Help: Nitecore D10 Turning On Automatically

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
Hi guys,

I just got a Nitecore D10 from a CPF member, and I've been having some problems with it. When I received the light, it was turned on. So I noticed whenever the light is accidentally banged on button side, it turns on.

I tried taking the battery tube out, cleaning it, and re-lubing it (with Nyogel 760G), but it still has the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Guy's Dropper

Enlightened
Re: Help: Nitecore D10 Turning On

The button is used for momentary on. It or the battery could be loose. My guess would be to shake the light and see if you feel anything moving around.

brucec

Enlightened

This sounds like a sticky piston issue. The Nitecore PD design uses a "floating" contact ring which on some lights is a bit sticky. Try using a small screwdriver and enlarging the split gap in the brass ring (the part that moves) in the head. That may help. The EX10's mechanism is more serviceable because you can take apart the entire assembly to get at the spring underneath. I don't know if anyone has figure out how to disassemble the D10 head.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast

The D10 has also been disassembled, but it's a bit harder. There's a thread in home made and modified IIRC, but the general gist is to bend something to use as a pick, get it under the brass ring and gradually pull it up, moving around the ring, then go from there.

I think some of the very first lights had an issue of coming on at a very low level and needed to be replaced; does yours come on at a low level or on normally?

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened

Well I tried enlarging the gap in the brass ring, but it won't stay enlarged.

The light comes on at whatever level it was set at previously.

What sort of material can I stick under the brass ring? Paper clip? O-ring?

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened

Well I tried sticking an entire o-ring under the brass ring - it just seizes the entire piston.

Then I cut off 1/4 the o-ring and stuck it under the brass ring - same results...

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
That ring is a contact point don't put anything under it.It sounds like the contacts are just real close try backing out the head a little at a time till it no longer happens
C

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
That ring is a contact point don't put anything under it.It sounds like the contacts are just real close try backing out the head a little at a time till it no longer happens
C

Thanks Chris, I tried that, but I have to twist off before it won't turn on again. Even then, when I hit the tailside, it has momentary on.

FsTop

Enlightened
Kind of a novel approach, but instead of goofing up the light with the do-it-yourself method, perhaps you could contact the seller and ask for a replacement?
:drool:

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of battery are using? If it is a protected 14500 cell and is a bit long, it could cause this problem. Only AW protected 14500 cells work well with this light.

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
I got it used from another member, so I'm not sure...would this come under warranty if I contacted a Nitecore seller?

I'm using Titanium 2700 mAh or Duracell Alkalines right now.

I think I semi-fixed it: increasing the tension of the spring by stretching it out seems to keep it from turning on. I tested it from a 3ft and 6ft drop onto carpet - turns on at the 6 foot drop.

Also, 1-3 secs after I turn off the light, it's really easy to turn the light back on by hitting the bottom end. Is it because current is still in the circuit so a light taps turns it on?

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can get some Deoxit Red, it could solve your problem. Put a SMALL drop on the inside bottom border of the split ring so that it gets under the ring. Then GENTLY press down on the ring and twist it around a few times to distribute the Deoxit. It will clean the contact surfaces on the underside of the split ring and on the mating contact surface on the circuit board that you can't see that probably are sticking. You might have to do this a couple of times, letting the Deoxit dry out for a few minutes between applications. DON"T use too much at a time. DON't use Deoxit Gold afterwards either. (It seems to be a bit more oily and INMO interferes with the function of this light)

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm no expert, but I'd say a cap is discharging, and your slight tap while it's half discharged is enough to recharge it fully, activating the light. When the cap is fully discharged (after being off for a while) the tiny amount of current released isn't enough to fully charge it and make a difference.

Course, I might be talking out me rear end (again!)

Climb14er

Enlightened
Hi guys,

I just got a Nitecore D10 from a CPF member, and I've been having some problems with it. When I received the light, it was turned on. So I noticed whenever the light is accidentally banged on button side, it turns on.

I tried taking the battery tube out, cleaning it, and re-lubing it (with Nyogel 760G), but it still has the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I had a Nitecore EX10, same problem. Anytime that I placed it (lightly) down on the desk, especially standing on its button side, the light turned on by itself. Very disconcerting. The light was also on auto by itself, getting brighter and dimmer w/o my doing anything.

Last week I finally called 4sevens and they were very good about having me return the light to them.

4sevens has been excellent in their service and they're trying to duplicate the problems I had. Wouldn't you know it. LOL Could be that taking the battery out for one week cleared the light's memory.

Good people to deal with!

Last edited: