Illinois Governor Arrested for trying to sell Obama's senate seat

meuge

Enlightened
No, this is not a joke.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28139155/?GT1=43001

MSNBC said:
CHICAGO - Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich embarked on "political corruption crime spree" and tried to benefit from his ability to appoint President-elect Barack Obama's replacement in the U.S. Senate, federal officials said Tuesday.

At a news conference in Chicago on Tuesday, U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald called it a sad day for the citizens of Illinois and alleged that the governor tried to "auction off" the Senate seat "to the highest bidder".

I guess he was selling it to the wrong people...

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I read this today. The sad part is I'm not shocked or surprised given how many elected officials get into trouble with the law. Anyone remember NYS Ex-Governer Spitzer and how a hooker led to his downfall? What is sad is that most of these people are smarter and better educated than their constituents. They should know better.

meuge

Enlightened
I read this today. The sad part is I'm not shocked or surprised given how many elected officials get into trouble with the law. Anyone remember NYS Ex-Governer Spitzer and how a hooker led to his downfall? What is sad is that most of these people are smarter and better educated than their constituents. They should know better.
Maybe it's me, but I believe that visiting a hooker is a VERY different crime than selling a Senate seat.

As far as I am concerned - the hooker business was between Spitzer and his wife, and should never have been brought out into the mainstream or led to his resignation. This was clearly a political move, and there is now rightfully an investigation into the behavior of the Justice dept. in this matter.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
all I can say is: I voted for the Green Party in the last election for the governor.

Steve K.
Peoria, IL

p.s. I'm glad we have Fitzgerald to finally do something about the bumper crop of rotten politicians here in Illinois.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
They aren't only in Illinois. It's an obvious case of politicians that don't really care and believe they are above the law and the common guy. And history has shown it's likely nothing will happen either.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Maybe it's me, but I believe that visiting a hooker is a VERY different crime than selling a Senate seat.

As far as I am concerned - the hooker business was between Spitzer and his wife, and should never have been brought out into the mainstream or led to his resignation. This was clearly a political move, and there is now rightfully an investigation into the behavior of the Justice dept. in this matter.
Sure, this is way worse but I definitely feel Spitzer did the right thing resigning for two reasons. One, he broke the law. Even though I'm personally against laws prohibiting prostitution, unless such laws are changed our elected officials should obey them. Two, it's a violation of the oath he took when he was married. That should be the most important oath anyone takes, even more important than an oath of office. If he can casually violate his marriage oath, I certainly won't trust him to uphold his oath of office. I don't buy the it's OK to cheat because everyone else is, or some such nonsense, I heard lots of people make regarding another famous figure who cheated on his wife.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Politicians should be held to a higher standard. Spitzer did the right thing by resigning. Why oh why isn't Blagojevich resigning? He made mention that he should appoint himself to be the Senator of his fine state just so he would have access to more resources to fight these allegations. Illinois; Where corruption meets arrogance.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Who do you suppose will be playing Blogo in the upcoming made for TV movie that's surely now in production?

Geoff

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a problem with the arrest, but I do question the timing. They have been watching this guy for years and they pick this exact moment.

Some interesting things that happened or were going to happen soon:
- Apt. of new senator coming up
- Other stuff I am sure
- He started pushing Bank of America to re-extend the credit line they pulled from a viable manufacting company in Chicago.

I wonder which one was the "real" tipping point ?

Just curious - doesn't it seem strange to anyone that replacement politicians are picked by other politicians ? Why not a mail in ballot replacement vote ?

meuge

Enlightened
Update:

It appears as if the "buyer" for the senate seat, who was offering something like $1 million in cash, was none other than Jesse Jackson Jr.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jesse should go to jail for bribery as should anyone bidding on the senate seat. Blagojevich needs to be removed from office before he can appoint himself as senator. I can't believe he got out on $5000 bail. Who set that bail? I guess there's a precedent seeing as corrupt Illinois Governors have their own wing at the state prison.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jesse Jackson, his father, has documented ties to certain Chicago based street gangs; it's not surprising that Jr. is involved.

How many Ill. Governors have been criminally in trouble? Seems like every one elected is prosecuted for something.

--dan

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
How many Ill. Governors have been criminally in trouble? Seems like every one elected is prosecuted for something.

--dan

a lot.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/10/illinois.corruption/

And that DNA runs through the governor's office, dating back to the 1920s.
• GOP Gov. Lennington Small, who served the state from 1921 to 1929, was indicted for embezzlement -- but later acquitted.

• Democratic Gov. Otto Kerner, who served from 1961 to 1968, was convicted in 1973 on 17 counts of bribery, conspiracy, perjury and other charges before being sentenced to three years in prison.

• Democratic Gov. Dan Walker, who served from 1973 to 1977, was convicted nearly 10 years later, in 1987, on bank fraud charges.

• Gov. George Ryan, a Republican who served from 1999 to 2003, was convicted in April 2006 of fraud in a case stemming from bribes paid for various state licenses. The disgraced ex-governor reported to a federal prison in Wisconsin in November 2006 to serve a 6½-year sentence.

Lightmeup

Enlightened
The sad thing is that nobody in Illinois is surprised when something like this happens. BTW, you guys are posting rumors or something. Jesse Jackson Jr. did not offer to buy Obama's seat. And the reason Fitzgerald acted now was because he just got wind of this Senate auction that Blago was running, and they wanted to nip that in the bud.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The sad thing is that nobody in Illinois is surprised when something like this happens. BTW, you guys are posting rumors or something. Jesse Jackson Jr. did not offer to buy Obama's seat. And the reason Fitzgerald acted now was because he just got wind of this Senate auction that Blago was running, and they wanted to nip that in the bud.

Jackson was name as "Senate Candidate 5," and was raising 1.5 million for Blagojevich's campaign. Jackson met with him the day before the indictment's were released, and he was the top choice, coincidently, after raising the "campaign contributions."

IMO, he's as dirty as the rest of them.

Lightmeup

Enlightened
Jackson was name as "Senate Candidate 5," and was raising 1.5 million for Blagojevich's campaign. Jackson met with him the day before the indictment's were released, and he was the top choice, coincidently, after raising the "campaign contributions."

IMO, he's as dirty as the rest of them.
Fitzgerald stated that Jackson never mentioned any bribes with Blag. Someone else may have, who knows.