Brightest LED that will fit in the U2 surefire

I am new to these forums and a bit overwhelmed by all the terminology. I want to upgrade my U2 lux 5 ( I think) to a much brighter led. Will the 6 level twist ring still work with a new led and pill/driver thingy? What should I buy and where? I have a ton of questions but I will start with this.

Has anyone done a P7 (again I think Im saying this correctly)? Is it posted with a diy thread anywhere?

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
With a bit of work you can get a MC-E to fit. There hasn't been a step-by-step DIY posted but look for AaronM's post on putting an MC-E in to a U2. That's as close to a step-by-step you're gonna get.

I'm in the process of finishing putting an MC-E in my U2.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Cree MC-E will work better. It is smaller then the Seoul P7 and can be wired in 2s2p like the 4 dies in the Luxeon V are wired. It should work the same after this swap except with more output.

If you don't feel confident, you can have a modder modify the light for you.

:welcome:

The Cree MC-E will work better. It is smaller then the Seoul P7 and can be wired in 2s2p like the 4 dies in the Luxeon V are wired. It should work the same after this swap except with more output.

If you don't feel confident, you can have a modder modify the light for you.

:welcome:

Thanks.......

Well Im pretty good at f'ing things up. Just kidding. I have a soldering iron and have been tinkering with things for years. I also have a dremel. I think I can do it if I have clear cut 411 on "how to". I have noticed there are different mc-e's out there. I see some that have 300 Lumens and some have 700 Lumens. They have different part numbers too. I like the 700 lumen idea. Is that possible in my light? Where do I buy the mc-e from and what part number/lumen combo do I order? I have looked at the one mod of the u2 I can find and it seems pretty clear except I dont know how to read the wiring schematic he posted.

OK after days of searching I found a US supplier of mc-e. Bummer no one replies here.

Is this the correct led? Not sure which Kelvin to buy. Seems they rate K differently then I know about with photography. With cameras higher K is warmer with LED's higher K is colder. Seems odd to me.
MCE4WT-A2-0000-000JE5LED WHITE 4000K XLAMP SMDMC-ECree IncWhiteNon-Standard SMDDigi-Reel®-3.2V4000K350mARound, 3.2mm110°Clear320 lmSurface Mount Available 1 Calculate

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK after days of searching I found a US supplier of mc-e. Bummer no one replies here.

Is this the correct led? Not sure which Kelvin to buy. Seems they rate K differently then I know about with photography. With cameras higher K is warmer with LED's higher K is colder. Seems odd to me.
MCE4WT-A2-0000-000JE5LED WHITE 4000K XLAMP SMDMC-ECree IncWhiteNon-Standard SMDDigi-Reel®-3.2V4000K350mARound, 3.2mm110°Clear320 lmSurface Mount Available 1 Calculate

Uh... I'm in to photography too and it's the same. For anything to do with color temp the higher the K the more white/cool/blue it is and the lower the more warm/yellow/red-ish.

Anyway you're looking for a Cree MC-E. Luminous flux bin "J" or higher. There is a member selling neutral white 5A MC-E which is about 4000k. J bin is about 320lm at 350mA at about 14v. There are higher luminous bins for the cool whites. With the top nearly 130% the light of a neutral white at the same drive currents.

The LEDs you link are the ones being discussed. Looks like it's $31.68 for one.

Last edited:

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
it looks like you found digikey the JE5 emitter is about as warm as you probably want. It is a nice bin and and they do a good job shipping.
They don't mind small orders and they pack everything in static free pouches.

http://www.arrownac.com/ also carries them and they take paypal. Arrow probably has the best selection of anyone i have seen. I wanted a cooler color and found M bins there and yet they have H bins still in stock.

Either of the above will have them to your door in about three day.

Eprom here on the board has to different bins also including the JE bin and he does a great job getting them out.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/211450

When you see 300 and 700 it depends on what amperage you are running them at to get those lumens

Dave

Thanks

Now Im confused about K temps. I use a raw converter for my raw picture files and more K warms the picture (example 6500K) and less K cools the picture (example 400K). Is raw conversion different then K we see or ??

Where can I purchase an osram 15w led for my m3 combat?

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
you can purchase those at digikey also you need to look for the ones marked 6 die. And with leds 10000k is cold and 4000k is warm

Dave

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks

Now Im confused about K temps. I use a raw converter for my raw picture files and more K warms the picture (example 6500K) and less K cools the picture (example 400K). Is raw conversion different then K we see or ??

Where can I purchase an osram 15w led for my m3 combat?

It could be your converter is applying the K value as a means of compensation. Example: This photo was taken under a 4000k light source therefore to get a better picture it'll cool everything down. Taken at 6500k? Lets warm it up.

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have noticed there are different mc-e's out there. I see some that have 300 Lumens and some have 700 Lumens. They have different part numbers too. I like the 700 lumen idea. Is that possible in my light? Where do I buy the mc-e from and what part number/lumen combo do I order? I have looked at the one mod of the u2 I can find and it seems pretty clear except I dont know how to read the wiring schematic he posted.

What you are probably seeing is the lumens at different inputs 320@350mA, [email protected], etc. Though the bin designation does indicate the max output i.e. M bin has more output than K bin. I believe CPF member Endeavour still has some K bin MC-E emitters for sale.

Hope this helps.
Cheers