NextStar flashlight by Brinkmann w/photos

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just thought I'd post some info about this 2AA flashlight from Brinkmann since I haven't seen the info anywhere else. It uses Brinkmann's NextStar Xenon bi-pin bulb and has a tailcap switch. The light itself is about half an inch longer than a 2AA mag and the body is about 75% thicker/wider than a 2AA mag.

It has a tighter beam than maglites normally and even has a tighter beam than a maglite using the same NextStar bulb.

BrinkmannNextstar-001s.jpg

[Click here for larger photo]

BrinkmannNextstar-002s.jpg

BrinkmannNextstar-003s.jpg

BrinkmannNextstar-004s.jpg

BrinkmannNextstar-005s.jpg

I beleive it will make a good base for 1, 2 or 3 5mm LED's. Currently, I have one bright blue Nichia LED in one of mine and will be adding more soon. Verrrryyy bright
grin.gif

BrinkmannNextstar-006s.jpg

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
ChrisM...I bought this light at WalMart about 2 months ago, and I like it. I put lithium batteries in mine, and it blows away any other 2AA flashlight I have. On it's tightest focus, the throw puts most other 2AA flashlights to shame, and it feels very solid in your hand. When I got mine, it was marked for $13.99...when I got up to the register, it rang up for $3.97!!! I wanted to go back and pick up a couple more, but at the time I was on my way to work and running a little late, so I didn't really have the time. On my way home from work, I stopped off to pick up a couple more, but they were all gone
frown.gif
and WalMart here in Pensacola hasn't gotten them back since. You don't hear too much about this light, but IMO it IS a good light for the price, and I'd recommend it to anyone
wink.gif

PJD

...there is nothing in the world more frustrating than a lousy beam...

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, does anyone else have this flashlight?
Do you like it? Dislike it? I hope I didn't take the picts and post the info for nothing
frown.gif

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
PJD...Thanks.
I've seen them at my local Wal-Mart for $5. Those are all gone as well.
frown.gif

I have discovered the tail cap fits on a 2AA mini mag although it is a bit wider than the mini mag's body. Still looks ok to me though.

redbird

Enlightened
I too have one. Actually I have two. The first was an older version that never worked propertly. Last year at the National Hardware Show in Chicago I came across the Brinkman display and in discussing my problem with them, they sent me home with the new and improved model. It works great but I must confess it sees very little use.

Like many here I set it aside for my current EDC of the E2

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since they have the tailcap switch, I find them easier to use than the minimags. Now, if I could just find a belt pouch/case to fit the fatter body...

Mine also seem to be a tighter beam than the minimag. I do like those NextStar bulbs though.
smile.gif

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can tell ya one thing for sure - the shape of that thing looks almost *exactly* like the 5W luxeon flashlight I played with a while back, just smaller. The detail is almost identical, right down to the grip and the way it tapers like a cigar.

(The 5W luxeon flashlight was a demo unit used to show off the LED by our local Lumileds guy and used 3xCR123s, not AAs. I wonder if the same contractor/manufacturer/designer did these Brinkmanns...)

moraino

Enlightened
ChrisM,

Your post got me interested the 5W LS mod. I've seen the fatboy many years ago in Target, the one in Bellis Fair in Bellingham.

It's hard to find them now. Have you try to sqeeze 123 in it. Could you post the pictures of what's inside of the fat belly if you have any means of doing so? Thanks for post.

Henry

Sonic

Newly Enlightened
ChrisM,
I am also planning to buy this light,but I'm going to see if I can get a circuit and LS in that thing.

Hotfoot,
this light also comes in a 2C size,that might be the light you saw mod'd with the 5w LS.I also plan on getting this one to mod.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of these lights in 2AA and I like it. A quick tear-down revealed a head with a wide but unfortunately - shallow cavity. I have not removed the plastic bulb socket to see if that would free up more space. I may just leave this light alone.

Lantern Jack O.

Enlightened
I have the 2C version of this. The head twists to switch. It's a nice, heavy light. With all that aluminum, it might make a nice 5W LS someday with the right pill.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have any ideas on modding this to take 2-4 LED's? The circuit is completed by the spring inside the head of the light that presses against the small end of the reflector (making it almost impossible to enlarge the hole much past 8mm) and the base of the light. So, if the reflector is removed, there's nothing for the spring to press against to complete the circuit. Maybe a larger diameter spring (checked one local hardware store, no luck) and will check another one as soon as I can.

Any ideas?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please don't stone me guys for saying this, but maybe. . . . . .just maybe . . .this is one of those flashlights to leave stock. *runs for cover*...........