Malkoff 6D here at last -beamshots too

Fred S

Newly Enlightened
Got my Malkoff LED upgrade today. I ordered on 02JAN09 and here it is on the 6th. Crazy fast service. I ordered a pre-cut reflector with it and had the whole thing installed in about 3 minutes. Beamshot is done @ 8 ft and for those of you who know camera stuff (I don't) the pics were taken with a Canon Powershot 880 on auto night photo setting. When I look in the photo info, the camera says ISO 250 1/8 sec and F2.8 for both pics. As you can see, way more light with the LED. The beam shots were done with the same D batts, and I suspect they are more than a bit weak. I will try for some new batteries and new beamshots soon. I was a bit concerned about how far i would have to unscrew the head for best focus. No problem - best throw focus @ ~2 turns. Next upgrade is a glass lens and that should do it. One last thing, Gene answered several e-mails for me and delivered his stuff in 4 days, doesn't get much better than that.

Oh yeah, when I say here at last, I must have spent 2 weeks deciding if i was gonna buy this thing. When i finally pulled the trigger, it was at my house right now (see above for delivery timing)
Stock Maglite
StockMag6D.jpg

Malkoff Drop-in
MalkoffDrop-in.jpg

Last edited:

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
i have the 6c mag mod and love it, its regulation is flat and perfect, being in chattanooga i get overnight shipping with standard shipping, and my first tower had some quirk where it would shut down for no reason, so i emailed mr malkoff and had a reply asking for my order number, and the nex thing i know i have a new tower in my mailbox, with a note from mrs malkoff telling me to have a great new year and that she hoped that this tower works out better... try beating that for service and customer service, i love the tower and my m60l. both are the best of the best.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It means it doesn't drop in output or drops very little output wise when the driver can pull enough current to be regulated.

I don't know the answer to that since I don't have a Malkoff or a light measuring device.(according to mossyoak it is pretty flat)

Fred S

Newly Enlightened
im running it on some cheapo alkalines, and i have only had it on for a few minutes, so probably not enough to drain the batteries enought to see any drop in light output. I read on a number of other threads that these drop-ins are pretty good. It says on the website that they light burns "brightly" for XX hours and then several more hours at a reduced output. This sounds like it is regulated in some way to have a consistent brightness for a long time and when the batteries go, it get significantly dimmer in a hurry.

The Alliance

Newly Enlightened
Glad to read about the good service. I've been planning to buy the Malkoff dropin for my 3d mag, but I'm still really busy right now, but hopefully, can do it by the end of the month.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
YOur camera looks way off... in reality Malkoff is much brigther but in the pics they look about the same.

Try shooting both at 100m distance... or 50m.

Fred S

Newly Enlightened
i dont have much of a camera, all i did was use the night photo setting. When i buy a 50 or 100 meter long house i will be good to go :p (i live in a suburban neighborhood with streetlights all over the place, so outdoor shots are pretty useless)

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Can you set the camera to manual?

If you can, you can try a faster shutter speed to capture the difference in hotspot brightness.

Fred S

Newly Enlightened
When i get the UCL lens and new batts, i am hoping to do a new set of shots and i will try to mess with the camera some more then