reflector testing device

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
whenever i go to make a new mod, i do so with some trepidation, knowing that the reflector might not work as well as i would like it to.

once i made the radioshack mod, and found that the reflector for it sucked, i decided it was time to make a device where i could easily test the reflector to determine if modding was really worth it.

fc2fef18.jpg

here are the two pieces...the base, and the shelf.
the shelf is tapped with a 6/32 thread, and you just use the screw to snug it up and hold it in place.
that is in fact a led on top...i have no idea why it looks like that...

fc2fef0d.jpg

this is a shot with the shelf as high as it can go...no real reason it would ever need to be that high...but oh well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fc2fef07.jpg

this is a shot with the led up as high in the reflector as it can go...again, no real reason it would ever need to be that high, but oh well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fc2fef00.jpg

here it is in action. i have no idea where this reflector came from...it was in my one of my flashlight part drawers... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
and for those of you wondering...this reflector pushes the light forward real nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i may also end up making one with a lambertian emitter, but probably wouldn't sacrifice a 5w...

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roth,

That is brilliant! This should allow the building of custom LED pedestals for flashlight mods. Very nice work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Wilkey

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, I like how you have your wires burried in the post along with the "lockable stand".. here's what I get by with:
reftest.jpg

I didn't know what I was missing with reflectors until I start testing with this thing!

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
thanks wilkey, it should prove useful in many ways
it will probably make a pretty nice candle if my power goes out tonight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (bad lightening! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

nice job slick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

what is up with that base? looks like a mclux attachment.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice Roth! Like that fabulous McGizmo guy, you too can give us the really useful comparison beamshots using the same LED driven at the same current.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
I have been thinking of this for awhile, but have never gotten around to doing it! Great job!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
thanks doug, but i'd have a hard time holding this in my foot... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

go for it led, it's very useful! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Joe400

Newly Enlightened
Frozen in Liquid Carbonite somewhere in Illinois
Rothrandir that is a great idea, thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I also went through the trouble of modding a Brinkmann 2AA just to find out that the reflector was no good. Luckily I was able to salvage my mod by installing a M*g reflector that worked perfectly.

Your invention is so nice that I have to add it to an already long list of other projects. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

Otokoyama

Enlightened
Great idea! Is your pedestal 3/8" diameter or 9/16"? I was going to try this with a threaded pedestal and shelf.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
not sure the diameter of the pedestal...it was as thin as i could make it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
it's way upstairs right now, so i will measure it tonight and let you know tomorrow.

i do have a design that should make it slightly smaller too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i was origionally going to thread it also, but then i remembered i didn't have threading tools /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif
also, threading would have resulted in a wider post...which would have mean it would'nt fit on as many reflectors.

go for it joe...it's worth it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif