What is your LED EDC used for?

camaro09

Enlightened
So let me ask a question if i may. I hear alot of people on here talking about how they use there LEDs for every day carry use. My question is what is that every day use? I mean are you police or security or mechanic or handyman etc.? Alot say they buy tools that are used everyday but for what? Is it used to walk the dog or search for the lost child or S.W.A.T.? I would love to hear what your EDC LED is actually used for, instead of just saying it gets used.:)

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Finding pills on the floor in my psych patients rooms. (They are always trying to spit out/hide their pills)

Doing the 15 minute rounds on night shift, I have to actually walk up and check on all 15 of them every 15 minutes to make sure they are not killing themselves or someone else. A low output LED doesn't wake them up and make my job easier. If they are being naughty a nice blast of lumens gets their attention and then I jump them. It doesn't deter them from anything, just makes them switch their focus for a second.

Walking to the car after work.

Taking out the trash.

Walking along the perimeter of my property checking things out.

Sneaking around the house at night raiding the fridge.

Walking out of the movies since they never turn on the house lights as bright as they are when you walk in it seems.

I like to play with it the rest of the time. :grin2: Flashaholic

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
To be honest I don't use it for much of anything. At least not for a job and I don't have a dog to walk. I just like them, and it's there in my pocket for those little unforeseen needs where a flashlight is the only solution. I also create needs by turning off house lights. I'm just a little sick. :sick:

Geoff

Burgess

Flashaholic
Gee . . . .

ANYtime that i need additional lighting, i grab (one of) my EDC.

Find a lightswitch

Check the thermometer

Look in the Freezer

Look in the car trunk

Look under the table

Look behind the computer / TV / cabinet / etc.

With my aging eyesight, a few more Lumens is a welcome assist !

:candle:
_

Igor Porto

Enlightened
Sneaking around the house at night raiding the fridge.

:crackup:

Well, just a few examples from today:

1 - My house keys fell under the driver's seat today, so I needed some light to help find them... at 3 a.m.
2 - Walking from the car to the door, there was no illumination in the garage.
3 - Finding the key hole
4 - Now I'll sleep and it will be under my pillow, if I need it, or if a storm cuts out the power, I can walk in the dark to find other lights or to guide myself, or if I hear spooky sounds and need to raid the fridge to check it out (still laughing, Sgt.!!!)

You actually don't miss it, when you've never used it. It's just like that great thing you discovered, and didn't know how you could've lived without it for so many years. Hard to explain.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good question. I'm a chauffeur and I use my lights (yes, I EDC 4 lights) almost every night for a number of on-the-job type duties, especially this time of year.

Often when I show up to a house to take folks to dinner there is not much exterior lighting, so out comes my NT 120P to light the way to the car. There is no street lighting in Carmel, so when I drop them at the restaurant out comes the 120P again.

Pick them up at after dinner...... 120P......... drop them at the house...120P. Check the car to make sure they didn't leave any cell phones, jewelry or small animals...... you guessed it.... out comes the 120P.

Get back to the yard at 1 am and hop on my bicycle for the 2 mile ride home along the ocean-side bike path..... out comes the L2D-CE to light my way.

My doorway is dark when I get home..... so I have a little fauxton coin cell hung up by the door to light the key hole.

It's surprising how many folks will plan a little sunset beach party and don't think about the fact that it gets dark after sunset and they will need to find their way back to the car. I've often found myself standing at the top of a bluff with 2 lights, one pointing down toward the beach lighting the trail up the bluff, and the other pointing the opposite direction lighting the pathway back to the car. I love those moments!

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a Reserve Police Officer (in training) all of our meetings are 6pm to 10pm. Obvious need for a light almost constantly unless indoors.

Other than that.. typical things a normal person would do.

I like to strobe people to make sure they aren't Epileptic..

Oh how terrible a person I am.

BrightKnight

Newly Enlightened
Sometimes I have to fix my machine accidentally.

Sometimes I have to find sth under a shelf in my store.

Sometimes I want to find out what's that noise in my PC case.

Sometimes you don't know.
You know when you want.

LD01 and Ultrafire C3 are small like a finger.
I carry one of them everyday and never feel it till I need it.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my C2H a little bit at work. I also use it to get to my house. Since I live in the country I have to walk through a trail through the woods to get to the house which is about 100 yd walk.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO an EDC is for an unforseen situation that needs light. I nearly had to use my raw al to return fire at a mate who go a 3 million candlepower spotlight for christmas earlier today, but he'd already used it too much and the batteries where flat (lol). I've used it to change clothes and load boats at night after a kayaking trip went on a bit longer than planned, explore caves, alert people to my position, as a bike light when I stayed out longer than planned, finding keyholes, walking round the house at night, inspecting parts at work, checking cables under my desk, etc. Although it doesn't see use every day, I don't know how I'd get around without it now, and it's one of the things I check when I leave the house... "wallet, keys, EDC, phone... let's go!"

The place I differ to others on here is that if I know I'll be needing a light, I'll grab a bigger light as they're far better for extended use, though too big to EDC.

sappyg

Enlightened
since i'm a builder i have tons of uses:
checking out workmanship before i get lights and power on a house.
looking in caninets and closets.
inspecting furnaces (usually in attcs here)
inspecting drywall and paint (my last painter quit because i used a "lamp")
checking showers and tubs for defects and cracks (you'd be surprised how bad all of them really are)

i do switch lights depending on what i will likely be doing from day to day. when i'm checking drywall out comes the g3 with an r2 drop in and strong spot and longer run time. otherwise more flood is better.
usually one light does'nt cover all these applications so i normally have at least 2 edc's on me.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walking out to the truck after sunset, finding keyholes on doors, going into the garage(our garage lighting is terrible), bumps in the night, going out to the backyard to water the plants (best to do this when it's dark and the ground is cool), finding things dropped on the ground, and pointing it at some dark area hoping to see something interesting :p. One time at a movie theater some girl had lost a ring her boyfriend had given her the day before, I was glad that I had a photon II on me as well as my normal edc, 200 lumens in a dark theater looking for something 1 foot away is wayyyy overkill.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
At work, looking into machinery, under dashboards, dark toolbox drawers.
At home, dog walking, "bump in the night" noises,making people say OMG... what kind of light is that?

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like to use mine just because....walking the dog, taking out the trash, using it when i forget to turn on the porch light, and also walking the perimeter of the house to make sure everything is okay.

Superdave

Enlightened
At work for looking inside slot machines, climbing around in the ceilings, looking in the slot machine stands for parts that i dropped or lost, blinding people etc...

at home for crawling around in the attic, working on my car in the dark, fixing the sump pumps in the dark and other fun stuff. :ironic:

GreySave

Enlightened
I walk for health reasons. Since I walk in the evenings or late at night a good light is essential for me to see and for others to see me. Some areas do not have sidewalks so there are short areas where I have to share the road with motorists.

Also used daily for security issues around our neighborhood. Many breakins lately and the neightbors appreciate my sweep of their very dark backyards.

Also used daily in our basement as it is not fully lighted,

Although not a daily item, they are used for Community Emergency Response Team and County Animal Response Team activations and exercises.

vb14

Newly Enlightened
...and it's there in my pocket for those little unforeseen needs where a flashlight is the only solution...

Geoff

Exactly. You EDC something because you might have to use it. If one edc a weapon, I don't think that person is looking forward to use it. Better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it (ok, maybe not so much true for lights).

Thanks.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
OH just thought of another!

Making sure the TP is comming back clean so I know I am done! :green:
:crackup: Maybe that's primarily camping though.........................

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use them for seeing things better in the house, at work and in my car.

I live in a double wide manufactured home and the light switches are often on the opposite side of the room from where you are entering and we have cats, so a flashlight helps make safe navigation possible. A light that's on my body is handier than one that's on a shelf somewhere.

I'm unemployed now, but when I'm working, I often need a little extra light on my work to see what's going on in the equipment, so a flashlight that's handy is essential.

My car's interior lights are dead, so seeing anything in my car at night requires a handy flashlight, so one that's on me and easily accessible is essential.

Those are my reasons. I'm always using them to navigate around in my house, find something or read something.

An additional usage is the very bright strobe to possibly help temporarily deter a bad guy. I hope that I never need that usage.

Hendrikjansen

Newly Enlightened
I use my light for when some criminal come in my garden and try to brake in my house......... I will shoot him :)

Last edited: