SF E2DL - LED Upgradeable?

_R__Y__A__N_

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone. I've been thinking about getting a Surefire E2D LED, but I was wondering how quickly the output of the LED will get "outdated" (that's not say that 120 lumens would ever useless)... And that got me wondering, is the LED in a E2DL upgradable in any fairly easy fashion? I've never owned any Surefires besides a G2L, so I don't really know how the lamp assembly of the E2DL is made. Apparently it's not just a drop-in like a G2L... So could there be any way to upgrade the LED? Apart from major, major surgery?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. Just wondering. Thanks! :whistle:

1996alnl

Enlightened
No upgrade needed.
If you like your G2L you'll absolutely love the E2DL. This light can compete with 200+lumen lights NO PROBLEM.(don't believe that 120 lumen BS)
Where the G2L is a floody beam this sucker can throw a beam with authority and have some useful sidespill too.
The head has no reflecter,it uses an optic Surefire calls TIR (total internal reflection) a very efficient way of transmitting light.
I would recommend this light to anyone.

ja10

Enlightened
Eventually, the E2DL will be outdated. Like you said though, it won't stop being useful. I just got one, and I love that light!

An upgrade to the E2DL would be major surgery. I upgraded the emitter in my L1, and it took some work. It wasn't impossible, but it took some elbow grease (and a few scratches in the light).

If you want an upgrade path, I would recommend getting a 6P, or other light that takes the P60L LED assembly. Malkoff and others make upgrades for this already, and it looks like that format is around to stay for a while. Also, you can get many different versions, including low output, high output, warmer color renditions, and others.

1996alnl

Enlightened
I upgraded the emitter in my L1, and it took some work. It wasn't impossible, but it took some elbow grease

Wow,i'm impressed.
The L1 is one of my most used EDC lights.I just love this thing on a RCR123. What kind of emitter did you use?

ja10

Enlightened
Wow,i'm impressed.
The L1 is one of my most used EDC lights.I just love this thing on a RCR123. What kind of emitter did you use?

I used a Seoul P4 U-bin if I remember right, and I replaced the optic with a McGizmo reflector (I did this a year and a half ago, before the new L1 came out). I took the electrics out of the body and put a DownBoy 1000 ma converter in the head. Since I have the previous generation L1, I was able to just squeeze a 17670 in the body after an hour with the dremel. It will run on two primaries, two RCRs, or one 17670.

... so, it's not really even an L1 anymore, but it's the perfect light for me!

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could always get a 6P DL instead...immediate upgradeability through the same drop in modules as the G2

For same output as E2DL, though, would need to swap out the P60L for an upgrade immediately.

_R__Y__A__N_

Newly Enlightened
Well, I was thinking about getting the 6PDL, since it would be more easily upgradeable than the E2DL, but I had two gripes about that: the 6PDL is only Type II anodized, whereas the E2DL is Type III hard anodized, and the only way to upgrade the 6PD right now would be to get a non-Surefire drop-in. It kind of annoys me to get a non-Surefire drop-in when I paid so much more money to have the Surefire reliability "guarantee" (I'd rather have reliability over brightness, although of course I'd prefer to have both). I did hear about the new P61L coming out, but apparently it's not going to be available for a while... not to mention it doesn't have two brightness levels like the E2DL. Although, isn't it going to be 200 lumens instead of 120?

And about that TIR (total internal reflection) used in the E2DL - isn't that supposed to be better than a reflector? Or does it have disadvantages?

Hmm. Maybe I better just get an E2DL. After all, that will give me a good excuse to buy another light later, instead of just a new lamp, right? :D Man, this is starting to become a very expensive interest... :duh2: :(

ja10

Enlightened
And about that TIR (total internal reflection) used in the E2DL - isn't that supposed to be better than a reflector? Or does it have disadvantages?

Hmm. Maybe I better just get an E2DL. After all, that will give me a good excuse to buy another light later, instead of just a new lamp, right? :D Man, this is starting to become a very expensive interest... :duh2: :(

Neither TIR nor reflectors are necessarily "better". In general, a reflector will give you a better beam time after time (from SF anyway). TIRs are a bit funny, and if they are just a touch off you can see splotchiness, rings, off-centered hotspots, and other anomalies. Actually, even if they are perfectly lined up there are often issues. Where the TIR really can excel though is THROW. This is the point of the E2DL, and to get that much throw with a reflector would mean a much larger head.

I have an E2DL, and on a white wall the beam doesn't look nearly as pretty as my U2. The hotspot is a bit off, and the spill isn't very smooth at all. However, when you take it outside, the imperfections disappear and all your left with is a great thrower.

The 6P/G2 is a great upgrade path, but you won't be able to upgrade immediately with SF parts. The reason why I suggested it is because in 2-3 years, when you're sick of the output, you can go to your local SF dealer and pick up the latest drop in and be up to date in terms of performance. However, while I don't own one, I have a feeling that a lot of people on this board would put their Malkoff head-to-head with any SF drop-in in terms of performance and reliability. He also lets you choose output and beam profile, and from what I understand they are quite beautiful.

I love my E2DL though. It is more easily pocketed, which is why I went with it!

1996alnl

Enlightened
I used a Seoul P4 U-bin if I remember right, and I replaced the optic with a McGizmo reflector (I did this a year and a half ago, before the new L1 came out). I took the electrics out of the body and put a DownBoy 1000 ma converter in the head. Since I have the previous generation L1, I was able to just squeeze a 17670 in the body after an hour with the dremel. It will run on two primaries, two RCRs, or one 17670.

... so, it's not really even an L1 anymore, but it's the perfect light for me!

:twothumbsImpressive!