C2 Tradgedy

edc3

Enlightened
Could it be that the Malkoff drop-in causes this? It is heavier than a SF lamp or the P60L and it doesn't have a spring to soften the impact as it is trapped between the window and the metal of the light.
bernie

That's an interesting thought. When I get my new bezel I'll try to replicate the same situation with a P60 in the light - just kidding! ;)

I was thinking about the circumstances of the "accident" last night. I'm no physicist, but say I'm going 15mph. Of course the flashlight is also traveling at the the same speed. Even though it's not impacting on a surface perpendicular to the direction of travel, the force with which it impacts is significant. I had at first thought that the major damage happened when the light tumbled after impact, but it now seems obvious that it probably happened on the original impact. It would be interesting to do some drops with a P60 and an M60 (onto a cushioned surface) and see how the extra weight in the head affects how it lands. Gravity being a constant, it would drop at the same rate of speed, but maybe a slightly head-heavy light dropped parallel to the ground would be more apt to land bezel down than a less head-heavy light dropped from the same distance. Just some random thoughts...In any event, I don't think I'll be using a dropin other than the M60.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M60 does have that whole "effectively shockproof" solid potted construction going for it. Gravity does indeed work that way. the distribution of mass is unimportant, assuming two lights dropped the same way both will hit the same way, whether it's using no lamp at all or a 1lb depleted uranium heatsink with airweight batteries. At very high speeds the lighter lamp will be affected more by wind resistance, which would be the only way the heavy lamp would be more likely to hit bezel first.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I hadn't noticed there was an aluminium lip in the head where the lamps seat. Makes a direct effect of the lamp on the window in case of an impact less likely I think.
bernie

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The why is not that important once you have sufficient evidence to be able answer the question yourself.

Since this type of breakage is about as old as putting a Pyrex window into the bezel in the first place, my impression is that SureFire have excepted that sometimes users will encounter situations that break the window. Most likely a drop or bang etc.
Engineering a solution to reduce the incidence of breakage can be done. I bet has been explored years ago. The results would be a compromise in weight, size, output and materials costs etc that is not worth it given the frequency of reported window breakage.

I'm certain that when SureFire encounter things they weren't expecting they like to take a close look.

Al

A realistic possibility. Hopefully that's the case. It could be just more cost-effective to replace a damaged C-series bezel rather than find a way to make them beefier.

eshishlo

Newly Enlightened
That looks close to what happened to my M3. Except there was no damage to the bezel. Mine rolled off the counter and hit the floor. Only damage was the cracked lens. Funny thing is that I dropped a 6P on concrete with no damage, except some scratches.

edc3

Enlightened
Re: C2 Tradgedy - Update

This morning, when I was leaving for work I saw, amongst the plants on our porch, a package from SureFire that must have been left yesterday. It was my new C2 bezel. My C2 is now back in business. A nice way to start the day. Thanks SureFire! :thumbsup: