The importance of multiple backups....

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
We're in the midst of yet another snowstorm here in New England, we had a storm yesterday that dumped about 8-10 inches of light fluffy powder, champagne powder in fact

Today, we're in the depths of another snowstorm, this one's dropping wet, heavy snow, perfect snowball snow, we now have almost 20-24" of snow just on the flats, not even counting snowdrifts

Put it this way, the snow is so deep that my sister's '08 Toyota Tundra 4wd got stuck backing out of the driveway, it high-centered on a snow ridge, and even 4WD Low wasnt enough to get her out, we had to dig the truck out....

Before I went outside, I considered grabbing my PT EOS Rebel headlamp, but I said to myself, "naah, I have other lights on me anyway".... Anyway, I started digging out the Tundra, but it kept slipping on packed down snow caused by my sister spinning the tires (all four) on the truck in 4WD High, compressing the snow into ice, I went in to check the gararge for kitty litter or sand, or something to give the truck grip....

I reached for my SF A2 in it's belt holster, oops, left that upstairs on my nightstand, checked my RF pocket for my NT EDC-120P, yep, left that one on my nightstand too, D'OH!, went for my car keys with the Arc AAA-P CS, Frak!, left that upstairs too, grabbed my wallet, unzipped it, grabbed the Fenix E01 tucked safely into the fold of the wallet, and looked for the cat litter/gravel, of course, none to be found, so I repocketed it and went back out, by this time, Sis had used 4wd Low to get the truck unstuck and back on the driveway

Walking back into the house, I reflected on how woefully unprepared I was, I let complacency get the best of me, when I put on my jeans to go outside and dig the truck out, I just *ASSUMED* I had my keys, A2 and 120P in their respective places (belt holster for the A2, RF pocket for the 120P, LF pocket for the keys), I was lucky I was only in the driveway, if it was an emergency situation, I wouldn't be as well illuminated as I like to be

...once back in the house, I realized that I *DID* have another light on me, my Fenix L1P in my LR pocket that I had completely forgotten about, but at the time, I felt woefully unprepared

Note to self, check pockets and belt holster for full loadout before venturing outside, especially in inclement weather, and keep on carrying multiple lights, this was the proof I needed that redundant EDC loadout is good, two is one, one is none

Thank Og it only happened in the driveway, worst came to worst, I could have gone inside and grabbed my lights....

Last edited:

curlyfry562

Enlightened
I know how you feel, a few month ago we had a breaker trip in our house one night, and lights out. I generally carry at least one small light around the house, but not this time. I quickly did the "pocket slap" checking for lights and realizing I didn't have any on me :ohgeez::ohgeez:, then I realized I had my MTM Special Ops watch on which provided enough light to find my Surefire E1B , so that I could reset the breaker.

The last layer of redundancy is one of those things which can really save you. I propose we should change the Flashaholic modo of "Two is one, and one is none" to "Three is one, two is none, and one is your not a flashaholic"

Great story Mactech, and how do you fit an E01 in your wallet, I didn't know they were that small.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are quite correct, backups are important. I am a firm believer in backups, I carry L0PSE as my main EDC, backed up by 2 Photons on my keychain, and an LED on my Victorinox SAK Midnight Manager. I have larger lights in coats, jackets, and day carry bags, but these are always on my person.

I do the same with knives, I carry a Blackie Collins Bolt Action in my left hip pocket, and a serrated Spyderco Cricket backup in my right watch pocket or front pocket.

I try to make the backup as useful but in a way that is slightly different than the original. The Photons are white or blue (depending upon the keychain) and red LEDS for different purposes, and the Cricket is serrated where the Bolt action is not. The SAKs blade is scalpel sharp and never used.

The backups have come in handy more times than I care to remember.

Last edited:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
backups is important, but do not forget the follow-up concept: "test of reassurance"

theres no point grabbing and carrying a backup that doesn't work.:thumbsup:

Quite correct, not sure what good a backup would be if it did not work :). Might make a sinker for emergency fishing kit, but thats about it...