Thanks.

Can1

sshannon

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know how much duty you typically pay to bring it into Canada from deal extreme or other US suppliers?

Can1

spencer

Enlightened
I purchased a fairly large order from Kai Domain (included batteries, charger, reflector, P7, lens, and driver) and I wasn't charged anything. I brought in 2 Heatsinks and wasn't charged anything. I brought in some stuff from Battery Junction and I got dinged like 10 bucks or something.

bbgobie

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know how much duty you typically pay to bring it into Canada from deal extreme or other US suppliers?

Can1

I'm gonna introduce you to buying online for Canadians.
1. Check the shipping method. Methods such as UPS ground will get you dinged for brokerage. With a lot of companies express international methods you pay more upfront, but you don't get dinged with brokerage. So your overall cost is likely lower.

2.When shipped by the other countries postal service, ie USPS, or Hong Kong Mail from DX and Kai, its handled by Canada post when it arrives. Canada Post will charge you a $5 handling fee and collect PST/GST from you. (I believe it's waved on orders less than $25 or something like that).

3. Most things you order will not get charged duties. Duties are charged on very specific items. (Knowing what is and isn't is up to you though) However, I've never been charged duties on computers parts, bike parts, and any orders from Kai and DX. The only thing I've ever been dinged on duties was textiles (custom made clothing) and the duty was hefty...

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not paid any duty on the orders I've made to date with DealExtreme.

As bbgobie said, avoid using UPS when getting orders shipped out of the US unless the shipping cost includes the brokerage fees.

Overall, USPS is the best way to ship items from the US to Canada.

Johnnydrz

Newly Enlightened
I have ordered led's, bike parts (derailleurs, shifters...$$$), synthesizer parts, from Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan... So far, I have NEVER had to pay anything extra. And, it takes 1/2 the time compared to when I order from the USA. Usually no more than 5 work days. I'm in the Montreal area.

Johnnydrz