Dorcy Cree

Marduke

Flashaholic
Do not waste your money on 3xAAA lights, especially at that ridiculous price.

BTW, the description says Cree, but the title says K2. Which do you believe?

jblackwood

Enlightened
Looks impressive! The price is underwhelming but I'm still disappointed with the Dorcy torch they were trying to sell on BF that ran on 6 AAA's!

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks kinda of interesting, but not almost $50 interesting. As far as us flashlight enthusiast should be concerned, Dorcy flashlights are only worth buying when they go on clearance, there's a big sale (like at least 50% off) or for certain particular models (like their venerable 3D Luxeon flashlight). Man, I can't believe they're charging almost $50 for that one...then again considering it's Dorcy, I can.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
-pass on it
-over-priced
-Unregulated 3AAA :green:

There are FAR better lights to pick from, many significantly cheaper.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Lights using single AAA batteries or 2 AAA batteries are usually fine. Either keychain or pen lights.

But 3AAA lights(or any other 3 1.5v cell lights), well those usually have a resistor at most, no regulator circuit. Bright at first but dims really quickly. Look at the runtime graph of this(Verses someything like this). 6AAA probably just means you get a bit more time at the higher output.

The cheaper ones(multi 5mm LED ones) depend on the internal resistance of the battery to keep the current at the right level so not to kill the LEDs. If you try rechargeable in those lights, the LEDs will die quicker then usual.

They do have one thing for them, simplicity. But usually that is negated considering the lack of regualtion and low quality(there are some exception quality wise).

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
The title shows this.

41-4289 200 Lumens Tactical 6 Watt 3 AAA K2

Yet in the rest of the description it says it's a Cree.

Somewhere there's an error.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
What are some of the down sides of using AAA batteries?

The 3AAA format could be a serviceable one... if manufacturers got a clue and designed the lights with better DC-DC regulation. All seem to be resistor'd direct drive :sick2:

AAA cells are also more expensive per watt, than AA.
AAA cells do not have the mah capacity of AA or primary CR123.
AAA lights usually employ some kind of 3-cell carrier, these are typically fragile and do not last very long.
AAA cells are almost always sold in pairs, so using them with a 3AAA light creates an odd number match. Like hot dog makers who sell them in 8-packs and and hot dog buns are sold in 10 packs.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know it's nit-picking a bit, but didn't anybody else notice this particular product feature?

Dorcy_Direct said:
This 200 Lumen flashlight features High Powered Cree Solid State Diode - the brightest LED available in flashlights today! Made of anodized aluminum construction, this 200 lumen flashlight contains a tactical tail cap switch and with ability to twist on and off for constent use. This tool tough construction flashlight comes complete with 3 AAA cell Energizer Titanium batteries.

Isn't this the type of feature (aka copyright licensing infringement) PentagonLight got themselves hauled into court over by SureFire? :thinking:

*Back O/T*
looks like an okay light and I probably would buy one... but NOT however at that ridiculously inflated price, I got my 6P for less delivered (pre economic crisis), mind you it might make a good mod platform eh? :D

Last edited:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
AAA cells are almost always sold in pairs, so using them with a 3AAA light creates an odd number match. Like hot dog makers who sell them in 8-packs and and hot dog buns are sold in 10 packs.

That is a great analogy! :lolsign:

droeun

Newly Enlightened
Changed my mind during the checkout process but found this:

Register Now For Additional Site Features:

• Remember your cart for next time
  • Remember your order history
  • Create your shipping/billing address book
  • Setup a wish list
  • Easily re-order again
  • coupon code: vendors2008 - 20% off and free shipping