LED Identification, Please help

holm0299

Newly Enlightened
Hello, new to the forums, but longtime reader. I can't seem to find a good thread about led identification. I think the rebel is fairly easy to identify, but I'm having trouble with the cree. Any help would be appreciated about tips for identifying Led's while in the store. For some practice, here are a couple images of a recently purchased Energizer 1aa light from target. To me it looks like a cree, but I would like to hear from you!

holm0299
DSC00028.jpg

DSC00039.jpg

holm0299

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Use CPF's search, and try "identify", searching in titles only. You'll get half a dozen threads with macro shots.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
The only things you can tell from pics are these:

Emitter type:
2-wire XR-C
3-wire XR-E (older generation)
4-wire XR-E (current generation)

Emitter manufacturing origin:
yellow/white-ish backed = North America
silver backed = Asia

Its impossible to tell the brightness bin or color bin by photo ID. Those are performance attributes that can only be tested for, and not visually inspected for.

Here are some pics from my lights.
xrer2dx17593op2.jpg

xreq5rcn3q5fl8.jpg

xreq2l1tbd2.jpg

xrczy5.jpg

4wirexrep4rcc3pt9.jpg

3wirexrep4lowesyu9.jpg

Last edited:

holm0299

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Kramer for the pics. I posted the pics of my light, it looks like a cree XR-C. i'm very impressed so far. $18 at target, Energizer 1w 1aa, semi-textured reflector. It's extremely bright for it's size and price!

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
holm0299, you must have one of the new version Energizer 1AA flashlights.

The emitter in your photos is different from the LEDs in the Energizer 1AA lights I inspected in the local Target store tonight. Too, your reflector has some "orange peel" and the lights I saw in the store had smooth reflectors.

I was looking for the version you have.

Hope this helps.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It is a XR-C LED. The smaller die gives it away. Less output then the XR-E but the smaller die also gives a narrower beam.