DON'T put an EverLed in a Flavorlight!

Gandalf

Enlightened
DON\'T put an EverLed in a Flavorlight!

I bought an EverLed specifically to put in the Flavorlight, sold by Lifestyle Fascinations. That's the light that runs either 3 or 6 white Nichia's, a CCFT, or a focusable xenon.

I received the light as a gift, and the only thing I didn't like about it was how yellow the xenon lamp looked, even with new batteries, after LED's, or the CCFT.

Since the xenon lamp has a PR base, and is focusable, adding an EverLed seemed like a way to make this possibly the most versatile production light available. *Sigh*

Fortunately.....when I removed the xenon lamp, and looked at the contacts, I remembered how someone had instantly fried a $45 EverLed in a Tec 40, with reversed polarity (negative lamp tip contact) Got out my meter, and sure enough, the contact at the tip of the lamp is *negative*

Damn, this was the *only* reason I bought the EverLed.

So the EverLed still sits sealed in it's package, and I'm not sure I have another light I really want to put it in.

Anyway, this points out how important it is to check polarity on the light *before* you put an EverLed into it. I was lucky, thanks to someone else's misfortune: I *didn't* fry my EverLed. They are expensive little suckers. But it's homeless, for the time being, at least. So the EverLed still sits sealed in it's package, and I'm not sure I have another light I really want to put it in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Gandalf

Enlightened
Re: DON\'T put an EverLed in a Flavorlight!

[ QUOTE ]
PhotonBoy said:
5 minutes with a $5 Radio Shack soldering iron would let you reverse the battery polarity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I thought of that, but it seems the same wires supply the LED board, as well as the xenon lamp, are under a circular circuit board (under the LED board) which is riveted in place. While this is certainly a possibility, I don't care to drill out the rivets, to see what's underneath. An educated guess would be that the same wires which supply current to the LED board, supply the xenon lamp. My guess would be that the wires supplying the LED board are likely riveted to the contacts to that little xenon lamp assembly, as this is a typical manufacturing method. Making this change is not going to be a 5 minute operation, by any means.

While this mod may be possible, this is assuming there is room, and sufficient wire, to cut the wires, reverse the polarity to the xenon lamp holder, splice and solder wires, and maintain the correct polarity to the LED board. Given modern manufacturing methods, and my soldering skills, I doubt there is an extra 2 centimeters of wire which would make this 'only' and hour or two project, for me, unfortunately. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

ledaholic

Enlightened

Put it in a Energizer Arc White, you won't be dissapointed.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

So we have 3 lights now that we KNOW have reversed polarity. The Tec40, the Energizer 2 in 1 and now the "flavorlight" (which I have to tell you that personally I think that is a really silly name)

Anybody else keeping track of any others?

flashlightDR

Newly Enlightened

You can add Coleman, 4-A's (camp light) to that list as well.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

flashlightDR, is that the one they advertise as the "floating" one that pulls out to change from a flashlight to a lantern? I was looking at that the other day. oh well.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

James S,

That is correct, the Coleman 4AA lantern/flashlight will not work with the EverLED.