Best Value in gun-mounted light???

MarkIAlbert

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a 1" diameter flashlight to give to a friend of mine who hunts. I'm familiar with the SF products and own an OLight Warrior (with the remote switch), but was looking for something in the $50-$60 range (including the wired remote switch - leaf switch, I believe).

The light can be single ouput level, but should be able to put out 180+ lm. He already has a Picatinny rail mount.

Who else does lights like these? Does Fenix make remote switches for any of its lights?

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

FLT MEDIC

Newly Enlightened
The Ultrafire WF-501B Cree R2-WC 250-Lumen single mode LED Flashlight with matching Superfire Gun Mount Pressure Pad switch totals US$21 at DealExtreme (sku 16240 and sku 1025). Not familiar with Fenix prices and accessories. Good luck!

Monkiee

Newly Enlightened
You can get a used Surefire G2 or G2L.
Buy http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14023 this pressure switch
And http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11836 this LED drop-in.

The G2 you can get from the B/S/T for about $30 and maybe $25. Or you can just buy a new G2 for about $40. And since it will be mounted on a weapon, i assume that it will be on for about a few minutes max. So you dont have to worry about overheating.
If you are using it for excessive amounts of time ex. 30+ minutes it might be good to get an aluminum bezel separately from the B/S/T.

SimpleIsGood229

Newly Enlightened
I recommend a Surefire 6P and a Malkoff M60. This should cost a hair over $110. In my opinion, Malkoff is more worth it over the the cheap dropins--especially for a weapon light.

By the way, what's this being mounted to?

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clarification - does he own a mount for the light, or does his weapon have a Picatinny mount point?

-Trevor

FirstDsent

Enlightened
Dude,

(Edit: Ditto metlarules! Three people posted in the time it took me to write this.)

For the price these make the G2 obsolete:

Check this Solarforce LM-1 weapon mount for $30
Then add the L2B R2 light for $28. It's well brighter than 180 lm.
and the PTS pressure switch for $12

MrGman published a great sticky in this forum with actual lumens for many popular lights. The Solarforce R2 lamp assy tested out at 202lm. The lamp on the SoFo site isn't called R2S, but it is SoFo's only R2 with a voltage range that will accept the "3 RCRs" in 'Gman's test host:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGman
"Various readings I have collected over the last 2 years. More to be added. Consideration for Review section.
Orange readings are Incandescents, (forgive me). Truth is Truth.

Light____________________Real IS Lumens________Batteries__________Notes____________ ______,
Browning Black Ice 9V____165, (no bezel/window)____3 Lith primary____--------incan----------------------,
with Magstar Xenon lamp__125___________________3 Lith primary____-------incan-----------------------,
SureFire 6PLED________82________________2 primaries______original LED__________,
Solarforce R2-S___________202___________________3 RCRs___________Browning Black Ice 3 cell host."

I am astounded at the quality of these Solarforce lights/accessories for the price. If your friend already has a 1" mount, then this killer light/pressure switch is only $40.

I recently got all three of these for my... um, actually I don't have any guns, see? I got it for my... my bike! Yeah that's it! I have the only bicycle with a picatinny rail on it and an ambidextrous safety.

The tailcap threads are compatible with similar SureFire lights, and are very smoothe. The Dia. is 1" and will fit all 1" mounts. It is very bright. The pressure switch is the nicest one I have used. It is actually a fairly thick sturdy molded rubber pad with a grippy texture -not like the shrink tube tape switches available everywhere. It is momentary on only.

The matte black LM-1 mount is flawless. No machine marks, and a really nice finish; two silicone O-rings, very accurate picatinny lever mount. It adds 1 CR123 battery to a light, but the input voltage for the L2B light is 3-12.6 so it can handle 3 LiIons @ 4.2V each fresh off the charger.
The only other mount like this that I know of, is SureFire $$.

I also got this rail cover w/switch pocket from Falcon. It is well made, and has two sizes of inserts to fit SureFire or Streamlight pressure switches. The Solarforce switch fits the narrower SF insert, but it is a little longer. I had to use a sharp razor blade to carefully carve out the far end a little to make it fit. Now it fits like a dream and holds the switch securely without any additional adhesive or two-sided tape.

If you go for the over-the-top "tactical" (LOL!) look, see THIS radical bezel for these lights.

Bernie

Last edited: