Convert an older Surefire Z2 Combat or E2 to LED?

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow.... about all I can say after venturing into this complex new world of flashlights. I have a Surefire Z2 combat and E2 Exec that are a number of year's old, without a lot of use. I even have a case of Surefire 123's that date back a good 5 years or so, I think. Now I discover what's going on here with LED's and all. WOW. AND I discover the dangers of using multiple 123's. YIKES.

Anyway, is there a nice conversion to LED for my Z2 or E2 Surefires?

And is there a substitution for the 2x 123's, like a single rechargeable of some sort?

These waters get really deep, really fast for a newbie like me, so I hope I'm not asking reaaaally dumb questions! From what I've read here, I know I like the longevity and durability of LED and the relative safety (from venting) with the 18650. I have no idea if I can use anything like the 18650 in my Z2 or E2, but would appreciate your advice. Thanks very much. INCREDIBLE FORUM and MEMBERS!

Last edited:

Bruce B

Enlightened
For starters there is the Surefire P60L LA (http://www.surefire.com/P60L) which will fit into you Z2. I do suggest you look around on the forum and get others opinions as well, due to the fact that there are much better LED LA that will work with your Z2. As far as the E2, I am not sure if there is an LA that will convert it to LED, other than buying an LED conversion head direct from SF. Maybe the other more experienced Flashaholics here can help you out as well...

:welcome: DHart!

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bruce... thank you for the info and the welcome. It's nice to know that the SF P60L will upgrade my Z2 to LED! I guess at $40 I need to ask myself if I should just spend more and buy another, LED, flashlight... like the JetBeam III.

Before I spring for that, can anyone suggest any alternatives which might be even better or brighter, or the same but at lower cost?

Thanks, in advance, to all!

Niconical

Enlightened
There is a relatively simple way to keep the Z2 as incan but make it rechargeable.

You will need a 3.7v lamp, like this one..... , the EO-4.

Then a 17670 battery, my choice would the AW protected 17670.

This gives you a similar output to the P60, with great runtime.
(Note: Don't be confused by lumens figures. Lumens Factory and Surefire measure in a different way so the numbers can't be directly compared without being translated).

There are then other options, moving onwards and upwards, but of course the further up you go, the less runtime you get. For example, my favorite is the Surefire P90 lamp, the one supplied in the 3 cell lights, but run in a 2 cell light with 2 rechargeables. brightness is the same, if not better, but of course runtime suffers.

Moving on to 18650 batteries will require either a custom body, or a bored Surefire body as the stock ones don't fit a 18mm battery.

The simplest options would be to choose between the 2 above. P60 type output, longer runtime, a single large cell. P90 type output, shorter runtime, a pair of cells.

I'll leave it to those more knowledgeable to offer some of the advanced options :)

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, this is cool.

I'm not so concerned with run times for my Z2 Combat... would be happy to just have super bright output.

Does the P90 lamp just drop-into my stock Z2/P60 reflector?

Thanks so much! Cool stuff!

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at one of Gene Malkoff's led dropins for your Z2. I'm a police officer and I carry a Z2 on my belt with Malkoff's M60 dropin 230 lumens of nice white light. The Malkoff dropin will set you back about $60 with shipping maybe a little less. You can use the normal CR123's or Li-Ion CR123's the Malkoff's will take up to 9 volts. Here's the web site http--www.malkoffdevices.com-shop2-

Last edited:

Niconical

Enlightened
Wow, this is cool.

I'm not so concerned with run times for my Z2 Combat... would be happy to just have super bright output.

Does the P90 lamp just drop-into my stock Z2/P60 reflector?

Thanks so much! Cool stuff!

Yes, the P90 is the same shape/size as the P60.

1. Get a P90, Marketplace or elsewhere, they're quite easy and cheap to find.
In fact, I think someone recently posted a 'good deal' thread where they found them for $4.99 each.

2. Get a pair of AW RCR123A batteries, and presumably you'll need a charger, also get from AW.

3. P90 in one end of the Z2, batts in the other, and off you go for P90 brightness for at least 30 mins. I say 30 mins based on my battery choice for the same lamp which is slightly different and lower capacity, but crunching the numbers, the AW RCR123A should get you 30 mins. Get a spare pair (or more) and your incan needs are always covered.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
DHart, welcome to the jungle.

No matter which way you go, the new LED drop-in will be quite a surprise. :huh:

-Trevor

SunStar

Enlightened
Is this the awesome photographer "DHart"?

If so, I've enjoyed many of your firearm photos. Can't wait to see what you can do with beamshots and flashlights!!

Welcome and glad you are here....
SunStar

Tough to beat the Z2 in form and function. If it were mine, I'd add a Malkoff M60 for "can't believe this is my Z2" output providing the use of both Cr123's and RCR123's. The Malkoff's are of very good build quality and will not disappoint. A couple of other upgrades you might consider... a new Pyrex Window Bezel and a Lock Out Tailcap.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to go rechargeable, either of your Surefires will take 16340 lithium batteries (16mm wide, 34mm long, cylindrical) - these are CR123 sized li-ion cells. Currently top of the awesome heap is the AW IMR series, which are inherently safe and don't explode under abuse.

Pila chargers are highly recommended, and currently on sale.

Your Z2 will host a great deal of LED mods, some pretty good ones starting at $10 if you're willing to import them from China yourself, and some truly excellent US-made ones in the vicinity of $60 from Malkoff Devices.

Your E2 can be converted to LED, but you'll need something like the E-MiniTower (search for E-MT, I think) or to send it to someone for professional work. (The Milky RoomSweeper by our very own Milkyspit springs to mind; it's a 700-lumen LED monster designed for SWAT use)

You'll quickly find that pro services can cost more than the light, and good dropins nearly as much as you paid for the surefire in the first place... you'll also find some remarkable bargains if you're willing to read and learn. :welcome:

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the excellent Z2, there is a lot to be said for an LED conversion. In general, longer runtimes at higher outputs and good ones are regulated which means you don't have the immediate downward movement of output. Also, much longer service life and immunity to shock (drops, etc.).

Best/brightest IMO is the Malkoff M60, although I prefer the M60F which has a very even flood. If you want to extend the runtime at the expense of output, you can go with an M60L or LF. There are also "W" (warmer color temp) versions but the output is slightly reduced. There are situations where the broader spectral output of an incan is important but IMO that is not a significant factor for the uses you cite.

Last edited:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW... this is so exciting. I never dreamed the world of flashlights was so deep and interesting.

Yes, this is DHart the photographer, usually found on the firearms forums.

Thanks so much for all the info, guys, I'm really pumped the get going with this stuff! I'm also looking for my first premium 1xCR123 light. I have a couple of cheapies in the $20 range from Target & Sportsmans Warehouse, but now starting to look into the good ones. Yee-haw. :thumbsup:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

You definitely need to read this thread:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=161536
It's a bit long, but you will learn a ton about how to upgrade your SureFire Z2 and E2e and all the options that you have.

Once you've read that, here is a nice thread of beamshots of a whole bunch of lamps and some LEDs that might interest you. BTW, this thread includes a P60 which is currently in your Z2, as well as the MN03 that is in your E2e, so you can easily compare them to others before you settle on buying something:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/202652

Good luck and be sure to ask if you have any questions!
Robert

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys are fantastic... thank you sooo much for all the info and links. I really needed a break from all the gun forums too! I love learning about all this stuff... guess I'm quite nerdularially-oriented! (what my wife calls me!) Even thinking I may want to learn how to build one of these myself.

I'm thinking I may go with the Malkoff M60F for the Z2 and I'm so tempted to send my E2 off to Milkyspit to get myself a RoomSweeper.

YES, I can see that I've definitely entered.... the CASH ZONE!!! :broke:

Long RunTime

Enlightened
You guys are fantastic... thank you sooo much for all the info and links. I really needed a break from all the gun forums too! I love learning about all this stuff... guess I'm quite nerdularially-oriented! (what my wife calls me!) Even thinking I may want to learn how to build one of these myself.

I'm thinking I may go with the Malkoff M60F for the Z2 and I'm so tempted to send my E2 off to Milkyspit to get myself a RoomSweeper.

YES, I can see that I've definitely entered.... the CASH ZONE!!! :broke:
:welcome:Good choice, I have the M60LF in my G2Z and love the beam. Hope to see some of your beamshots photo soon. Welcome to CPF friend.

SimpleIsGood229

Newly Enlightened
Yes, this is DHart the photographer, usually found on the firearms forums.
So it is you! Welcome to CPF! You haven't been on THR in quite some time (unless I've missed you).

I suggest the Malkoff M60 for your Z2. I have this same set up and completely love it! Get the M60W if you like a warmer tint.