C2 Tradgedy

edc3

Enlightened
While biking tonight I let go of my C2 while braking and somehow it came off the lanyard. This was the result:

C2_Tragedy.jpg

I'm going to contact Surefire next week about getting a new lens. I'm worried that the retaining ring might get stuck because of the damage to the head. I wonder if I can buy a whole C2 head separately? The tail has some damage too, but seems to be functioning okay. The Malkoff M6 came through fine.

LumenMan

Enlightened
Wow ! :mecry: Your C2 took a good fall ! I'm almost certain that Surefire will replace the complete bezel assembly for you :)

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the "battle-damaged" lights, it gives it a really rugged look!:devil: As mentioned SureFire will replace the bezel FOC.

Does it still light up?:huh:

edc3

Enlightened
Yeah, it's Battle Damage! :laughing:

I hope they will replace the bezel. I can live with the pits on the tailcap - they add character.

Yep, it still lights up. Thankfully the lens protected my M60. :thumbsup:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at it this way - you can be sure (once it's repaired) that it'll keep running despite heavy abuse. Good to know it'll keep going in a pinch :D

edc3

Enlightened
True. It says something about the Malkoff as well. I don't think I'll start dropping my C2 with other dropins just to test them, but I'd bet some of them wouldn't make it under the same circumstances.

crocodilo

Enlightened
I feel your pain, bro. Glad to hear the M60 held up.

Wonder if my own C2/M60 would have suffered the same damage, now that it has a stainless steel crenelated bezel...

edc3

Enlightened
I feel your pain, bro. Glad to hear the M60 held up.

Wonder if my own C2/M60 would have suffered the same damage, now that it has a stainless steel crenelated bezel...

Thanks crocodilo. Maybe the crenelated bezel would take the bulk of the damage and save the lens?

The C2-HA bezel is the Z44-HA but I still suggest you give SureFire a call.

Thanks for the info Size15's. I did a little searching. I can get a bezel/lens for around $37. But I will call Surefire first. It's not exactly a warranty issue, but if they're willing to replace it I won't complain.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Ouch! That's just painful to look at.

Yeah, Surefire will likely send you a brand new bezel.

Best bet for buying a seperate bezel is to check out the CPF MarketPlace. They come up for sale rather frequently.

mega_lumens

Enlightened
Did your C2 come off a SF lanyard clip? My C2 came off the SF lanyard clip several times and I can't explain how, but somehow the clip will snap off it the lanyard is twisted in a certain way. I don't trust the lanyard anymore.

edc3

Enlightened
Yes, my C2 came with a lanyard AND I was using it. I have no idea how it came off either. When I get it fixed up I'm going to invest in a better clip. I won't trust the one that came with it again. :thumbsdow

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yes, my C2 came with a lanyard AND I was using it. I have no idea how it came off either. When I get it fixed up I'm going to invest in a better clip. I won't trust the one that came with it again. :thumbsdow

The lanyard that comes with the C2, doesn't freely rotate. There was a topic on CPF about how you can twist the lanyard completely free of the light. It's rather common.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Several of us posted about those lanyards, but it's been awhile. The clip needs to go in the garbage. My C2 bit the concrete bezel first twice right after I got it because of the lanyard, but it just gouged up the edge.
That's a lot of damage! My gear gets banged up pretty bad, but I've never hurt a SF lens before. Z3 dropped 15-20ft. headfirst onto concrete, and actually shattered the WE lamp assembly's reflector(which is coated plastic or something, as it turned out) in a shock isolated bezel with no damage to the lens.
You must be a really rough character:poke:

edc3

Enlightened
I'm not all that rough a character. I was riding 20+ miles per hour downhill when it fell. I heard it tumbling behind me. I think the tumbling caused the majority of the damage, not the fall itself.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to get one of these to keep that C2 safe while biking. Depending on your bike and what you have for mount points this might work.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best thing is to use the snap ring not the clip then loop the lanyard thru the ring. But yeah the ha bezel is only like 25 bucks but knowing Surefire they will send you a new one

FiftyCalAl

Newly Enlightened
So , to slightly hijack this thread, what is the best lanyard retention system (without gouing bankrupt)?

Are you saying that if you use the rotating snap ring that goes around the body that it is okay to use the SF lanyard; itis just when attachongthe lanyard via the pocket clip (hole) that it becomes a problem?