Fenix PD30 or L2D for night cycling?

teremi45

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I am thinking of getting either a Fenix PD30 or a Fenix L2D to use for night cycling.
I know that the L2D is meant to be good for bike use, but is the PD30 as good/better.

On paper, it sounds as if the PD30's extra 40 lumens on turbo mode would be best,
but does anyone know if it is the same beam design as the L2D and will it light the same amount of road? Has anyone got any experience with them?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my P3D the predecessor to the PD30 ad my bike light most of the time. The beam lends itself just fine to being used on the bike. I also have the P2d but the longer runtime and extra light is worth getting the bigger light. I think in this case bigger is better. It works just perfect with the twofish mount on 4sevens site. Enjoy!

nars42

Newly Enlightened
I personally like shorter lights to mount on my handlebars (doesn't get in the way on my road bike and balances better on the twofish lockblocks). I am currently using 2 L1T Q2's and I like the way that is going. I am sure either the PD30 or L2D would work great for cycling (depending on what kind of rechargeable batteries you have; I have some eneloops so I tend to stick to AA lights), just make sure to angle them well so that you don't blind motorists too much. I don't know how much different the beams on the two lights are, supposedly the new beam is supposed to be floodier but I don't have any personal experience.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends. Helmet mounted would be PD30, bar mounted would be L2D. I find the L2D doesn't have enough throw for helmet mounting; the PD30's 40 extra lumens and new, slightly throwier reflector, should cure that. However, you might find the PD30 a bit too spot-ish for bar mounting.

MSI

Enlightened
I used the PD30 for a short while, but it didn't have enough throw for me. Now I have a E2DL on my helmet and is much happier with that.

Marduke

Flashaholic
It really depends on what rechargable battery system you prefer. The small lumen difference will be imperceptible in use. In function, the lights are essentially identical.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are planning on using rechargeables go for the L2D-LD20.
If you are using primaries then go for the PD30.

My choice would be to go for the L2D/LD20 as lithium primaries are more expensive which is a factor if you plan to use it often.

:welcome:

rockz4532

Enlightened
If you are planning on using rechargeables go for the L2D-LD20.
If you are using primaries then go for the PD30.

My choice would be to go for the L2D/LD20 as lithium primaries are more expensive which is a factor if you plan to use it often.

:welcome:

they arnt expensive if you get them online

nars42

Newly Enlightened
For commuting I would definitly use rechargables. I end up using my 2 L1T's for about 4 hours a week, so that's like 8 batteries right there. Never mind the 2 Planet Bike SuperFlash's on the back using 4 AAA's that need to be changed about once every two weeks or so.

I have 8 eneloop AA's and 8 AAA's myself.

LightHearted

Enlightened
Neither. For night cycling an SSC P7 with a single 18650 is the only way to go. I got a couple lights from DX for about $40 ea. They put out well over 300 lumens each and run for over an hour on 1 18650. If I'm going to be out more than an hour I carry spare 8650s and swap them out. You can never have too much light on the bike.