Members' experience by brand with leaking alkaline cells.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I feel like this is mostly an issue with off brand batteries. I have used energizer and duracell with no probelms of leaking. The brand that seems to leak the most for me is amazon basic brand batteries or any AA that come with chinese made products. Granted, I have used some AA lithiums for years with no problem of them leaking either.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is an issue with ALL brands, I had pretty much every brand leak.
Actually big brands have factories worldwide, some are better than others. I send USA made Duracell's to my family in Moldova, they say they work much better than the same Duracell they buy in Moldova. same thing I hear from friends in Ukraine. Duracell sold there is made in china, it is real Duracell, not a counterfeit. They say when I send them batteries they last longer and some toy cars even run faster.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted about this elsewhere but I recently found that a pair of Duracell AAs destroyed the battery contacts in a portable dictation recorder. One of the spring contacts was almost completely dissolved.
Sometimes I've had luck sourcing, por making replacement springs to replace the damaged ones like You have described.

It simply is crap having a quality piece of equipment's battery compartment spewed with the caustic leakage of alkaline batteries, and rendering them inoperable. Baking soda can only go so far.

Some of the major brands offer warranty cleanup and replacement. I don't recall anyone who has had a positive experience getting their device fixed or replaced due to their companies cell's leakages.

I've had several flashlights ruined from it.
All my emergency/standby lights now contain Lithium Primary cells, and the more frequently used ones have either NiMh's or USB Rechargeable Lion powered cells, both that are unlikely to leak. Nice part about the Lion cells is that that have a true 1.5V output that some devices, not including most flashlight's, simply can't function without the true 1.5V output, instead of the 1.2V of NiMh's.

My $600 Fluke meter, I keep the 9V cell separate within the bag to install when using it, and then I remove it after use. I just can't justify leaving any alkaline cells installed. Even though 9V alkalines leak less, but still leak or become bulged, and have the potential to ruin it.

There are a few varieties of 9V cells. Some contain 6 smaller sized 1.5V cells in series. Wikipedia has a good write up describing the different PLU's of 9V varieties, including lithium primaries.

I too have also had brand name "new" cells, well within their date, leak inside the packages before even opening them up.
I now steer clear of Alkaline cells, with the exception of 9V ones. Even our life saving smoke detectors are prone to leaking 9V cells. Thankfully they are replaced every 6 months, and have not had any mishaps with 9 Volter's, yet.
GL

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Some of the major brands offer warranty cleanup and replacement. I don't recall anyone who has had a positive experience getting their device fixed or replaced due to their companies cell's leakages.
GL
I remember looking at the warranty statement on an alkaline battery a long time ago, and it said (paraphrasing here) that if the battery leaked and destroyed your device, they would send you a new flashlight. So apparently they'll send me a flashlight in exchange for a destroyed dictation recorder. :(

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember looking at the warranty statement on an alkaline battery a long time ago, and it said (paraphrasing here) that if the battery leaked and destroyed your device, they would send you a new flashlight. So apparently they'll send me a flashlight in exchange for a destroyed dictation recorder. :(

Can You post a picture of it?
I'd like to help if I'm able to

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Can You post a picture of it?
I'd like to help if I'm able to
Thank you kindly, GL. I can get replacement battery contacts from DigiKey but soldering them is going to be a pain.

Zoom_H2.jpg
battery_contact_corrosion.jpg
battery_contact_destroyed.jpg

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd try stuffing some cotton under each of the contacts to keep debris out of the unit to scape, toothbrush off the excess goop. Then get some deoxit red to clean the rest. They look salvageable. . Or do as said and get new spring/contact to replace. Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I'd try stuffing some cotton under each of the contacts to keep debris out of the unit to scape, toothbrush off the excess goop. Then get some deoxit red to clean the rest. They look salvageable. . Or do as said and get new spring/contact to replace. Good luck. Let us know how you make out.
Thanks - I will try the cotton and toothbrush first. I also have a can of Deoxit sitting around. If this doesn't bring it back I'll order new contacts.

And I won't make the mistake of putting alkalines in it again! :ohgeez:

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've a small collection of springs and contacts removed from 6v batteries (larger) and battery holders or other devices which are not usable for reasons other than leakage contact damage. They sometimes can be used for salvage.

Dave

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've a small collection of springs and contacts removed from 6v batteries (larger) and battery holders or other devices which are not usable for reasons other than leakage contact damage. They sometimes can be used for salvage.

Dave
Yes!
That is what I say can be the least solution to this tragic leakage :).
GL

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had an issue collecting on battery companies' warranties. I had a piece of Fluke test equipment that got wrecked by Duracells. Sent it to Duracell and a few weeks later got a Fluke-sized check in the mail for its original purchase price. For stuff that isn't that stupidly expensive, usually you send in photos of the leaked batteries and equipment and they'll mail you a check or give you the option to send it in for repair.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes; NiCd and NiMH can leak at the +ve end around the vent holes. It's after seal breaks to allow venting, which could be from overcharging or other high temperature condition. It's usually not nearly as bad as alkaline fluid leaking at the -ve end of a 'leak, but may require some cleanup, and the cell is fit for disposal.

Dave

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had an issue collecting on battery companies' warranties. I had a piece of Fluke test equipment that got wrecked by Duracells. Sent it to Duracell and a few weeks later got a Fluke-sized check in the mail for its original purchase price. For stuff that isn't that stupidly expensive, usually you send in photos of the leaked batteries and equipment and they'll mail you a check or give you the option to send it in for repair.
I wonder what a relabeler like Costco does. Their cells are made in USA, but have no words to the effect of guarantee to replace damaged gear from leaks on the AA cells I have. I don't have the original package, though.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I now steer clear of Alkaline cells, with the exception of 9V ones. Even our life saving smoke detectors are prone to leaking 9V cells. Thankfully they are replaced every 6 months, and have not had any mishaps with 9 Volter's, yet.
GL
9v batteries are generally not a problem. They consist of six AAAA (or close to) cells, or stacked pillow-type cells, and the outer case protects pretty well. I run them down to nothing, worst I've seen is a bit of corrosion on +ve terminal on the outside, on a very small number.

One exception was an odd brand from a while back, don't see them any more. One time, I heard a loud "crack" sound nearby. Cells inside had expanded lengthwise and popped the rigid bottom out, more noise than damage. Looked like dead cells combined with very warm ambient. It was isolated incident.

Dave

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was Your Leaker(s) installed and not used in years, or do You think it could be the brand of cell that caused your leakage?
I've got GP and Eneloops that have been used regularly and also been left in standby lights for years with no issues.
Yes; NiCd and NiMH can leak at the +ve end around the vent holes. It's after seal breaks to allow venting, which could be from overcharging or other high temperature condition. It's usually not nearly as bad as alkaline fluid leaking at the -ve end of a 'leak, but may require some cleanup, and the cell is fit for disposal.

Dave
Does this apply to NIMH cells that subjected to over current? I can see that some lights that are dual AA and 14500 could have settings above and beyond the current outputs of NiMh cells that appear to work, but are in fact frying the NiMh cell.
Just asking...
GL