Wf 600 Aurora Q5 ,would a MC-E be good in this ??

Isthereanybodyoutthere

Newly Enlightened
Wf 600 Aurora Q5 ,would a MC-E be good in this ??

I have one ,the one that can take one 18650 or two rcr123 ,and have been thinking of modding it
Either with a driver that pushes the LED a bit better and does it (only)from a 18650

Or maybe put a MC-E in it and use a 16 mode board + some extra 7135 mounted inside the head to get 2,8 amp

It would mostly be run lover than 2,8 ,but nice to have the HIGH

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
No it wouldn't. WF-600reflector was designed for Cree XR-E which has different beam pattern than MC-E. You'll get less throw, more floody beam and many artifacts. But if you like it - it's going to be great:D.

Isthereanybodyoutthere

Newly Enlightened
Well ,thats what i thought most would say ,,but that was also told about the mag reflector
But that is working (not perfect)with soul p4 p7 and the MC-E
And i think its dere light that has shown some beam shoots with a reflector that looks like it was made for the Cree XR-E

Has anybody tested the MC-E in such a reflector :shrug:

Isthereanybodyoutthere

Newly Enlightened
http://forum.fotonmag.cz/index.php?showtopic=315

Posts number 8 (last two beamshots, MC-E in the middle) and 14. Super Thrower has the same reflector as WF-600.

So the one to the right is the cree and the left is the P7
Are both driven at the same amps ??
I dont understand the language :thinking: but as far as i can understand the MC-E is driven at 2,4 amp,is that correct ?

Is it your pictures and lights ?

If so .how is the throw of the WF -600 reflector with the MC-E compared to one with a Q5 ??

Link to picture
http://forum.fotonmag.cz/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=1224

Last edited:

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are not my picks.
On the left is stock Aurora AK-P7.
MC-E is driven at 2,4A.
Not my lights but I have Aurora and LED is driven at 2,0-2,2A. And it doesn't throw well.
Throw compared to Q5 is less of course. But nice for quad-chip emitter. Probably better than DBS MC-E.

PS. Picture is too big.

shakeylegs

Enlightened
I put a P7 in one of my WF 600's and although it generates a lot of light, it is not my favorite. I've played with the reflector - can't get super throw and can't get rid of the cloverleaf/doughnut artifact of the 4 die. I much prefer the 4 die emitters in wider, more shallow reflectors like the Ultrafire C2, the chinese reflectors sold for "P7" and "MC-E", and several of the mag reflectors including stock. Less artifacts, a little more focus and throw - but I haven't found one 4 die setup that can throw as far as the stock WF 600 Q5 or the DBS.

pepko

Newly Enlightened
HEY !!!
these are my pictures !!!!

DX Super Thrower with Cree MC-E is the best flashlight I have ever had.

Deep reflector (2") from Super Thrower is the only one which can throw MCE beam to spot angle.

All other small optics and reflectors (ledil boom, polymer, carclo, ...) produce only wide and flood beam ...:mecry:

Isthereanybodyoutthere

Newly Enlightened
HEY !!!
these are my pictures !!!!

DX Super Thrower with Cree MC-E is the best flashlight I have ever had.

Deep reflector (2") from Super Thrower is the only one which can throw MCE beam to spot angle.

All other small optics and reflectors (ledil boom, polymer, carclo, ...) produce only wide and flood beam ...:mecry:

AHH that was nice to hear :)
Have you a beam shot that compares the stock WF-600 Q5 with the WF-600 with the MC-E

How is throw compared to each other

Have you seen this thread
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/212835&page=2

At page 2 i talk about what driver and batteries i should use in my mod

From where should i get the MC-E ( i am in Denmark )
I have a C2 MC-E on the way from DX so i can test it myself ,,when it gets here :whistle:,,but the wait is killing me :hairpull:
pepko do you have saome pictures of you modded flashlight (or a thread ,,sorry :shrug:i cant understand the language from the thread where the photos are from ,English Danish or German would do fine )

pepko

Newly Enlightened
AHH that was nice to hear
Have you a beam shot that compares the stock WF-600 Q5 with the WF-600 with the MC-E

How is throw compared to each other

I dont have WF-600, I have DX Super Thrower Cree P4
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3356

Beamshots are here:
http://forum.fotonmag.cz/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=1217
and here
http://forum.fotonmag.cz/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=1218

on the left Cree R2 with 8dg optics, on right Ultrafire C2 mod with P7 DSVNJ and sekonix Col#1 optics

in middle is stock Super Thrower with Cree P4 on first picture, and modded with Cree MCE on the second picture

Have you seen this thread
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/212835&page=2

At page 2 i talk about what driver and batteries i should use in my mod

Yes, I saw that thread.
I prefer direct drive connection. I am using 2s2p with 2x18650 and with 0.47ohm/2w resistor. And I am using second resistor (1.5ohm) for low mode inside 2-mode switch.

From where should i get the MC-E ( i am in Denmark )
I have a C2 MC-E on the way from DX so i can test it myself ,,when it gets here ,,but the wait is killing me
pepko do you have saome pictures of you modded flashlight (or a thread ,,sorry i cant understand the language from the thread where the photos are from ,English Danish or German would do fine )

I bought Cree MCE M-bin WH at Cutter. I can take other pictures of my modded Super Thrower, what do you want to see ?

Isthereanybodyoutthere

Newly Enlightened
Well ,, my WF-600 Q5 is glued :hairpull: together ,so i can not see the pill
I dont want to take it apart before i have compared the C2 MC-E and the stock WF-600

I want to keep the stock pill and make a new out of copper for the MC-E

So some close up photos of the pill (removed would be really good)
Just so i have a idea of how much room there is for the driver

I just got a brain fart :twothumbs does the head from the super thrower fit the body of the C2 ??
That would be a very easy mod when the C2 MC-E gets here
Take of the C2 head (leave the pill in the body),,remove the head from my WF-600
Screw the WF-600 head on the C2 MC-E body ,,ta dah a MC-E light with a WF-600/super thrower reflector am i dreaming ,,or could this be real ??

KowShak

Enlightened
I just got a brain fart :twothumbs does the head from the super thrower fit the body of the C2 ??
That would be a very easy mod when the C2 MC-E gets here
Take of the C2 head (leave the pill in the body),,remove the head from my WF-600
Screw the WF-600 head on the C2 MC-E body ,,ta dah a MC-E light with a WF-600/super thrower reflector am i dreaming ,,or could this be real ??

I've seen an MC-E C2, the pill screws into the head on it, not into the body!

Is the WF-600 the same? If they were the same you could just transplant the pill. If it is different you're not going to get very far very fast.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a question about it to 'pepko'. I'm thinking about bilding it myself but I'm wondering how beam looks like on longer distances. Short range wall shots look promising but how is it outdoors? Is there any donut hole or something? Can you do some beamshots? Thanks!

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's ok. Can you just tell me was there any donut hole/artifacts at longer distances or it was nice, smooth beam?

pepko

Newly Enlightened
I think that beam was good, without artifacts.

But this photo was taken with very short time (1/2000) and there are some artifacts.

Super Thrower Cree MCE on the left, Aurora AK-P7 on the right

p1090925zl9.jpg

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
At 10cm to the wall that's obvious. But I'm thinking about slightly longer distances, 5m and more.

Isthereanybodyoutthere

Newly Enlightened
HMM i got my C2
not very impressed
Its not much brighter than my R2 dropin and less throw
The hot spot is a little bit bigger but not much but the power consumption is almost x3 so something is wrong :shrug:

It pulls 1,88amp from a 4 volt 18650

But the volt measured over the led is only 2,93 volt :candle:
That isnt much
could this be a bad driver
There is a small driver with a coil in there + a two stage tail clicky

I think i have to open a ticket at DX
My brother has the MTE SSC P7 900-Lumen 5-Mode Super LED Flashlight
SKU 12060

it puts out more light and only pulls 1,65 amp

That was the bad news

The god news is that the reflector from the WF 600 makes a fine beam

and to answer phantom23`s Q ,i just went out and did a test at 35 meters and 70 meters

The answer is ,,,,,,,,,,, the beam is like that from a R2 dropin

Sorry no beam shoots ,,but i did aim the light at a white facade of a house ,,so it was a BIG white wall beamshoot
I did hold the reflector lose with my hand ,but you can get it to the point to where there is no donut hole/artifacts at longer distances

Remember my C2 is nor running well 2,93 volt at the led must be something like if this is true
If (A) Vf (V)
0.005 2,44
0.02 2.66
0.05 2.77
0.1 2.87
0.2 3.04
0.35 3.13
0.6 3.32
0.7 3.35
0.8 3.41

0,15amp to each die =0,6amp ,and that would actually might be true
the R2 is run at a bit higher amp ,but one chip at 0,7 is Less efficient than 4 chips at 0,6

depending on what DX will do about my C2, i might try the led at 2,4 amp using a resistor and DD

Isthereanybodyoutthere

Newly Enlightened
A question to pepko:thumbsup:
You have been playing with the p7 + the reflector from the Aurora (the one you can buy at DX SKU 12229 )
and the collimator
And the MC-E+ the reflector from the WF-600 /superthrower

Which one is best for throw :sssh:

have you compared the beam from the MC-E+ the reflector from the WF-600 /superthrower

To a beam from the MC-E + the reflector from the Aurora (the one you can buy at DX SKU 12229 ) ??

I know Stefan has made a Maglight with both the MC-e and the P7
In the SKU 12229 reflector , and in that reflector he says the P7 wins