Does the "D" in D10 stand for dangerous?

King_Fisher

Newly Enlightened
After lurking around here for a very long time this is my first post. Reading about the piston drive of the D10 and its interface I finally bought one from 4sevens (a D10 GDP+).

After 4 days of use I really liked it. Small, easy to use and AA.
The fifth day I used the D10 for 4 minutes and it became somewhat warm, so I turned it off and put it back on the shelf.

One minute after that I remembered I had to check one of the cars I'm restoring on the morrow and I'd better put the light in my bag, than to forget it. When I took the D10 in my hands it was extremly hot and I could barely hold it. I used a towel and turned it on. It flickered and then died.

From the heat the light was emiting, it would have probably been able to ignite paper, so I was happy that I stored it on a wodden shelf.

Such incident never ever happened to any of my other flashlights, so I thought I'd post about it. I still like the D10 and perhaps this was just bad luck, but I'd advise anyone not to store it with highly combustible things.

--
josh

King_Fisher

Newly Enlightened
I used an eneloop NiMH 2000mAh. Yes, it got hotter after I switched it off. After the LED was dead i removed the eneloop and did try a normal alkaline (to test if it's still working maybe).
The result was that the head got instantly warm again, as soon as the battery was inside.

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, King Fisher.

It sounds as if your light has a short somewhere and needs to be returned.

IMSabbel

Enlightened
When I took the D10 in my hands it was extremly hot and I could barely hold it. I used a towel and turned it on. It flickered and then died.

From the heat the light was emiting, it would have probably been able to ignite paper, so I was happy that I stored it on a wodden shelf.
--
josh

Oh the humanity. When will people learn to stop dramatizing.
If you could "hardly hold it", than its maybe 50-60C . If it were anywhere near the point of "able to ignite paper", you would have blisters from the lightest touch on it.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF

Sounds like you have a near-dead short somewhere in the light...

It makes sense that on the eneloop, it would get VERY hot as the eneloop could deliver a ton of current into a dead short, the resulting power release would be probably somewhere around 15-20 watts of continuous thermal energy for a few minutes. On an alkaline, it would not achieve such high temps, as the alkaline would not deliver as much juice into that dead short, and would fail sooner trying...

definitely exchange your flashlight. Hopefully your experience is a one time fluke and not an issue that is going to crop up in more of these, as these have become pretty heavily recommended lights here on the forum.

Eric

Kamakazikev24

Enlightened
the same thing happened with my Nitecore Extreme SS. Got VERY hot when the light was off. Be interesting to know what they found now that they have it back. Maybe a short inside.

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow lucky me, I have 2 Extreme, 1 Infinity, 3 D10, and 2 EX 10. All 8 pcs Nitecore in total and I have yet to experience any problems with anyone of them. They all take turn to be my EDC. Sort of like rotating weekly duty per unit.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
thats almost definetly a short, assuming you got it from 4 sevens, youll be in fine hands...not to worry..:)

Crenshaw

vitekboi

Newly Enlightened
Wow lucky me, I have 2 Extreme, 1 Infinity, 3 D10, and 2 EX 10. All 8 pcs Nitecore in total and I have yet to experience any problems with anyone of them. They all take turn to be my EDC. Sort of like rotating weekly duty per unit.

just wondering but, why would you need 3 of the same flashlights?

DM51

Flashaholic
Some things are good in threes.

3x3x3.jpg

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast

So that 10 years down the road, when 1 has broken after a freak accident involving a tiger and a lathe, and you've lost another one, you'll still have (IMHO, of course!) one of the best single AA lights ever made :)

Wade

Newly Enlightened
Ok -

I have a D10 that has started to make a high pitched sound on occasion the light is a bit warm but nothing near hot.

I like the light and carry the thing with me alot and it has been on a few Adventure races so it has been bounced around some.

Should I worry with the high pitch sqeel it makes very now and again?

Using an Energizer Ultimate Lithium Primary -

Changed to Duracell no sound
Changed to an Energizer Rechargeable Nickle Metal H... no sound

Must be the Energizer Ulitmate Lithum playing out.

Thoughts?