What Driver for MC-E?

waTom

Newly Enlightened
I thought about using a 7882 driver from one of our two "suppliers" :)

Has anyone experiences in combining the two, a mc-e and a 7882 driver?

TexLite

Enlightened
Yes you can.As long as you mean straight parallel,it won't work for 2S2P or Serial.You could also stack 2 GD or 2 Nexgen wired in parallel if you have the height available.

The linear regulators based on the AMC7135 are 17mm and would work off of one Li-Ion.One is available with 1400mA output current,350mA to each die in parallel.The linear regulator won't have the constant current regulation of the drivers from the Shoppe however.

-Michael

Doc Savage

Newly Enlightened
Doc Savage has placed his base of operations in th
If anybody can answer this for me it would probably help me figure this out myself. so each die can take 700mA max then if the MC-E is mount on a parallel PCB should the max going into the PCB be no greater than 700mA?

And if the MC-E is mounted on a serial PCB would the max to the PCB be 2.8A (4 x 700mA = 2.8A)

And in the 2P/2S configuration max to PCB connections would be 1.4A

Is this correct? Or do I have it backwards?

TexLite

Enlightened
So there isn't a way to drive all four die to 700mA with a single driver? I am looking to get max brightness and not worried about runtime.
And am I correct in assuming that this is the max you can put into each die?

Yes,700mA per die is the max recommended input current.

The new Blue Shark might drive all for die @700mA from a large Li-Ion,on paper at least.But its too big to fit your requirements.It would pull about 4A out of the cell at 3V,which is the maximum safe input current for the driver.The advantage would be constant current output.

If you don't need multi-modes,just max out,then it might be possible to build a 7135 style driver sandwich or hybrid.The 1400mA version has four chips,if your handy with a soldering iron you could add an additional four chips on top of the existing,it would put them in parallel for 2.8A output.It would be shorter than a true sandwich style and retain the 17mm diameter requirement.This would be semi-regulated,because of the characteristics of the linear chips.My guess is though it wouldn't output the full 2.8A,but it might be reasonable.

I don't have any idea whether that DX board would work or not,there aren't enough specs to know and there are different models being shipped.

-Michael

Last edited:

TexLite

Enlightened
If anybody can answer this for me it would probably help me figure this out myself. so each die can take 700mA max then if the MC-E is mount on a Serial PCB should the max going into the PCB be no greater than 700mA?

And if the MC-E is mounted on a serial PCB would the max to the PCB be 2.8A (4 x 700mA = 2.8A)

Is this correct? Or do I have it backwards?

I typed the other reply before I saw this one.

Yes,with the one correction you have it correctly.

-Michael

Doc Savage

Newly Enlightened
Doc Savage has placed his base of operations in th
I typed the other reply before I saw this one.

Yes,with the one correction you have it correctly.

-Michael

so than And if the MC-E is mounted on a Parallel PCB would the max to the PCB be 2.8A (4 x 700mA = 2.8A)

Sorry if this are really basic questions, but I really do appreciate all your help

TexLite

Enlightened
so than And if the MC-E is mounted on a Parallel PCB would the max to the PCB be 2.8A (4 x 700mA = 2.8A)

Sorry if this are really basic questions, but I really do appreciate all your help

Yes,all correct.

I think your only option might be the linear regulator,because the size requirements,the Shark unfortunately is too big.

That or direct drive in parallel if you have some way to measure the current.

Your welcome,glad to be able to help.

-Michael