Surefire E1B in -40c

Codey

Newly Enlightened
I work on a drilling rig in Northern Canada, and experience some pretty harsh weather sometimes. I started off my last rotation at work with a rig move in -40c weather. When we're moving the rig, there is no where to warm up or escape the elements as everything is being disassembled and made ready for transport.

My current EDC at work is a Surefire E1B and a Small Regular Sebenza. Pretty much everything freezes and starts acting up when it gets that cold and my EDC was no exception.

My Sebenza was the first to give me grief. It froze shut and proved quite difficult to open due to the small thumb stud. When the blade finally broke free it was very stiff opening and closing, possibly due to the effects of the cold on the metal, I'm not sure. The there is the whole freezing metal and bare skin issue that makes use more than uncomfortable.

When it came time for the E1B to perform I was pleasantly surprised as I figured it wouldn't work at all. I'm guessing ice built up in the tailcap because it was very gritty and made an audible crunching sound when first pressed. After I cleared the frost from the lense and pressed the tailcap, the light came on. Although the beam had a faint flicker to it, it worked and it was as bright as usual. The flicker was annoying, but considering that's the worst symptom of the cold, I'm very happy. I used it a fair bit and every time I needed light the E1B came on. I think that day was a great test of my EDC and because of it I'll be making some changes, but the E1B will not be one of them.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty cool to hear that the E1B was okay in -40°C. IIRC, -40°C is actually the minimum operating temperature for CR123 cells.

Robert

Kestrel

Flashaholic
That was interesting, thanks for sharing. Makes me remember winter camping in Alaska, using a mini-maglite with 2 AA nicads...:sick2:

Moka

Enlightened
This thread makes me glad to live in Australia... -40 BLOODY HELL THATS COLD!

Great to hear my E1B would work in that temperature if I was stoopid enough to move anywhere that cold... :nana: :crackup:

cree_buyer

Newly Enlightened
thanks for sharing your 'tried & trued' story Codey!

now submit that to Surefire :eek:

i'm curious of how rechargeable RC123a batteries perform in that kind of weather...

stay warm!

danpass

Newly Enlightened
hmmm .............. hasn't even hit +40F here.

you got defective weather or something?

:grin2::nana::wave:

:whistle:

:sssh:

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
In conditions that cold, keep your EDC in a pocket that is closest to your body, such as an inner coat pocket, and your body warmth should be enough to ensure it works normally when turned on. Then when it's in use, the heat from the emitter itself will keep it working smoothly.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for sharing your 'tried & trued' story Codey!

now submit that to Surefire :eek:

i'm curious of how rechargeable RC123a batteries perform in that kind of weather...

stay warm!

RCR123's wouldn't work too well in that cold of temperature. Lithium rechargeable cells (LiCo/LiMN) have a minimum operating temperature of ~14°F/-10°C. -40°C is really cold; it's pushing it for lithium primary cells even :eek:

Robert

Last edited:

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oooooooh, brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, that IS cold!

Thanks for sharing your story.

cree_buyer

Newly Enlightened
hey thanks fer the specs RobertM!

i bet you were using Surefire branded primaries no?

holy cr*p :faint: those Chris Reeve Sebenza knives costs an arm & a leg! consider a Spyderco Military or Paramilitary knife, butter smooth action, with large 'patented?' thumb hole for easy opening with gloves even...

:broke:you guys hiring up in canuck???

quokked

Enlightened
This thread makes me glad to live in Australia... -40 BLOODY HELL THATS COLD!

It was actually +30°c for most of last week down here in Melbourne Australia, perfect beach weather if you ask me with the nice sea breeze.
Cold? What cold? :) the lowest i've seen in Melb is ~-1°c and that's RARE
On the flip slip the E1B runs at the +40°c temperatures as well, it's my EDC.

1996alnl

Enlightened
Thanks for sharing your story codey.
The fact that your E1B worked in those exreme conditions is a testament to Surefire's reliability (not to mention quality),it's nice to hear stories like this and when i look at my E1B from now on i'll think "man you are one kick *** little light".

Codey

Newly Enlightened
I'm pretty impressed with this little light. Like I said, almost nothing works when it gets that cold. IIRC my watch and cellphone stop working around -20c. I was using Surefire primaries, in my experience these are the only way to go when pushing limits. RCR123s don't work well much below -10c.

As far as knives go I'm looking at getting rid of the Sebenza and maybe picking up a Spyderco Military, Strider SMF, or ZT Mudd. I'm still a little undecided.

And no, the company I work for has suspended all hiring. :broke:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Is it legal to carry a fixed blade there? That would alleviate you from even having to touch skin-fusing metal.
Crunching/grinding in the switch sounds a little strange though. Might want to keep a backup switch handy.

-40 !!! :sick: Coldest Ive ever been in was -15 in Minnesota, that was unbearable, I couldn't breathe the air it was so cold.

what kind of watch was it?

Last edited:

GPB

Enlightened
Glad to hear the E1B is up to that kind of task. Would a Boker ceramic blade be a little easier on your skin ? Its a fragile blade as it can't take any kind of prying, but at least its not metal.