My Mag P7 Project

jawpaul

Newly Enlightened
Received a Mag 3D / Mini-Mag 2AA combo from the work Christmas party gift swap. I've been a long time lurker, and finally decided to sign up and mod since I had an ideal candidate.

Mini-Mag 2AA
- I bought the nite-ize LED upgrade & switch off eBay
- Will be great for the toolbag

Mag 3D
$20 - P7 from KaiDomain (DSXOJ)
$12 - H22A P7 heatsink HAIII
$69 - 6 x Tenergy 10,000mah D-cell NIMH batteries with universal charger (OnlyBatteries)

I plan on direct driving the P7 off of 3 x NiMh D-Cells.

*Questions*
What thermal compound should I use to attach the P7 to the Heatsink?
Should I order the P7 with star base or not?
What thermal compound/grease between the heatsink and the mag body?
Would you recommend a new lens/reflector assembly?

John

Last edited:

Greg G

Enlightened
The heatsink is made for a bare emitter, so buy that.

Arctic Alumina epoxy for the bare emitter to the heatsink.

The problem you are going to have is that you have a J bin P7. I have a light identical to your except I have an I bin. The front voltage an a J is higher than an I.

If I were you I'd search out an I bin P7. The I bin is better suited for this battery arrangement.

The best reflector I have found is the M@g P7 reflector from DX. Beautiful beam. The outer lip does require some fitting to get the bezel to tighten all the way down.

Last edited:

jawpaul

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Greg

Haven't had any luck finding one with an I vF. Amilite is the only place and they are sold out.

What sort of difference will this make? I assume I will just be under-driving the P7 voltage wise and I would lose a few lumens.

Would this shorten the life span of the P7? Any idea of how much of a difference lumen wise this would make?

I'll look into the reflector also.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aw man that's rough... I was looking at getting another DSWOI from Amilite soon too! :(

Running the J bin in direct drive won't shorten the P7's life any, but you will at best guess experience less performance and a shorter overall runtime ;)

BTW you can get by with a cut-down (sawn-off) Mag' stock reflector should you need to save a few penny's :thumbsup:

Greg G... how much better is the DX reflector's beam? less artifact? better throw? :thinking:

Greg G

Enlightened
If you can't find an "I" bin you might consider changing up the battery pack and adding a driver.

4 AW C cells will fit in a 3 D M@g. You could then add a Shark Buck or a Hipflex driver.

jawpaul

Newly Enlightened
Went with a C-bin with an I vF from Kai.
Ordered some 12,000mah and charger from battery junction instead.

Really trying to go Direct Drive this time (K.I.S.S. principle).

Gotta order the heatsink, and thermal compound....