Members' experience by brand with leaking alkaline cells.

The-git

Newly Enlightened
I had some Duracell D's in a 5 cell Brinkmann from new in the early 90's to 2022.
I changed them out after I found a leaked Duracell AA welded in the cell compartment of my Mongo Mini.

Having read this thead, I am emptying the Brinkmann and the 3D cell Maglite of their Duracell Contents.
I'm trying EBC Li ions in the Mongo.
I do have a bunch of loaded Convoys lounging about.
I'd pick one of those up first anyway.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are all waiting on our pursestrings.
The more they get American's to consider and purchase Foreign made Alkaline cells, the more we Americans will lose
in the long run. It's a vicious never-ending cycle, agugggh.
I hope everyone considers NiMH's or Lithium Primary cell's moving forward to avoid pre-mature failure of their
flash-lights due to only a leaking alkaline cell(s) where the damage's has, or may have, are ongoing, or already have
done. Dealing with aftermath of leakers in one of your lights, does not have to happen! I've dealt with Alki-Leakies
from my past experiences of 35+Years using Alkaline cell's. Please use diligence to avoid falling victim of Alki-leaker
Syndrome :D
GL

It seems like Duracell is already doing this along with the other battery manufacturers. Noticed the Coast lights (which is also made in China) that comes with their own batteries in the lights are from China.

Though I haven't bought an alkaline in ages.. like before the year 1999. Most of the alkalines I get is from new devices, like flashlights.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Main takeaway from this topic ~
Get a bunch of Eneloops, and a proper charger for them.
Alkalines are horribly poor, outdated tech.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Main takeaway from this topic ~
Get a bunch of Eneloops, and a proper charger for them.
Alkalines are horribly poor, outdated tech.

People continue to buy and use them...so why is that? If you have good affordable
alternatives, use them. If you use 'leaks, do so judiciously and you need to keep an eye
on them.

Eneloops or other NiMH may be great, but not the answer to every use case.

Dave

Monocrom

Flashaholic
People continue to buy and use them...so why is that?....
Sheer number and volume of items that exist literally around the planet, even 3rd World countries, that are built specifically for that horribly outdated, and horrendously poor technology. Plus, the easy and massive availability of Alkalines. Yes, even in 3rd World countries.

Not only are you not finding Eneloops in the most squalid regions of those 3rd World countries, but you're literally not finding electricity in the shacks people call home. Tough to top off those Eneloops when there's nothing to plug the charger into. It's easy to forget that in those nations, our hobby is not a hobby. Flashlights, even basic 2D inca. plastic Eveready flashlights are considered a luxury. In some villages, desperately needed survival item.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Rayovac AA now ruined a clock of mine, clearly a design flaw on these

Thoroughly pissed off, every single one I have left is going in the trash,, my only 'throwaway' alkaline batteries are some C I have left.
When those are gone, never again w/ any alkaline.

Important add: These were the standard blue packaging Rayovac AA

Last edited:

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to get too far off track, but I do recall zinc batteries, from way back. Have not seen them in ages due to alkalines outperforming and their outlasting stigma. Eveready comes to mind 🤔 the old cat logo. You would have tochange them before they leaked because they were depleted.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Not to get too far off track, but I do recall zinc batteries, from way back. Have not seen them in ages due to alkalines outperforming and their outlasting stigma. Eveready comes to mind 🤔 the old cat logo. You would have tochange them before they leaked because they were depleted.
Seen those back in the day. Haven't seen them in about 10 years.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Carbon zinc - or more commonly heavy duty - cells are still available (here's a random source). I recall they're less leak-prone than alkalines. But less capable overall.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carbon zinc - or more commonly heavy duty - cells are still available (here's a random source). I recall they're less leak-prone than alkalines. But less capable overall.
Yes,
Hence the widespread adaption towards the Alkaline cell.
Carbon Zinc's are Less Leak Prone, but a bit lite on capacity and amount of their current outputs. :)

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen all three of the majors leak like a screen door on a submarine. My observations from the past 40 years are that the diehard brand are the only ones that I have never seen leak.
If I may,
Can You elaborate more on the diehard brand?
I'm only a +4 decadial user, and quite interested in your responses and comments regarding this subject.
Thank You in advance
GL

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Anybody who knows me knows I'm a big fan of Rayovac alkalines.

Their ""fusion" cells? Not so much. Those are horrible. Every single one in a 36pack of aaa's I had stashed leaked. Yup, all 36 after about 2 years in storage.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Their new high energy leak pretty bad too, and they are not even that old. they say 10 years no leak guarantee, but i had several leak already, in the box. they seem to be the worst leakers i've seen so far. i'm not comfortable to put them in any device.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
We purchase Varta Alkalines from a local Hardware chain for around $11.00 (36 pack), quite a hassle free solution for gaming controllers, with a high usage & high turn over, I occasionally find some loose from time to time and they appear to be fine.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use zinc-carbons selectively in some devices despite their much lower capacity: remotes, or
small lights which sit around and don't get checked as often as they should. They tend to get
bumpy on the surface, sometimes the bottom end corrodes, generally a lot less severe than
alkalines.

Dave

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody who knows me knows I'm a big fan of Rayovac alkalines.

Their ""fusion" cells? Not so much. Those are horrible. Every single one in a 36pack of aaa's I had stashed leaked. Yup, all 36 after about 2 years in storage.
Energizer bought ROV. I'm amazed that was allowed under anti-trust laws. I wonder what Energizer will do with/to ROV-will they improve it, or raid it for the trade secrets then kill its Blue Sky with leakers? Interesting time...