Terralux in here?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
That light uses standard reflectors, the TerraLUX TLE-300 uses collimators.

My Mag:

TLE300.jpg

gav6280

Enlightened
Sure does look simlar eh?

Wish i could just buy the housing on it's own, then i could put 3 q5's in there at about 1.2A each, some 18650's then end up with a really good light for not a lot of money.

gav6280

Enlightened
Ah yes that would be easy, but you have to look like a diver to be one, know what i mean....All bollocks really. It's just who's got the fastest, biggest, newest etc etc....

It's possibly a bit dated this, but i cant find a review for it?

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah yes that would be easy, but you have to look like a diver to be one, know what i mean....

eer no, havent got a clue really. :poke:
As Starhalo said just throw it into a modified Mag. I think it would be a much better body for it anyway as you can set it up with a goodman handle and a cannister for long burn times.

If you dive buddys are worried that you dont have the latest and greatest.... find new dive buddies.

gav6280

Enlightened
Yes sounds a good idea and i may well give it a go, but i just dug out a review for the terralux and it was saying it's actually very floodie, so i am not sure it would be that great.

Does anyone one have some beam shots?

What i ment was, it's always nice when you can flash some nice new kit about ad it gets noticed.

Certainly here in the UK there is sometimes a sense of equipment envy. I see it all the time, people jumping in like a christmas tree. We say "all the gear and no idea"....Im sure Steve will chime in on this one shortly.

Last edited:

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
We get that here too with some divers. I guess I could even be accused of it myself sometimes.
But I tell you what. I get a lot more WOWs! from my 4xQ5 aspheric than my mate does with his 21w HID.

Your main concern should be how well the gear is going to work for you.
Im not such a fan of large bulk lights like the one you linked to. You either loose the use of a hand while using it or it takes up a lot of real estate on you kit if you clip it off. For the same price or cheaper you could build yourself a decent can light that puts out a much better beam and more lumen and run longer.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Yes sounds a good idea and i may well give it a go, but i just dug out a review for the terralux and it was saying it's actually very floodie, so i am not sure it would be that great.

The TLE-300 has a very unique beam that is essentially one giant hotspot with no spill; combined with a modest beam angle, it's between floody and throwy. Picture a narrow spotlight or a broad aspheric beam. It's slightly shaped like a multi-pointed star (the collimators work so well that they partially project the shape of the emitters) but you don't notice it in normal/outdoor use.

What's the thickness of your UCL lens used with the TerraLUX TLE-300?

I'd estimate it to be between 1-2mm; it's the one they sell over at Lighthound: http://www.lighthound.com/521mm-UCL-Lens-for-Mag-C-amp-D-Size-Flashlights_p_44.html

TexLite

Enlightened

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I would definitely not go diving with a Maglite, or most any any flashlight for that matter. Diving lights only for diving.

I'd carry a Fenix P1D as a backup/extra underwater, but that's about it.

gav6280

Enlightened
Ahhh, but these are not your standard Mag lights.

Doubled up stepped lenses
Doubled up and thicker o rings
Lots of silicone grease
Stock switches removed
Head tig welded to body
etc, etc...