Couple weaponlight questions

talonturbo

Newly Enlightened
OK, in the market for a light, or possibly light/laser unit for a G23. First, I would not consider non-LED. second, I would really only consider something with a possible grip-activated pressure switch (SF, SL, and?). Third, if it can work, or be modded to work with r123's, all the better. I don't mind spending the bucks to have something modded, but the end result cost is of course a consideration.

What are my options?

In a perfect world, it would have a green laser, good LED, and work off of r123's, all activated when I pick it up.

supes

Enlightened
In order to have a green laser + white light source, you would need to get something like the lasermax rail laser+additional LED weaponslight such as a SF X300 or Insight Procyon or SL TLR2. The future SF X400 will have a red laser. The SL TLR2 has a red laser. I think Viridian is bringing out a combination white light+green laser, not sure of date release though.

They have had issues with the grip switch(DG something) on for the X series lights. Surefire will definitely cover you but it will occur repeatedly.

Rechargeable batteries, I'm unsure of because I do not use on weaponslight. Maybe try 3.0v rechargeable 123?

Recap:

Your perfect light does not exist right now.

Light with no green laser but red laser:
-SF X400
-SL TLR2

Light with no laser:
-SF X300/X200a/b
-SL TLR1
-Insight Procyon

talonturbo

Newly Enlightened
OK, while on the subject, any great mods for any weaponlights? A cheap boost in power one way or another?

Wondering what the choice of flashoholics would be.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would not recommend modifying a light that was meant for mounting onto a weapon.

supes post pretty much says everything else I have to say.

I have a SF X200A and the way it circulates around the shop (work part time at a gun range) it still keeps ticking despite being "shot" off two different guns due to not locking it into place (once on my Glock 19, another time on a Glock 20) and a estimated round count of about 7500 or so (9mm, .40, .45ACP, .45 GAP, 10mm, .357 mag.) Four other range members went out and bought this light due to trying mine.

I am awaiting for the X400 to come out (although with a red laser.)

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
M951C with the bezel area opened just enough to house a Malkoff M60W, or M60WF depending on your needs, running on 2 primary cells.

I ditched the other tacticool stuff, like lasers and extra grips, at the though of packing the heavy rig for more than 20 miles at a time. Will I ever do that, probably not anymore but after playing with the other stuff I figured I never really needed it. So now I am happily stripped down.

Last edited:

Policetacteam

Enlightened
What weapon platform is this light going on? Rifle, subgun, or handgun? I run a Surefire X200B on my G22 and a Surefire M952XM07 Millennium Universal WeaponLight System (SWAN levers) w/ Malkoff M60 running to my Tango Down VFG on my rifle. The Malkoff M60 is the only modding I would even consider unless its been tried and tested!!! If this a weapon light for law enforcement or military I would serious reconsider doing any tinkering or modding unless its a quality drop-in like Malkoff's! Even if it is for home / self defense...consider a mechanical malfunction at a time when you need to be properly identifying your threat and throwing rounds down range! As for the laser...I think laser have their place and definitely increase accuracy. There are several quality laser out there that are worth a look. As for incorporating a light / laser combo I have yet to be impressed with anything out there! To me, they are too bulky. Lasermax makes quality lasers for an affordable price. Just my .02

beavo451

Newly Enlightened
I would suggest an X300 with DG switch and just ditch the laser. Unless you are going to extensively train with the laser, its usefulness is limited. I've seen people spend extra time looking for the dot when they could have gotten two rounds down range if they had just used their sights.

If you really want a laser, I would suggest using Crimson Trace grips.

Obligatory X300 + DG switch pic

P226HDR.jpg

They have had issues with the grip switch(DG something) on for the X series lights. Surefire will definitely cover you but it will occur repeatedly.

What are these problems?

Sgt. LED said:
M951C with the bezel area opened just enough to house a Malkoff M60W, or M60WF depending on your needs, running on 2 primary cells.

Jesus on a Glock 23? Talk about on heck of an adapter your would have to make.

Last edited:

N/Apower

Enlightened

I ditched the other tacticool stuff, like lasers and extra grips, at the though of packing the heavy rig for more than 20 miles at a time. Will I ever do that, probably not anymore but after playing with the other stuff I figured I never really needed it. So now I am happily stripped down.

I went even lighter. I had a 961 and wanted less weight, so I went with a LaRue 606 mount and a 6P with a M60W, flip-filter, Z49 clicky, on my KAC rail with a KAC VFG positioned in a convenient way so my thumb can activate it very easily. Tape-switches turn me off.

OP: The Insight Procyon is a good alternative to the X300 if $ is an issue.