Review: Mini-EDC P7 by Sabrewolf

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello gang!

Here is a brief review of the Mini-EDC P7 modded and complete light by Sabrewolf. First off, let me mention that Sabrewolf is a very nice fellow, and funny to boot :laughing:

Here is the light in question:
3131729607_cc831cd857_o.jpg

It is a DX light-based mod, which has several multi-level modes. He supplies a diagram of the UI, which is actually pretty easy to get to know, and the UI handles all the various modes well. Most importantly, the different brightness levels are visually spaced, rather than spaced based on equal drive level deltas. That was always one of my biggest gripes about Chinese multi-mode lights. It is a reverse clicky, btw.

Sabrewolf breathes new life into this DX light with either a Cree MC-E, or an SSC P7. I opted for the warm 5A-binned MC-E:

3132556418_f203fd8784_o.jpg

Btw, Sabrewolf replaces the stock o-rings with nice silicone ones, and even adds a second o-ring at the tailcap, for better waterproofing:
3132556472_4bd0721656_o.jpg

Doesn't that look like much higher-quality light now? :D

One last word about the host: the lens is glass, the reflector MOP, and the light has nice shallow grooves on the side that aid in grip. Overall, a solid-feeling host.

My favorite operating mode was the High -> Med -> Low one. Here is a shot (all shots with exposure locked and daylight white balance) of the high beam:
3132556504_4658c66c31_o.jpg

Med:
3131729813_9870a3e9ac_o.jpg

Low:
3132556560_6a6ca09fb5_o.jpg

Notice how they are nicely visually spaced out. The light achieves this with PWM. It is noticeable to my eyes, but then again I am a bit sensitive. It is not worse than other PWM's I've seen, such as FluPIC's.

There is a donut, but these shots were taken from about 10" away from the wall (I know, I should have done it from further away too...I promise I will, after the holidays :sssh: ). The donut goes away quite a bit at about 3 feet. It's still there - which is to be expected from a multi-die emitter like the MC-E, and from such a small and non-custom reflector. But it's so bright that you quickly forget about the donut =) After these shots were taken, I added a circle of matte Scotch tape to the front - and the donut almost completely disappeared. It became a very punchy, floody light. I like it a lot in this format. Again, I'll post pics later as I get a chance.

On high the light seems to be putting out about 300+ lumens, at least - and that's on a primary. I haven't even had a chance to try it out on a RCR123 yet. And the runtime? Over 30 minutes, by my informal test! I suspect it is even a bit more. I ran an unintended runtime by falling asleep with the light on, in my hand. I woke up around 20 minutes later with the light roasting my hand =) And this was with quite a bit of runtime on it already. Surprisingly, the heat and continuous runtime did not seem to affect the beam at all, as it is at the same brightness as when I first received it.

I plan to do a more scientific runtime after I return from the holidays =)

Btw, the focus can be adjusted, albeit just a little bit due to the tight fit in this tiny host's head, by unscrewing the module that the LED is part of. You can get tighter throw but at the cost of more donut.
3132556642_952130c100_o.jpg

Verdict? All in all, a great light! And not only from this, but all the other new lights that Sabrewolf has coming out or in the works, I am excited to see what he will bring. He does good work, and he's fast too. This light is a pocket mini-barn burner =D Great job!

gsegelk

Newly Enlightened
Nice review thanks! I tried to get in on the same round but by the time I saw the thread it was too late. Did you get the 1.4A or the 2.8A version? ...I'm guessing the 1.4A and if so, it seems plenty bright (I can't imagine what the 2.8A version would look like though!). The UI seemed like it would be a bit confusing but it sounds like it might not be that bad.

Any chance you could post some comparison beamshots with other lights after the holidays??

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
gsegelk - yes, don't worry though, I think he has more planned shortly =) Right now he has a pre-buy going on, and is ordering the parts. The multi-mode driver only goes to the 1.4A, the 2.8A direct-drive version will see you about 550-600 lumens I believe, but then you don't get the longer running lower output settings, and have to use RCR123's only.

The UI is really not that confusing at all. Basically, when you're in a 'mode' (which contains several brightness levels and possibly signal/strobes), you tap the light (turning off and on briefly) to switch to the next level. To change modes, go to the lowest level in the current mode, and wait five seconds - the light will blink rapidly 3 times, at which point you fully click the button, then click it again (off and then on) right away, and it will move to the next mode. Pretty straight forward =)

And yes! I should have done so, and I forgot. Will post some comparos after the holidays =)

chew socks

Newly Enlightened
gsegelk - yes, don't worry though, I think he has more planned shortly =) Right now he has a pre-buy going on, and is ordering the parts. The multi-mode driver only goes to the 1.4A, the 2.8A direct-drive version will see you about 550-600 lumens I believe, but then you don't get the longer running lower output settings, and have to use RCR123's

The direct drive also has a 5% mode and it must be run with IMR cells.

PS: Nice Review!