The Bigbeam 1000 Ultra Mod

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
So technically this light is still not finished yet but is working and on the way to being complete so here it is in this thread so that I don't end up talking about it in another and thread jacking:crazy:.

Ok The light is the Bigbeam 1000 Ultra Mod. The idea was simple, to build the ultimate long term survival / emergency type light.

I had little / no info on this light so I was mostly hopping I could make something out of it. When I got it from UPS in a huge box I found this inside.
808b1yu7.jpg

The light was mostly a dirty wreck of rust and grime from the last 40 plus years of use:sick2:. I opened it up to find that the battery box besides having rust inside also held a 903 battery perfectly with wise with a good amount of room up front and over head. As I examined it most of my fears were not meet and I found it to have good potential. The window was made of solid 4.5mm thick glass and steel wool cleaned it up nicely. The reflector was made of chrome plated steel and it was so tuff that I could shine it up with mild steel wool too! It took about 3 hours to mostly refurbish it. The reflector housed two bulbs: A main 6.4 volt 13 watt bulb and one 7 volt 3.85 watt BA9s bulb located on the upper section of the reflector. My 903 7.5 volt battery tuned on the low bulb but not high "found out later that a faulty switch was at fault which I replaced". I shined up the light nicely and went about tiring to make it a "super light".

It begins:devil:: First off I could perhaps have used a 6 volt SLA battery in it but they are pricy for the Ah I wanted, and then I would just have a "good" light but I wanted more:naughty:. So I went about converting it to 12 volts. I found a 1507 bulb that fit which was 12 volts "and to my luck so happened to be in focus with the reflector:sweat:. This new bulb was rated a much more potent 36.5 watts, 625 lumens, and was rated for 300 hours vs. it's original 75 hour 13 watt bulb. The bulb would be powered by anyone of my many, many 18 Ah SLA batteries. As for as the secondary bulb I bought a crazy back up 1,500 hour rated 4 watt snowmobile running bulb. Though to get the most for run time I opted to go the LED rout. I first bought a single LED but I stumbled across this neat little 6x warm white LED"on a board" 2x front and back and 1x each side. It was rated for 22 lumens at 3300 K. This is the primary low bulb I use.

Power:twothumbs: Now that I had the light engine figured out it was time for power. I was already going to use a 18 Ah SLA which would give me 6 hour run time high and 750 low but I wanted to add something I had never had heard of in a flashlight before…..auxiliary power. I hooked 16 AA batteries up in two 8x cell holders and ran them parallel. I could now hit a internal 3 way switch that would go from main to back up power! This would give my another 250! hours of run time on low. If that isn't over kill enough I have planed "would have done by now but no Radio shack around here has them" an auxiliary, auxiliary power source by having 8x C cells. This would give me a total run time on low "22 lumens" of 1416 hours, now if I use the low LED I will get 1888 hours or 236 nights of 8 hours each. I also have planed putting in a cheap solar panel in the box for the SLA.
I have even added a 6 amp fuse, and a red LED flasher, light on back.

Main and secondary light sources. LED board on top.
myoldcamera19044gz0.jpg

Still plenty of room left for the 8x C cells, even with the 16 AAs up front, an 18 Ah SLA, switches, and even a fuse box.
myoldcamera19048ww6.jpg

Auxiliary switch with fuse on left in box
myoldcamera19047ug0.jpg

6D Maglite VS. The 1000
myoldcamera19052vg3.jpg

As you can see the 1000 produces just as intense hotspot as the Mag except it's much larger and has a huge cornea to:twothumbs.
myoldcamera19053by7.jpg

myoldcamera19040fixedmt9.jpg

So there it sits in all it's glory, all 21.5 pounds of American steel. This light could be the heaviest single contained light I have ever seen:eek:. Every time you go to pick it up it's feels like it's magnetically attached to the surface underneath:huh2:. Though it's incredibly massive size and weight is not much of a problem since it is mainly meant for stationary jobs and at least when your jump starting your car from this light you don't have to worry about the wind blowing it over:crackup:.

Last edited:

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm,

Great, this old vintage looking light you got looks very clean & sharp.

So is this heavy ancient beast 1000lumens?:D

Love how clean the glass looks, like new.:twothumbs

myoldcamera19040fixedmt9.jpg

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm,

Great, this old vintage looking light you got looks very clean & sharp.

So is this heavy ancient beast 1000lumens?:D

Love how clean the glass looks, like new.:twothumbs

Thanks. The model number is 1000 while it should be putting out 625 lumens but for 37.5 watts this seems really underestimated. I would think this light gives off no less then as many lumens as the Surefire M6 except for 6 hours:D. It may be as high as 900+ if it was around the same efficiency of a ROP high bulb, though those bulbs are only rated for 20 hours and this one is 300.

As for as the clean up, the picture makes the red body look a lot nicer in photos, it does have a good number of small rust spots:scowl: "maybe I could get it sanded and repainted, or just get a new 1001 box from Bigbeam if I could:candle:" While the photo does the opposite for the reflector and lens. There is simply no way you can grasp how clean they are in any photo I could post:faint:. The reflector was steelwooled and then cleaned off with eye glass rag. It is about 93% perfect on a very few blemishes in the plating are noticeable during very close inspection. The Lens on the other hand has a small scratch on one side but after cleaning for an hour, and applying Windex it turned into the most beautiful piece of glass work I have ever seen. It is many times clearer then even the sealed glass on a conventional sealed beam bulb! There is no distortion and when you pick it up you can not even see it sitting in your hands:eek:oo:! The chrome "like any good chrome I've found from this time period" even with a good coating of rust easily cleans up to a brand new finish with a little elbow grease. Though like most of the industrial Bigbeam models it is not mirror type chrome but more of a fortified rough mat finished chrome.

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question.. What kind of light did you use as a base? I can't identify it at a glance.

That's ok I wasn't exactly sure which model number it was either when I bough it:thinking:. It's a Bigbeam 1000, as far as it goes, everything else is me guessing from what I know about the company "there is no records that I can find any were on this light, even on flashlight museum.com:candle:" It was probably made during the 60's maybe early 70's and used a 7.5 volt 903 battery stock "can still get them but there really costly $30+, but last forever;)" of course I actually wanted to use this light so I converted it to run on 12 volts and be rechargeable:twothumbs.

600th Post:party:!
and 2.00 Post a Day:thumbsup:!

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could you show a picture of what holds the bulb in? I think mine is missing a part.

I'd have to take it apart to get at the inner workings "don't like dust getting in there:rolleyes:" It might appear like something's missing because of the weird bulb design "it has three holes which line up with the plate to get slotted in to. If the bulb's picture "or one's online don't work:huh2: I pull the light apart.

Here it is "by request" the bulb is a 1025 14.1 watt 6 volt. I assume it should run on 7.5 volt 903 batteries, though they are quite expensive:broke: and I would suggest using a 6volt SLA. I have not yet test one out on it "all mine are dead:ohgeez:" but I would gather it would run fine since most 6 volt bulbs are meant for 6 volt SLA batteries. Now you can do my mod with the 37.5 watt (1507) bulb though you will need to replace the secondary bulb with one rated for 12 volts like the main bulb. Honestly If you don't have a stock pile of 12 volt SLA batteries I would go the 6 volt rout because you could get a SLA with twice the Ah "say 36 or more with the extra room" and that running a 14.1 watt bulb would give you 15 hours of battery Power! Which is dang good for this level of power "around an honest 300+ Lumens "6D Mag only makes 95 lumens for 8 hours"".

Cautionary Note: The bulbs for these things can be real tricky:hairpull:, I'm not sure they were meant for flashlights so their filaments are all over the place:drunk:. The stock 14.1 watt bulb I had needed spacers under it from copper wire, while the 37.5 watt bulb is completely in the wind, you are really going to get a hit or miss with it. Since the filament in my premium 1507 "I knew it was going to be close so I tried to eliminate as many variables as possible:sweat:" was maybe a tad to tall and there is no way to bring the bulb back "only forwards by like 2.5mm" so I probably lucked out. So unless you like taking $10+ shipping risks I'd go with the stock bulb "though it could be the same deal:sigh:". Any other questions, I'd be pleased to answer them:thumbsup:.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
UPDTAE: :caution:HOLY…..muffins:faint:, I kept looking at this light and thinking…..I've seen light's 10 times smaller then this put out about the same power on low with the same run time. Why is mine so relatively low:thinking:?…..I had screwed up on my math all this time and had not had the decimal in the right place:eek:. I have re-corrected my mistake and have updated it's specs, now this light is worthy of it's weight:devil:!