"Oxy-Alkaline" cells -- whazzat???

paulr

Flashaholic
\"Oxy-Alkaline\" cells -- whazzat???

I was at Walgreens and saw some Kodak AA cells labelled "for digital cameras" and "lasts 3x as long as alkalines". I figured they were NiMH cells and they looked like a good deal at $8.75 for four. On closer inspection they turn out to be "Oxy-Alkaline", 1.5v cells. I guess they're some kind of alkaline formulation optimized for low internal resistance.

Anyone know more about these? I didn't buy any since I use NiMH for almost all of my AA applications.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: \"Oxy-Alkaline\" cells

At first I thought it sounded like marketing mumbo-jumbo to me...

Then I found this article:

http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_electronics/pressroom/cont2.asp?Filter=12&cont_id=429

[ QUOTE ]
The average number of shots taken using the PowerEdge [Oxy-Alkaline] batteries was 764; the average number of shots taken with Duracell M3 was 589; the average number of shots taken with Energizer e2 was 480. 

[/ QUOTE ]

So it looks like a slight improvement. I'd stick with NiMH...

muggsuxx

Newly Enlightened
Re: \"Oxy-Alkaline\" cells -- whazzat???

It's been around in Japan for quite some time.
FFFFFFFINALLY it reached Western Hemisphere, he?

Panasonic and Sanyo makes them, and Sanyo battery had the better result...I think.... Let me go and find the site for you. Have your babel.com ready. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Catapult

Enlightened
Re:

I used a digital camera that had four of the Kodak Oxy-Alkaline cells. I did not notice any difference from using these over normal alkalines so far. These things cost al lot more. I don't think the price is worth the improvement.