Surefire G2 (L) - slightly disappointed

p1fiend

Newly Enlightened
Over the past couple of months I have been eyeing the Surefire G2 as a car light and a good excuse for buying a Malkoff drop-in.

Well I recently gave in to the GanderMt. sale on the Camo Surefire G2s and picked one up.

I guess the Surefire reputation on build quality and design got me a little more excited for this light than I really should have been. I'm not trying to bash Surefire: I've handled my cousin's 6PL and was really impressed at the heft and build quality.

The light itself feels alright. I'm sure a pure nitrolon body will feel better than the Camo coating. The real disappointment comes at the front and rear though.

At the front - I have never seen a bulb so off center as the one in the P60 lamb assembly. Good thing I intend to replace it, but it just looks horrible viewed thru the lens.

At the back end, the G2 (I assume the G2L is the same) tailcap and tail area is horrible.
- The momentary function of the tailcap is very difficult to operate. I really have to exert quite a bit of pressure to get the light to turn on. If I release even slightly, the light dims. Worse of all, there is a delay between pressing the button and gettting light.
- The tailcap has a horrible wobble on the body, even when snugged tight. When loose for momentary it is even worse and when locked out, it feels like it will back off and fall off by itself.
- The above wobble was fixed almost completely by adding a second o-ring to body. This makes me wonder why Surefire in the first place decided to not install two o-rings to make this area more solid and secure. A simple O-ring that costs pennies makes the light go from feeling like junk to instilling confidence in use.

One final complaint - The original installed O-ring on the tailcap region of the body was half coated with the Camo coating. Seems they install the o-ring, then spray the Camo coating :confused:.

Again, I'm not trying to bash the light or Surefire. I realize this is the cheapest light they offer and it was a steal for $25, but it seems like a few cheap improvements will really make this light shine.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
The second o-ring really helps, and a M60WL will help it alot more!

I wonder about the camo o-ring, did SF do the camo job or did Gander Mt? Sucks either way. Probably SF did it.

Chadder

Enlightened
I love my G2L. I have been using it more often than my E2DL or E1b. I personally think there is a big difference between the G2 and G2L. I love the look and feel of the type II head on the G2L. To me it makes the light feel a lot more sturdy. Just my opinion though:D

The Alliance

Newly Enlightened
Over the past couple of months I have been eyeing the Surefire G2 as a car light and a good excuse for buying a Malkoff drop-in.

Well I recently gave in to the GanderMt. sale on the Camo Surefire G2s and picked one up.

I guess the Surefire reputation on build quality and design got me a little more excited for this light than I really should have been. I'm not trying to bash Surefire: I've handled my cousin's 6PL and was really impressed at the heft and build quality.

The light itself feels alright. I'm sure a pure nitrolon body will feel better than the Camo coating. The real disappointment comes at the front and rear though.

At the front - I have never seen a bulb so off center as the one in the P60 lamb assembly. Good thing I intend to replace it, but it just looks horrible viewed thru the lens.

At the back end, the G2 (I assume the G2L is the same) tailcap and tail area is horrible.
- The momentary function of the tailcap is very difficult to operate. I really have to exert quite a bit of pressure to get the light to turn on. If I release even slightly, the light dims. Worse of all, there is a delay between pressing the button and gettting light.
- The tailcap has a horrible wobble on the body, even when snugged tight. When loose for momentary it is even worse and when locked out, it feels like it will back off and fall off by itself.
- The above wobble was fixed almost completely by adding a second o-ring to body. This makes me wonder why Surefire in the first place decided to not install two o-rings to make this area more solid and secure. A simple O-ring that costs pennies makes the light go from feeling like junk to instilling confidence in use.

One final complaint - The original installed O-ring on the tailcap region of the body was half coated with the Camo coating. Seems they install the o-ring, then spray the Camo coating :confused:.

Again, I'm not trying to bash the light or Surefire. I realize this is the cheapest light they offer and it was a steal for $25, but it seems like a few cheap improvements will really make this light shine.
Isn't the G2L is the G2 LED? Just confused about the thread title.

I was thinking about getting the G2 (Nitrolon) to add to my Dorcy 1.5 Million CP and 3D Mag.

I doubt I'd be isappointed with the G2.

brucec

Enlightened
I love my G2L. I have been using it more often than my E2DL or E1b. I personally think there is a big difference between the G2 and G2L. I love the look and feel of the type II head on the G2L. To me it makes the light feel a lot more sturdy. Just my opinion though:D

I also have the G2L and I agree, it is much better than the G2, partly due to the aluminum head. It is very light weight and unlike the 6P, doesn't scratch up everything it is next to. In fact, I put the original P60L module back in because the Malkoff made it too front heavy. I don't think there are really any other high output LED plastic bodied lights out there that can compete with the G2L. Most, if not all other, 2xCR123 lights are metal bodied for heat sinking, but plastic bodied lights are still nice to hold during winter or in your pocket.

Newly Enlightened
My G2L is tight at the tail and centered and all that good stuff.For what thats worth.

Monkiee

Newly Enlightened
the camo g2s are older models so they dont have the lock out feature so it will seem like it is falling off.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
the camo g2s are older models so they dont have the lock out feature so it will seem like it is falling off.

The camo G2s do have the lock-out tailcap.I haven't had any problems with my G2s.The switch operation works fine and while there is a little "play" in the tailcap it isn't that pronounced on mine and doesn't exist with the tailcap completely tight.The switch should not be difficult to operate but will require constant pressure unless you twist the tailcap tight.It sounds like you may have received a bad light.Other than a slight amount of the camo paint on the o-ring none of my G2s have any of the same issues.I am not familiar with GMs return/exchange policy but it's probably worth looking into in your case.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Is the beam from the P60 incandescent Lamp Assembly high quality?
SureFire focuses the bulb's filament to the best point rather than the bulb's envelop. The filament may not be perfectly centred inside the envelop so that when it's positioned for best focus the envelop is canted. Nothing wrong with that. If SureFire didn't take the care to get the focus right the beam would be poor quality and this would be a real performance problem.

p1fiend

Newly Enlightened
Is the beam from the P60 incandescent Lamp Assembly high quality?
SureFire focuses the bulb's filament to the best point rather than the bulb's envelop. The filament may not be perfectly centred inside the envelop so that when it's positioned for best focus the envelop is canted. Nothing wrong with that. If SureFire didn't take the care to get the focus right the beam would be poor quality and this would be a real performance problem.

Hmm, didn't look into it that much. I'll take a look and reply in that regard when I have a chance. All I noticed after a little use is that the beam at least is nice and smooth, with no artifacts.

In regards to the title, I added the (L), to attract G2L users, since everything except the head should be the same, and I figured my experience might not be exclusive to the G2.

My G2 does lock out - I snugged the tailcap down then made a mark on the tube and tailcap. A 3/4 turn will lock out the momentary function.

Since the light will be an emergency car light, I'm not really going to be using it much so I'm not too concerned about the difficult momentary function, it's just slightly annoying.

Can't wait to drop in a Malkoff, just need to wait for my next CC billing period, as Christmas has already taken a toll on my wallet!

cfromc

Enlightened
I bought over a dozen G2-HDs recently and none have the problems mentioned. The o-ring has no camo, the bulbs are centered, and the tailcap action is fine. I'm keeping a couple and giving some to hunting/fishing friends. I actually like them a lot and think $25 is a fantastic deal. It kinda sounds like that one was a "end-of-shift-Friday" light.

One thing I noticed with the G2-HD is that the bezel screws right on instead of having to push it on, then turn, like most SureFire lights.

p1fiend

Newly Enlightened
One thing I noticed with the G2-HD is that the bezel screws right on instead of having to push it on, then turn, like most SureFire lights.

What is "HD"? The G2 I have you definately have to push the bezel on then screw it down tight, the opposite with removal - you have to unscrew it, then pull it off. I was a little confused at first after unscrewing and unscrewing it when it didn't come off.

cfromc

Enlightened
What is "HD"? The G2 I have you definately have to push the bezel on then screw it down tight, the opposite with removal - you have to unscrew it, then pull it off. I was a little confused at first after unscrewing and unscrewing it when it didn't come off.

I just push the bezel on slightly, then turn and it goes right on. On most SureFires, I have to push more to make sure the threads catch each other, then turn. Usually when taking the bezel off I must pull it off after unscrewing it all the way. With the few G2-HDs I've checked the bezel is easier to take on and off than other SureFires. It almost seems like we have slightly different designs.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Normally, how far down you twist the tailcap on determines how hard you have to press the button.

My G2 operates like a champ. I really couldn't ask for anything more out of that light.