Good light for LEO?

seatown7

Newly Enlightened
Any suggestions for a modded and/or sexy rugged, rechargable light for a police officer? I currently have a Blackhawk Falcata and a Surefire 6PZ or something similar. Thanks for you suggestions!

balou

Enlightened
Well, the Pelican 7060 or 8060. The former is the LAPDs standard flashlight, the latter is the bigger version of it. Both can be charged without taking out any batteries, and also have a 12v car charging option.
Some like the Blackhawk Gladius, the Fenix TK10 and TK11 also seem to be popular.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Rechargeable as in cradle charging?

The Pelican 7060 and 8060 are two lights that could work. There are a few more but I don't remember them off the top of my head.

As for the Surefire, check here for a LED drop-in.

:welcome:

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
Streamlight Stinger DS. Perfect balance between flood and throw. rechargeable, tailcap or mag style switch, high medium low and a strobe....

IMO very good light

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go for the Pelican. Specificaly the 7060. The light is tough as nails and Pelican's warranty is unbeatable.

I say the 7060 over the 8060 because the 7060 has a better implemented battery system and is much smaller and lighter. But if you need the 8060's huge runtime, you should get that one.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any suggestions for a modded and/or sexy rugged, rechargable light for a police officer? I currently have a Blackhawk Falcata and a Surefire 6PZ or something similar. Thanks for you suggestions!

How much money do you have to spend? Do you want an incandescent light or led light? Do you want a light the same size as the Falcata or SF Z2? Do you want rechargeable batteries that will fit them or a totally new rechargeable light?

jbosman1013

Enlightened
I would start with putting a Malkoff in your surefire and using that as your backup. I will also suggest the 7060 I got one for christmas, its an impressive light. The 7060 has amazing throw but its use at close quarters in not that great, the side spill is projected in a more foward direction because of the deep, narrow reflector. I am not a LEO but if I were this would be my choice of lights, hard to beat the quality. I think I would have my P7 mag too for when you really need to turn night to day. :D

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why does everybody recommend a light before finding out what a person's requirements for a light are?

He said good light for LEO, and uses rechargeables. Liberator is the first thing that popped into my head.

You can't deny it's a good light for LEO. And it can use rechargeables.

TacticalGrilling

Newly Enlightened
Full size? Without a doubt: 5.11 Light for Life.
Mid-size? Hands down the Inova T4.

Just my $.02

-Nick
TacticalGrilling.com

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rechargeable light is what he said not rechargeable batteries. Highlighted emphasis is mine.

seatown7

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for the vauge description of what I want. I'd like a light thats the same size as the Falcata or P6. I can recharge batteries if it's worth the trouble of getting a charger/batteries over a light I can just slide into a charger and grab on the go. I don't care about price...much. I'd like decent run time for those times when I have to search a large area. Brightness is a must for blinding bad guys and I like some of the new LED lights, others aren't bright enouh. I don't like a light that gets hot. The Malkoff set up for my P6 is tempting.

MavZ28

Newly Enlightened
Its going to be tough to have someone on here give you exactly what will be best, but take their suggestions into consideration.

I myself am a former Army guy who grew up with Surefire. But now as a police officer I have broadened my horizons.

You'll have to take many things into account. Generally for your price range and stated 3-4 needs, most people will suggest the solid choices that are all within that range, so you're off to the right start simply by doing research here.

But what will set those lights apart that are in the same category that make it best for you, is for you to decide. The best thrower, nor the brightest rated light will not be the best light always.

Here's my two cents though. I was issued a stinger, so thats my primary and its convienent to charge and has an ok heft as an impact weapon (there are better ones, but it does work). Hopefully as a LEO you will always have more than one on you. Personally for me, I always find myself instinctively grabbing my pocket light first anyway. So battery life is key for my secondary as well. Whats your tendancy? Also, I want my pocket light to be as bright as possible, or at least more of a thrower than my stinger.

Here's where your circumstances come into play. I have a deep billy pocket in my uniform. Because I want to have a solid lasting and bright light (again, the comprimise a bit, you can't have the brightest longest lasting light in a pocket light), I'm opting now for the Olight t25 tactical. Its a little bit long compared to your current P6, but again, it works for me because my uniform pocket is deep enough to handle it. It uses 2 aa's, which I will get eneloops, because its going to be cheaper for me to recharge and those batteries are solid IMO. The UI and strobe is not something I have on my stinger, and again, i instinctively grab my pocket light, so for stressful situations, I want this for my pocket light along with being the brightest thrower of my arsenal. It has good features for my tendancies. Do you find yourself twisting your tail cap or locking the button? There are even reverse tail caps and considering if you like to have a clip or a nonrounded light on the edge of the light.(believe me, small point, but when you set it down, you DON'T want it rolling off the hood).

This could be seen as nit-picking, but I value each of these considerations as LEO. The options are out there, so why not get the one that fits you. Also, try not to get two completely different lights from your primary. Create those good habits. I'm going with the Olight because my first primary was my trusty E2e, but its not anything like the stinger with both the twisting tail cap and button. It does off in my pocket when my duty belt hits it akwardly, or having to twist it off will make for a bad day when I need it instantly. Consider that for sure!

If you're on here, you're probably serious about making the right purchase. Some enthusiasts simply enjoy buying for their reasons. You buy it because it could save your life. Take their expertise into consideration, but at the end of the day......you have to make it work for you. Take your time and definately get your hands on a few before buying.

TacticalGrilling

Newly Enlightened
Nick

Just curious as to how you can recommend a light that isn't even out yet or in a police officer's hands yet.

After speaking to the designer at SHOT this year, and spending a few hours with my local rep and his light, it seems to strike a good balance of features: adequate (for most) runtime, great intensity, and excellent recharge time. I cannot speak to the durability or longterm usage of the light, but I did like the features as presented and experienced. I would advocate this over an SL20X, M@g, or similar "full-size" duty light, barring any issues with longterm service life and durability.

Just my $.02

-Nick

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for the vauge description of what I want. I'd like a light thats the same size as the Falcata or P6. I can recharge batteries if it's worth the trouble of getting a charger/batteries over a light I can just slide into a charger and grab on the go. I don't care about price...much. I'd like decent run time for those times when I have to search a large area. Brightness is a must for blinding bad guys and I like some of the new LED lights, others aren't bright enouh. I don't like a light that gets hot. The Malkoff set up for my P6 is tempting.

Personally I would recommend a Malkoff M60 and either AW's 17670's or 2 CR123 from AW and a charger from AW as well.I carry either my SF Z2 w a Malkoff M60 (rated at 230 lumens) or my Gladius Maximis w Tenergy Li-Ion 900 MaH 3.0 volt Cr123's

Last edited:

bones_708

Enlightened
Well at the same size as a 6p the #1 light is the streamlight strion. The local cop shop will have them so you can look before you buy and they really are almost idiot proof. Home and car charger, cradle charger at that. Out of the box for a non or even new flashaholic cop you can not beat streamlight. This is what they do, make lights for police. Not the tech-geek or tactical junkie cop but the average regular police. You really can't miss by starting with a streamlight and later when you know more experimenting with different light options.