Terralux Oddities

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a Terralux TLE-5EX for a flashaholic initiate from BatteryStation, and noticed a few discrepancies.

First, everywhere I look on the internet it says Terralux drop-ins are made in the USA. I looked at the package, and it very clearly says "made in China".:thinking: A bit misleading to say the least.:green:

Second, I know that LED lights are great with primary lithium AA's, but according to the TerraLux website the 5EX is "NOT for use with lithium batteries".:shrug::sick:

Can anybody give any insight into these issues?

greenLED

Flashaholic
1. "designed in the US with foreign components", maybe? ;)
2. maybe they're referring to li-ion chemistry?

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I totally agree with both of your points!

The Battery Station website said they're made in the USA, so I was a bit disappointed to find out it wasn't. Wouldn't go as far as saying it's false advertising, more likely just a lack of updates on Battery Station. Heck the image shows what looks like a Luxeon LED, but the actual product is a Cree.:whistle:

The vocabulary used for lithium is very easy to confuse, a mere difference of "lithium" and "Li-ion". TerraLux writing "NOT for use with lithium batteries" on their product description, however, is a bit misleading to the average consumer (including myself).

Bad TerraLux!:D

OTOH, it's an excellent drop-in. I received it a few days ago and I love it! Now I have to find an excuse to borrow it from my new flashaholic friend!:laughing:

Last edited: